Barnes 62 Grain Triple-Shock Does a Coyote Good

Arizona Bushman

A few weeks ago I had a string of coyotes and a few grey fox take direct hits and then continue to run off and eventually file for disability and welfare claims. As a hard working tax payer, this was clearly an unacceptable practice so I enlisted the help of my long time buddy “King Zero” to develop a round that was sure to stop a coyote from claiming any post-traumatic stress benefits and put more fur on the ground.
Today’s test round was the Barnes 62 gr. Triple Shock.

Barnes.png

Usually I will fire a new bullet at the range long before I perform the minute of coyote test but today I decided to flip the procedure.
I arrived at the Zero Castle to pick up the rounds just before the sun had risen. The King was long gone but the Queen was ready to play……wink, wink Haha, just kidding!
So I picked a random spot with some rocks and a little bit of green that was just a short drive out of town and set up my ambush. I strategically placed the Fox Pro Wildfire out about 40 yards and started playing a little bit of my Woodpecker Re-mix. At the ten minute mark, just as I was about to break down the stand and move a mile down the road a coyote magically appeared from the rocks to my 9-O-Clock. I muted the call and slowly rotated towards the now confused dog. Just as my crosshairs came into focus I methodically took up the slack in the two stage trigger, focused some more……..and sent the Triple-Shock straight into the dog’s lungs. The dog jumped down and took off running at full speed; he made it all of twenty feet and flipped over for his final nap.

Sept3rd.png

I snapped a few pictures with my phone because my camera was completely dead and then headed to the range for some seat time with my new friend, Barnes.
My first two rounds were about a half inch high at 100 yards. I entered one click South on my trusty Nikon and fired two more rounds after a five minute donut and coffee break. I then took focus on the steel plate at 300 yards and sent the round straight up the hill……….Thunk!!!! Loaded up my gear and headed home.

Originally Posted By: cawilson82Yall must have some tough coyotes

No doubt & the toughest fox ever... I have found frangible bullets on our little dogs to be MUCH better immediate stoppers. The barnes will sure work though.

That was a little bitty target you were shooting at!!! Four bullets barely fit in the picture. Part of one was even slightly out of frame...

I was shooting at a large target, but my focus was the one inch black box in the center. I seem to have better luck dropping critters with lots of range time under the belt!

Stationary paper is alot easier to kill than an Arizona Coyote!

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanI was shooting at a large target

Why such a zoomed in pic then?

The 62gr TSX has a very good reputation on deer over at 24hr... A coyote shouldn't be able to stop one!

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: Arizona BushmanI was shooting at a large target

Why such a zoomed in pic then?

I was trying to block the Arizona Sun's glare with one hand and still take a decent picture.

Next time I will hire a professional photographer and maybe a few bikini models.

Arizona Bushman

Your post are always good. I enjoy your replay of the hunt and pictures.

These KY coyotes are tough as nails. I use 53 gr Hornady Superformance in my 223 AR with a 1-8 twist. Great groups and it is devestating on old wiley.

Yote Yoda USMC

The Barnes TSX bullets are wonderfully accurate, not to mention devastating on deer and antelope. Out of 11 kills made with the TSX in Wyoming (mule deer and antelope) only two animals ran a bit, maybe 25 yards. The other nine went straight down - couldn't hit the ground fast enough. We were using big guns, however - 7mm STW and a .338 Ultra Mag.

As you can tell, I like the TSX. Have never used it for coyotes, but it may be a good load considering fur.

Keep us posted how it goes with those bullets. I for one will be interested in hearing more after you have collected a few more yotes.

Originally Posted By: Arizona Bushman
Next time I will hire a professional photographer and maybe a few bikini models.

I wouldn't go through that much trouble, but may be a good change of scenery!

Look forward to more dead coyote pics unless the suns shining on them & only parts of them are in pic. I'm just mess'n with ya
grin.gif
!!! Good shoot'n, on the paper & critter!

Hey dummy, glad they worked out. While you were chasing fur, I was changing a [beeep] flat tire on the freeway only to have the spare shred 1/4 mile down the road.

Late to work and a new set of tires later........im thinking of buying a donkey.

Well that sucks about the tire, I am pretty sure that I blew right by you but I keep forgeting that you drive a mini truck now.

Hopefully you took some notes on the latest load, the sound that the Triple Shock made against Mr. coyote was like smacking a chubby stripper's bottom on a humid summer eve.......SWA'MUK!!!!

Priceless!!

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanWell that sucks about the tire, I am pretty sure that I blew right by you but I keep forgeting that you drive a mini truck now.

Hopefully you took some notes on the latest load, the sound that the Triple Shock made against Mr. coyote was like smacking a chubby stripper's bottom on a humid summer eve.......SWA'MUK!!!!

Priceless!!

There is something priceless about that "wet cabbage slapping" sound. Usually means something went down hard.

I don't think that Zero is going to look good in a bikini. A "facekini" maybe, but that brotha just won't do it for me.

I've been using the Barnes 45gr XLC bullets in my 22 Hornet for quite a few years now and ocassionaly in my 222remmag, on coyotes. They work very well, small hole in, small hole out.

Back