Scope shadow in Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Riflescope

Dadnatron

Purchased a Viper PST 6-24X50 and was eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Took it out and noticed a significant limitation, at least in my scope.

With correct eye relief, at 6X I see about 80% of the FOV with a top and bottom crescent of gray/black shadow, similar to when you are not at proper eye relief. However the sides (3 and 9 o'clock) are fine, its just a crescent spanning from about 9:30 to 2:30 on top and mirrored on bottom losing both the top and bottom 10% of the FOV. There is no eye positioning which improves this aspect of the scope.

When moving to 24X... this diminishes... however there remains a faint 'haze' of shadow around the FOV periphery, despite eye repositioning.

I have never had anything more than 3X9 cheap Tasco scope. I do have an OLD... >30yr Leupold 3x9 that ended up having vapor internally, hence I got the Tasco last minute because it was all that was available.

I called Vortex and they said this is a known issue with this scope and that it should 'go away' at about 9X. Basically in order for them to get this magnifcation range of 4... you see the inner portion of the tube at 6X.

I have never seen this before... it bothers me significantly... but I like the range. I can return the scope without issue... however it makes me worry about all these high range zoom scopes which I see.

Vortex makes a 2-10x44 scope which is intriguing for Predator Pursuit... but it is a 5X mag range... even worse than the 4X of the previously mentioned scope.

My question to you is ... Is this normal? Do you simply pay for... but ignore the lower range of a zoom? Do you ignore the visual loss? I am used to a clean, wide open circle... and this Vortex is NOT THAT AT ALL. I don't want to continue looking at high range zooms... if they are ALL LIKE THIS.

I cant believe vortex....they know that the ffp model is supposed to be utilzed at all powers. A known issue means defect. I would return it and get a nikon or trijicon. One thing i have noticed over the years is when you pick up a scope and you get quick clean eye relief its a better quality scope. I tried the vortex and thought the glass quality was less than nikon. Vortex got the illumination part and zero stop part correct. So far i think trijicon accupoint is best glass for the money when you can get them on sale. Only bad part is reticle is thick. Where did you buy it?

The 2-10 is actually a 2.5-10 so it is the same 4x magnification range as the other PSTs. I own a 2.5-10 mil/mil and I have no issue with the scope at any magnification. I would buy another without hesitation.

Apparently, this problem is only "normal" for Vortex. Swarovski Z5 scopes have a 5:1 zoom ratio and a 1" tube. They do not suffer from any limitation in the field of view. Bushnell, Leupold and others have high zoom ratio scopes that do not have this problem.

An optical design in which the field rays are stopped by the erector tube is a poor optical design. I'm guessing that Vortex hastily pushed the scope into production without testing it. Vortex Viper scopes also have higher glare than other scopes at that price point. Glare reduces contrast in some lighting conditions. These optical issues suggest to me that Vortex outsources their optical design and test, probably to the offshore factory that makes the product.

That's too bad for us, because Vortex scopes have lots of other positive features for their price point.

I've never heard of this in a vortex before...there are lots of people on here that have that scope so im sure they will chime in.

I have the plain viper 6.5x20x44bdc ret and it is the most crisp, clear scope I've ever had at all power ranges.

I would try calling them again and see if you can talk to a supervisor or atleast someone different. There is no way they are selling a top end scope that you can't get full FOV at all power ranges

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI've never heard of this in a vortex before...

+1 I have a hard time believing that is a "known problem" with the Vortex scopes based on my own personal experiences (3 of their PST's in 4x zoom range) and the bazillion good reviews out on the interwebs. I'd call them back and talk to someone else.

I picked up a new 6x24x50 PST I.L. a few weeks ago. Read this thread and had to take it out and check. I cannot seem to duplicate this issue.

I've also heard that this is a "known problem" and only effects that specific model. Supposedly the 6-24 2nd focal plane models don't have that issue, only first focal plane.

Back