HELP stuck barrel nut!

I`m not sure if DPMS uses a thread locker or not, but have read on here where some mfgr`s. do. I have read that some have used a hair dryer or propane torch to heat the nut and loosen the thread locker. I would recommend a heat gun or hair dryer..can`t see where a hair dryer would get hot enough, but maybe.
good luck..

you got to use a torch(mapp gas) to break them factory nuts....barrel or castle on the rear....hit direct for about a minute moving it this way and that, then get on that wrench quick....lefty loosey...good luck!

Thanks guys got it. Heat and good old channellocks!Now I also have to get a better wrench I trashed the piece of junk I had.

Who makes the best wrench.

Last edited:
Please be sure and torque the nut properly when you re-install it. I put anti-seize on the threads and torque to 35 ft/lbs. Then index the nut by tightening it a bit more if needed. Set your torque wrench for a max torque of 75 ft/lbs and don't go over.

Just for info...mine was stuck as well..I tried hairdryer...then heat gun... nothing.

Put it in the chest frezzer overnight... and bang...off it came

I've had to cut the handguard delta ring off and put a pipe wrench on them before. That can easily tweak/torque/bend the upper receiver, too.

Back