.243 Nosler 55 grain Ballistic tips?

hunter97

Hows the fur damage? I had a bad expereince with these ( Blew a volleyball sized hole in a coyote) but am thinking about rying them again. DOes this happen evrytime or am I just unlucky?

i had tried then in my 22 250 1 time with the same results as you. not sure if the 6mm bullet is constructed the same as .224 but i dont load them in my 250's no more.

If the shot is under about 300 yards I've never had them not leave a monster hole but then again that's what I love about them!!!!

are you stuck on the little pils for some reason or are you willing to step up to something heavier??

i personally have never seen the point in loading a 243 with little pills. something like a 70gr hpbt will give a better bc while still being quite fast and surprising not too hard on fur.

I'm with midwestpredator, I'd go with a heavier bullet & mostly accept the pass-thru. The simple solution is to load an acceptable deer bullet & use that if you take the 243 on a deer hunt. A good choice then would be an 85 grn Gameking from Sierra.

I've shot a few coyotes with that bullet & damage is surprisingly limited. Yes, there are variations, depending on placement & all.

Not tryin tell tell you different, but I would load up some 80 gr BT. Its a good multi purpose round for me(deer and coyote). 55 gr in 243 is like throwin a hand grenade at them. Just my opinion.

I have shot 6 Coyotes thus far with the 55's. The Winchester shoots them very well. All 6 had to be repositioned to avoid TOS in pictures. They have been very destructive.

Originally Posted By: hunter97What about 95 grain SST's? Are they fur frendly?

i have no experience with those but if i were to guess id say thats on the heavy side. i think you would be happier with something 70-80gr, stick with hp's (ive never been a fan of poly tipped bullets except for shooting small rodents)

just my $0.02

I haven't tried them yet , you might want to try the 55 gr tipped Varmageddon. Don't use the hollow point if you are worried about fur. You thought the BT were bad. yeez
blink.gif

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Not tryin tell tell you different, but I would load up some 80 gr BT. Its a good multi purpose round for me(deer and coyote). 55 gr in 243 is like throwin a hand grenade at them. Just my opinion.

Plus 1 on this, I love the NBT 80 grainer's, those 55 grainers are for exploding little varmint's like pdogs and rock chucks.

The 58 gr ZMax is said to be better. I haven't any exits with the VMax and the ZMax with the AMP jacket was supposed to be a touch better.

Back