Leupold gurus ...

Fox Fire

Whats the difference between the VX & the vari X models, I sent a email to a gent about a leupy & told the guy I couldnt find any info on a V XIIc 2x7x33 & he corrected me "Its a vari X II-c", so I now I'm curious about the difference between them.

I done a search on leupolds site & it didnt have anything to offer so...

Vari ~X are older model scopes if I'm correct. The newer models are called VX. The older models sometimes preferred by some folks. I have both and see no difference in the quality. I forget off hand what year they quit calling them the Vari-X.

the vari x are oldler models the vx replaced them, < i could be wrong>as you can probly see in alot of my post i m not a leupold fan but i currently have both models a 6.5-20x40 vari x iii and a 6.5-20x40 vx3 lr plus a couple vx2s... and side by side i think the vari x models have better glass...

I've got an older Vari X II 3-9 from 1975 and I've never been too impressed by the optical quality. My $200 Nikon Buckmaster actually has a clearer, brighter image.

You may want to find one and check it out before you decide on whether you want it or not.

I have beat it through the brush for 30 years, mostly in the rain, and never had any problems holding zero, so they're mechanically excellent. Friction adjustments instead of clicks, but I kinda prefer that for a brush rig.

Hunting in the brush on dark days, it ain't all that bright.

That said, I'm keeping it, it's still a pretty nice scope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerI've got an older Vari X II 3-9 from 1975 and I've never been too impressed by the optical quality. My $200 Nikon Buckmaster actually has a clearer, brighter image.

You may want to find one and check it out before you decide on whether you want it or not.

I have beat it through the brush for 30 years, mostly in the rain, and never had any problems holding zero, so they're mechanically excellent. Friction adjustments instead of clicks, but I kinda prefer that for a brush rig.

Your nearly 40 year old Leupold is probably long overdue for a cleaning and perhaps a nitrogen or argon purge. You can send your scope to Leupold for this service.

Originally Posted By: mj36639Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerI've got an older Vari X II 3-9 from 1975 and I've never been too impressed by the optical quality. My $200 Nikon Buckmaster actually has a clearer, brighter image.

Your nearly 40 year old Leupold is probably long overdue for a cleaning and perhaps a nitrogen or argon purge. You can send your scope to Leupold for this service.

Heh, looks the same that it always did. The glass just isn't all that great compared to modern Japanese glass and coatings.
I'm aware of the warranty, though. That's one thing about Leupold that's always been world class.

Coatings and lenses have come a long way in 40 years.

Leupold doesn't make their own glass, and it might very well come from Japan these days (maybe some from Europe too). Just depends on who can supply what they need and satisfy their specs and QC.

Back