Suggestions to help with night vision

Pete Robinette

I just purchased the MX-160 Beta wolf signature series NV from HTRN and love it. I have a low quality 3 x 9 scope "redhead. It came off of my 17 hmr. I use a 22 hornet now and only hunt yotes.
I need a scope that is a little better when I attach the NV to it. I see that nikon buckmaster scopes say 92 percent anti-reflection capability for high levels of light transmission. I'm willing to spend up to $400 for the scope. Just payed out the nose for NV.
My shots are around 100-150 yards max.
Anyone on here have any suggestions to help me out?

Pete,

A scope with a large front objective (50mm or larger) and lower variable settings (2.5x or lower) will give you the best results for NV purposes. The European style scopes (30mm tubes) also tend to gather light better than the smaller tube scopes. I currently use a Nikon Monarch European Scope that has a 50mm front objective and a 2.5 x 10x variable power range. This one might be a little higher than your range but I haven't looked at them recently. I have heard that there are some 56mm front objective scopes on the market but I am guessing they might be pretty pricey. Kevin

Gman

do you know if the Weaver 56mm is any brighter than the 50mm? it's only $10 higher than the 50mm. I just sold the ATN Night Arrow I had on my Bushy and am looking for a scope to use with the monoblock and my PVS-14 in it's place. I am hoping I can mount it further forward on the rail to give me some more eye relief. does the illuminated reticle get too bright to use with the PVS?

Kevin and GMAN thanks for your info. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to reply. I have the same qusetion about the illuminated recticle. Will it plur any of the NV.

Kevin, I want to tell ya I have enjoyed the MX-160 so far!!! I'm seeing things now that I would have never and did not ever see before. I already have stories
grin.gif

Thanks again

Originally Posted By: ShurshotGman

do you know if the Weaver 56mm is any brighter than the 50mm? it's only $10 higher than the 50mm. I just sold the ATN Night Arrow I had on my Bushy and am looking for a scope to use with the monoblock and my PVS-14 in it's place. I am hoping I can mount it further forward on the rail to give me some more eye relief. does the illuminated reticle get too bright to use with the PVS?

The 50mm exit pupil is 5.2 and the 56 mm is 5.6 @ 10x. Theoretically depending on your age and eyes you might notice a little difference if you used the scope at that magnification which is not practical at night. Anything below 7x with either scope is more light than a 20 year old with perfect eyes can utilize. (7mm) (That discussion usually opens a big can of worms). The 50 will do what you want and you will not have the extra size and weight to deal with.

As for the illuminated reticle this scope is very good. I have the German #4 and the illuminated single dot in the center of the cross hair can be adjusted to barely visible. No blooming in the lens.

Last edited:
thanks Gman. good info. I think I'll give it a shot. I have a couple of other rifles that don't have any glass on them so I am sure it will find a good home if the PVS doesn't work out with it.

Using illuminated reticles on a daytime scope with night vision on the rear attachment is a trial and error process. Some units have a low enough setting and others don't. The only one I can recommend for sure will work is the Leupold LEU112195 VX-R 3x-9x-50mm with a Firedot Duplex Illuminated Reticle. This one has a low enough setting that puts a nice pinpoint dot on the duplex cross and will not white-out the night vision. Kevin

thanks for that info Kevin. If this Weaver doesn't work out, I may just get one. I ordered the Weaver on Thursday and got a confirmation from Natchez, but that's it, no tracking number. so I assume it hasn't even shipped yet. do you sell the Leupold LEU112195? I have a Ruger 77/22 that I just use as a plinker without a scope that I will put the Weaver on if it doesn't work out with the PVS. I will know soon I hope.

I tried the nikon buckmaster on the pvs 14 worked great for the price. 50mm. Some scopes due reflect more when you zoom with nv. Also depends on the illuminator and illuminator glare or objects in way.

Originally Posted By: Shurshotthanks for that info Kevin. If this Weaver doesn't work out, I may just get one. I ordered the Weaver on Thursday and got a confirmation from Natchez, but that's it, no tracking number. so I assume it hasn't even shipped yet. do you sell the Leupold LEU112195? I have a Ruger 77/22 that I just use as a plinker without a scope that I will put the Weaver on if it doesn't work out with the PVS. I will know soon I hope.

Sureshot, I don't sell the scope but I did have a local customer that tried it out and it worked great with his MX-160 setup. I think his PM handle is family guy....you might send him a personal message and ask him how he likes it in an actual hunting environment. Kevin

I got the Weaver 2.5x10x50 from Natchez scope today and I must say I am very impressed with the glass. I connected the monobloc and the PVS-14 and that thing is 18 1/2 inches long...
scared.gif

I took it outside just now and I must say I am very impressed with it even up to 10x it was clear as a bell! now all I need to do is get a 6 inch rail extension to move it all forward and I think I can make it work great with the eye relief. I screwed up and only bought 1 ring, but I need the rail adapter anyway and since it is going to raise it 1/2 inch, I will need low profile rings too. It won't be worth a hoot for daytime shooting (I don't think) after I move it forward but I have other rifles for daytime use.

I'll post another pic after I get it all put together.

Weaver.jpg

ggg makes an optical rail but its center cut down the middle. and I heard center cut rails don't like lugs like the larue one piece mount.

I would try to stay away from raising the rail height too much. i tried it and my chin was on the stalk instead of a good cheek weld.

I would try to get a one piece scope mount. Also who makes that monoloc?

Let us know what you get Shurshot.

Contact egw. They hve rails and I think brownells sells them but I would think you would want to extend over the handguard. I don'suggest putting any rings on the handguard area. What about burris one piece scope they are reasoanble. But I personally like the larue 104.

I have always read that you should not mount any optics to the forearm. do you disagree with that? I haven't ordered anything yet because I can't find anything to move it forward enough. still trying to figure out what I can do...

the only other thing I can think of is a clip on or a D-760...
scared.gif

I just don't think I will be happy until I get a D-760. hahaha

I just talked to a guy that built a different AR for me. He is going to see if a 14" free floating rail he has will fit it. I am willing to give it a shot. I am still leary about mounting a scope to it. seems I have read the POI can change if you do, but I am about to find out.
smile.gif

I tried the free floating with lasers on stag3g. free floating will not hold zero. And if you take it off and put it on again it wont be zero. Less gadgets to get it to work is best. Please keep us posted on what you do. Thanks

I guess I am hard headed enough to try it with the knowledge that I may be wasting more money. I just want to exhaust the last thing I can before I break down and buy a D-760. If I can't get this to work out with higher magnification and hold zero at least I can say I tried. there is just no other way I can figure out a way to get all this mounted. there is nothing that will give more than about 3 or 4 inches otherwise.

if nothing else it will give me plenty of room to mount a Torch down the road...
smile.gif

Back