TC Omega - Scope and mount

LeviSS

I just ordered a TC Omega Z5. It will be my first muzzleloader.

First of all...do I need a muzzleloader specific scope? I have an extra Bushnell Elite 4200 that I was thinking about putting on it.

What height mount do I need to get to clear the hammer? I was looking at a Warne steel base with Warne rings. I'm thinking with the height of the base, I should be able to get by with low rings, but not sure.

Anyone with one that can help me out?

I have the Z5 thumbhole that Walmart carried. I'm running a Nikon Buckmaster 4x-12x-50mm SF heavy duplex scope. I'm using Leupold dual dovetail base with extra high rings to clear the 50mm bell. The hammer isn't really a problem, I cock it with my trigger finger while holding the thumbhole. I had to have my breech plug drilled out a little to get it to shoot well. Mine is my meat getter
wink.gif
5pt%20BP%20buck%2011-18-11(1).JPG

PICT0069.JPG

I guess I have to take the eye relief into consideration. Looks like my 4200 has 3.3" eye relief and most of the mzl specific scopes have around 5". I was hoping to get by with what I had.

A plain ole scope will work fine.

I have a Nikon Monark on mine 3-9x40. My bud runs a VX-1 3-9x40. Can't remember off hand what my other bud's is . My wife has a 2-7x32 VX-1 IIRC. We bought 4 at once and they all shoot amazing ! Running Weaver/pic style rails and Burris rings.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeA plain ole scope will work fine.

I have a Nikon Monark on mine 3-9x40. My bud runs a VX-1 3-9x40. Can't remember off hand what my other bud's is . My wife has a 2-7x32 VX-1 IIRC. We bought 4 at once and they all shoot amazing ! Running Weaver/pic style rails and Burris rings.

What height rings are you using?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice deer Corey !

Thanks Tim.

LeviSS, I took my rifle and scope into the gunshop and got what gave the scope bell minimal clearance. Any decent shop should let you take the rifle and scope in for the best fit. If not, you can stack coins on the base under the tube until the scope clears then measure their thickness. That will tell you your base to saddle height. That is especially easy with the bases and rings that Tim suggested. The kick with 100gr. of 777 pellets and a 245gr. powerbelt is very manageable with my thumbhole. Eye relief shouldn't be a problem. Just outfit it like any other rifle. I've run a Pentax Gameseeker 3x-9x-50mm, a borrowed Leupold VXII 4x-12x-40mm, a borrowed Leupold VXIII 4.5x-14x-50mmAO, and the final Nikon Buckmasters 4x-12x50mm SF on mine. All have been in the same rings Leupold dual dovetail extra highs, only the 4.5x-14x rubbed since it was a 50mm AO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeviSSOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeA plain ole scope will work fine.

What height rings are you using?

sorry for the delay.

It's been along time since I set these up. IIRC, the bases are TC and are thick. Rings ... low/33 and med/40 on the ring/scopes.

Last edited:
Another vote here for the Talley 1 piece mount. I have one on my Triumph and it is rock solid. I have an older Nikon Omega plex reticle 3-9x40 scope and I really like it but rarely crank it past 6 power in the field for ranges I shoot. The 9x is nice for shooting at paper.

i have the exact same t/c omega z
ive got reg weaver base,bushnell banner dust to dawn 3-9-40
its the only bushnell i own,rest are nikons.
the gun shots very well,250gr shavewaves with 777 pellets 150gr
also shoot powerbelt plattions,270gr with 777 pellets.

I have a TC Omega Z5 in a .50 and like it a lot. I cant be of much help with a scope because I can only use a peep here where live. But I have tried T7 powder and pellets untill I discovered BH 209. T7 powder was ok but had to swab after every shot. The pellets (as far as I know) are 50gr per pellet so its either 50gr (1 pellet) 100gr or 150 gr....hard to work up a load that way. BP also absorbs moisture so on rainy days or humid days, moisture will seep in. With BH209 no swabbing is need between shots. I have fired off 13 in a row with no swabbing. You will need to clean the flash hole in the breech plug though after a while. AND it doesnt absorb moisture like BP does. I use 90gr of BH209 to push a 290gr Barnes TMZ and it shoots very good. Hope my off topic information helps. Just my experience.

DSCN2014.jpg

Last edited:
Back