Lookin for a 308 and need suggestions

steve154

I am hankerin for a 308. I am a DPMS fan and was looking at the new 308 long range lite link I cant find it anywhere and a call to DPMS indicates an 11 month wait.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I was looking at the rock river offerings and they look good but, I don't know. Wait will probably be about the same anyways. Just looking for feedback from anyone who might own a heavy, long barrel 308. No packing this one up and down mountains. I want a straight up target and woodchuck whackin machine, coming in at $1500.00, or less.

I have looked at the FN's quite a bit online and it is hard to find anyone that says anything bad about them. Thanks for the input.

I'd say build what you want. You could build a heck of a nice one for $1500. Check out 308AR.com for some tips. You can find good barrels and parts at Fulton Armory, Rainier, Midway, JSE surplus, and probably others I can't think of. JMO, also check out Gunbroker, sometimes you'll see the heavy DPMS 308's for under 1k.

Don't forget the Remington R-25, the only thing not DPMS is the bbl.
Mine shoots just under moa. I like it.

What do I look for to know that it accepts the pmags? I have seen that there are different mags that they accept but, is there a spec that I am looking for?

Rock River uses only FN/FAL mags. Inch pattern or metric.

Armalite came out last SHOT show with a new lower that accepts Pmags, not sure how available those are.

There's a long list of Pmag compatible lowers on the Magpul website.

•Additional commercial rifle compatibility includes the KAC SR25, DPMS LR308, LWRCI REPR, LaRue OBR, Bushmaster .308 ORC, LMT .308 MWS*, Remington R-25, POF P-308, JP Enterprises LRP-07, Les Baer .308, Colt LE901-16S, the new Armalite AR-10A,

I have a CMMG 16" that shoots pretty good, not on par with the Rock River I had, but I have very few mag feed issues now.

Remember that ar-308's are not milspec like ar15's are. I didn't want to wait for the dpms lite hunter, so i went with the cmmg mkIII #38A20FB, i use mine for packing and bench type shooting and it works.

I have dropped yodies at 500+ yds with it using 155gr amaxs, and it weighs in at 8 3/4 pounds with scope so my arms aren't falling off after a day of packing it up and down hills. blue

Originally Posted By: jlindholm70
Armalite came out last SHOT show with a new lower that accepts Pmags, not sure how available those are.

Had one in my hands last Friday.

This is good to know.
I wonder if Armilite is making a transition, over time, to this platform?

Originally Posted By: jlindholm70Rock River uses only FN/FAL mags. Inch pattern or metric.

There's a long list of Pmag compatible lowers on the Magpul website.

•Additional commercial rifle compatibility includes the KAC SR25, DPMS LR308, LWRCI REPR, LaRue OBR, Bushmaster .308 ORC, LMT .308 MWS*, Remington R-25, POF P-308, JP Enterprises LRP-07, Les Baer .308, Colt LE901-16S, the new Armalite AR-10A,

I have a CMMG 16" that shoots pretty good, not on par with the Rock River I had, but I have very few mag feed issues now.

Ok this might sound crazy and maybe a hard find depending on your lgs but...take a look at LMT MWS. I absolutely love mine and the great part is that you can change to 243, 6.5 creedmore, 7mm-08 and one more caliber that I cant remember right now. It will allow you more versatility and I use mine with the 243 barrel for coyote and am planning on taking it white tail hunting this year. It take the pmags and I cut a piece of blocker so that it wont run more than 5 rds in the regular pmag.

It might be worth taking a look at it depending on how much you find one for as well as how much you can flex your budget. I haven't regretted getting mine at all. I honestly sold both of my old 243 coyote rifles just because of how well the lmt was doing.

I shot a pre-production Colt .308 at a 3 gun match and it was sweet. Certainly more than what you wanted to spend, but it you ever wanted to get your money out of it you shouldn't have a problem.

They will be available early 2013.

Dave Wilcox of Bold Ideas was plinking steel at 500 yards with no problem at all (off a bench/bag).

Sendit

I bought a DPMS-LR308 last spring and I love it. I threaded the barrel and installed a JP recoil eliminator break on it. Has less than standard AR recoil and shoots like a dream. Accepts Pmags also. We aren't allowed to hunt anything with them in Pa so I'm restricted to bench shooting, but I shoot it t 500 yards a lot with the Leupold Mark4 8.5x25x50 LR/T scope on top it's nice to take out to my range.

I like a colt or daniel defense. I dont know how much you want to spend but colt has a new 308 that looks awesome. you might want to check it out

I have an LAR-8 that shoots extremely well. I've written about it before. Although I think the .308 makes little sense ballistically for what you want to do. I think the 6.5 creedmoor makes more sense for long range shooting.

Check out AR Performance for a lite weight .308 18" barrel. H makes a great product. I have one of his 6.8x43 16" barrels that is awesome. plus he sells complete uppers as well

Back