Using scent

I'm not an authority on this particular topic, but as usual I do have an opinion. I purchased a bottle of Essense of Skunk about 20 years ago. The bottle is made of glass and has a screw-on cap and the whole top of the bottle was sealed with wax, presumably to keep the scent from escaping. I opened it, put a little dab of the thick liquid on some little felt pads that were inside a plastic device about the size of a silver dollar that had a screw on closure and a safety pin on the back for fastening it to your clothes. I carried these little plastic things in double plastic bags and the smell permeated through the plastic. My hunting clothes reaked!!! I threw the plastic holders away.

Anyway, I made sure the little bottle of the pure stuff had the cover fastened tightly and put that little jar inside a glass pint jar and fastened that lid on very tightly. I checked the jar about a year ago and the odor still seemed as strong then as it was when I first opened the jar. I just hope someone doesn't drop the jar on the garge floor and break them both open :eek: :eek:

Just guessing, but I'd think that if you kept the lid on tight, there wouldn't be a lot of deterioration of the product. I could be wrong too, though, because once exposed to the outside air, some of those scents may deteriorate rapidly.

Scents will stay good as long as the cap is on them. My dad has trapping lures and fox urine that is still good today and he bought them 20 years ago. Just keep it covered and it should be
fine. You can always just open the bottle and see
if it still smells if you are unsure.

Back