260 or 7/08

I had a Savage 16 FSS 7-08. Took a half dozen or more deer with it. It shot pretty good, didn't look so good IMO, and had the typical Savage magazine issues when you cycled the bolt. I no longer own any Savage bolt guns. I don't hate them or anything, just don't prefer them.

If you want to drop some coin, get a 7-08 that looks like this one:

100_0177.jpg

Which is now more better and looks like this:

100_0379.jpg
100_0382.jpg

100_0381.jpg

Or a Rem 7, Ti, or Mountain rifle. A Kimber Montana wouldn't be bad either, if you get a good one.

The 7-08 is a deer killing machine, and has been one of my all time favorite cartridges for about 20 yrs. now......

2mg you have some nice horses in the stable thats for sure. The cycling issues are another reason I may shy from a wsm. Decisions, decisions.

The 260 and just about every other 6.5mm are use by many long range target shooters because of its high bullet coefficency. Not saying that a 7mm-08 wont be accurate, but most factory 7mm-08's have short barrels. They are ment to be quick handling Whitetail Deer guns. I have never heard of someone shooting benchrest with a 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 is a great Deer gun and ok shorter range Elk gun. With that said, there are alot of Moose and Riendeer killed in Europe every year with 6.5's. I just prefer the more smack down power of the 270WSM if I were hunting elk.

Osti---None of said target shooters are using "deer" bullets and if you want to talk LR target shooting with a 7-08, check out the BC of a 162gr A-max and compare it and get back with me. It's he11 on deer too, FWIW.

BR shooters don't use 6.5s either. At least none that I see.

The 7-08 is just as accurate as the 260 in any given gun, trust me.

Short barrels are just as accurate if not more so than long ones. And what is wrong with a quick handling, accurate gun that will take deer and elk? You practically make my point for me.......
grin.gif

I like the 270 WSM too, but wish mine was a 7mm, to be honest.....

Well I ordered a Savage 16 FCSS w/o the accustock. It was $150 cheaper and I plan on adding a wood stock. They don't make what I really wanted. Model 14 American Classic in Stainless/wood config in 7mm08. So with that said I can get a model 14 stock from numrich. Both use detachable mags/short action so am I correct in thinking that the action blot spacing is the same? I know there are some smart people on here that will know. Thanks

I own/shoot/hunt with both calibers and the two comments I would add are these...the 260 can be harder to sometimes find good bullets {if you reload} and ammo for. The 260 also tends to copper foul a little more than the 7mm-08. I believe this is due to the longer bullet. If you get lucky and get a barrel that simply dont foul then I wouldn't worry too much about that. Personally, i wasn't lucky in that regard. I have to say that many shooters dont realize just how bad copper fouling in the bore can affect accuracy. Without a borescope you might be fighting this in your 270WSM. I have always heard that the 260 was a better killer/penetrator with its long skiny bullet but on medium sized game like deer or black bear I cannot tell any difference, both definately get the job done. I think the 7mm-08 is a better more efficient round but only marginally, again not really enough to worry about on the size game most will use it on. Now for elk...that is a big animal and could be a proving ground for the 260's ability to penetrate/kill.

im going to say 260 because i have 2....but the 7-08 is no stranger to the accurate department... my gunsmith 08 shoots lights out from 100-1050 yards...

Back