Hunting western Oregon

coyote54

I want to start hunting some of the local varmints in Western Oregon. I occasionally see coyote, foxes and other varmints while exploring or deer hunting. How would a person approach calling an area of steep hillsides and thick brush? The only clearings are mainly logging roads and clearcuts. Visibility is often limited to thirty yards in most areas. Any wisdom from some experienced hunters would be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to PM coyote54! Check the Predator Hunting forum for more posts on hunting coastal Oregon. Since most of our clear cuts are geting overgrown you may have to hunt in more confined spaces. A shotgun may be the preferred shootin iron in some cases. Watch your back if you are using hand calls. Electronic callers can be helpful in these close quarters combat situations. Most other calling tips apply regarding use of camo, wind direction etc. Good luck!

Welcome fellow Western Oregon Coyote Hunter!

I have been doing a lot of coyote hunting in Western OR, but mostly in fields and brush areas out West of Portland.

Hope you are having some success! I seem to be gaining a wealth of "experience!" Your best bet for logging areas would be finding straight stretches of logging roads and set up where you can see the longest distance. Call with the wind in your face or cross wind. Yotes will use the roads as natural highways to find their prey. Maybe with some luck, you will be at the other end!

Rustydog

I've been hunting out west of Portland in the Banks, North Plains area. There are lots of coyotes, but calling them is tricky. They are call shy and I'm really just beginning to get to be a better caller. (However, I did get one yesterday!!)

Rustydog

PS Do you have much success hunting in the Knappa area?

Hey guys! I'm sitting here watching the sleet come down and reading this thread. I'm in Canby and would like to know where there's coyotes in Western Oregon. I never even thought of trying here because of the density of the forests. Is this a place for shotgun work or what?

I lived in Canby for 7 years, on Dryland road. I took a number of yotes by Colton, go thru town just east there is a road that turns right into the hills. Way up high, there were lots of yotes.
I also took Foxes in the filbert orchards near Woodburn.
Carl

You got one Rustydog? Good show. Western I take it? That throat must be all fixed up? Tale of the hunt would be good! Loren

Doggitter:

I just re-read your post and by popular request, I will divulge the secret of my success on Monday. (Promise not to tell anyone!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was calling over a area of about 50 acres with a stand of timber at the far end. Lots of brush off to my left. There was a 55 gal drum on the edge of the field, so that was the only place to set up, drum behind me. At any rate I began calling and after 15 or minutes, nothing had showed. A bit discouraged, I got up with the intent of making the 10 minute walk back to my rig. (It is important to note that there was another 250 acres behind me which I could not cover hunting by myself.) As I started walking, I noticed something moving in a field off to my right. I looked thru my scope and I be darned if two coyotes weren't "playing" in the field about 200 yds from me. I slowly made my way to an old tractor tire which was laying on the ground and began lip squeaking. Man, was that ever a good choice because they both looked my way and came on a dead run. BUT..they must have winded me because they both took off running towards the original stand of trees. I couldn't shoot earlier because of farm structure in the line of fire, so I waited until I had a clear shot before "barking" to stop one for a shot. By the time I shot, they were about 300 yds out right next to the trees. The first one fell dead, the other simply melted into the trees.

My big questions is, "Did I actually call them into the hidden field behind and to my left, or was it just dumb luck that they were out in the open at 8:30 AM on a really cold day. Who knows, who cares, success was mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rustydog

Oh come on, you HAVE to take credit for the calling, right. No one pushed them there! LOL We'll have to get together real soon and see how you put such joy into the coyotes they can't contain it. Loren

Boy, do I miss calling in Oregon! I moved out of McMinnville and headed to Alaska when I was 17. Some of my most successful calling was right along I5. I would find out who owned promising land that was near the freeway, get permission then call my way south until I left the freeway for Lebanon. Around McMinnville, I would call the farms along the Yamhill River. AW

Hey Guys,

I use to live in Oregon, and did good on Yotes at the Basket Slough wildlife area just north of Dallas, off of HWY 22. I can't remember the rules and Regs but it might be worth checking into.

Man do I miss Oregon!

Got my first coyote yesterday 40mph winds third stand called between gusts was getting ready to leave took one last look around and saw a coyote off to my left about 175yrds just seating ang looking for the noise shot him square in the chest with a 40gr v max out of my AR15.

Gary

I'm a newbie to this Forum. I'm semi retired (work 3 days a week) and live in Tillamook. There are coyotes over here west of the coastal range. Mostly around the diary's here in Tillamook. I work with the farmers some so have access. Not call shy but are skittish about being in the open fields during the day. Some are in the hills but because of so much thick brush I don't hunt up there. Watch your back if you do. Some big cats back there and they can sneak up without being seeing or heard. When I did hunt the hills I never hunted alone.

Back