New Frontier Polymer Lower

whistle.gif

Ah HAH! Rock River Arms makes a .308 upper for a standard AR-15 lower if I read correctly on their website! There are a couple other providers too!

So what I am trying to make is a .308 w a 24-26" Stainless or Chrome Moly (prefer Stainless, but the dollars and traits suggested will make the difference, the steel can be camoed or cold blued at home I would imagine if too shiny), and perhaps fluted if a bull barrel like that is stupid heavy and the fluting does not ruin the barrel's harmonics or damage it's accuracy (I am still not positive on that one). In addition, a lower like we are discussing may make this beast ridiculously noseheavy, but perhaps some weight could be created in the A2 stock, so I am not worried about that part.

So is such an animal a real possibility with this lower? Is it the case that all uppers designed for the AR-15 lower should fit it? Would .308 recoil necessitate replacement of the tube or create issues with the lower at all?

well crap, I went deeper into the Rock River situation, and they say you cannot mount their .308 on standard AR lowers. Something about the barrel nut (??!) though I don't know how that nut affects the lower receiver.. I will have to look at my Stag and see what the deal might be... I am still looking folks! .308 on a polymer lower! I am lookin fer one!

Now dont quote me on this.... but.... im pretty sure you need a ar-10 lower for a 308. pretty sure the size of a 308 cartridge wont fit into the magazine well of an ar-15 lower.

Hibs is right. OAL won't allow a 308win length cartridge into an ar 15 mag well. Best you'll do is the .30rem AR, a wssm, .300blackout, 7.62x39, or a wildcat. If you want a .308win you need to step up to the AR 10 platform.

I've had both an AR-10T and a DPMS 308. I've also had a couple hk91's, L1A1, and Springfield M1a's. I got rid of them all and only run the AR-15 platform, and I don't miss any of them.

Originally Posted By: filmitI finally got an email today saying my lowers had shipped (ordered March 19th).

OMG I got the same e mail . My polymer 6pos. Lower left Kansas today and is suposed to arrive some time the end of next week. Woowhhoo!!!
BTW I ordered on March 22'nd.

Man, this is worse than waiting for x-mas when I was a kid! I have everything except the lowers for my first and new build. Ordered mine on 4/6. Shouldn't be long?

Originally Posted By: ID Dog ChaserMan, this is worse than waiting for x-mas when I was a kid! I have everything except the lowers for my first and new build. Ordered mine on 4/6. Shouldn't be long?

Most are shipping in the 30-45 day range right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, guys, that is what I am hearing, no .308 Winchester AR-15.

Filmit, what made you get rid of the DPMS LR-308 specifically? That was my second option! Please elaborate??

I still like the thought of .308, unless there was a reason the AR-10 is sukky or the DPMS LR308 was sukky, or in the case that JoeBob cannot make what I am looking for (JoeBob I sent you a PM by the way about this..).

308 win. has always been AR10 and never fit or will fit an ar15 platform

Originally Posted By: BubbaChickenYeah, guys, that is what I am hearing, no .308 Winchester AR-15.

Filmit, what made you get rid of the DPMS LR-308 specifically? That was my second option! Please elaborate??

The DPMS 308 and Armalite AR10T were great guns. While the DPMS was extremely accurate, it had the full bull barrel and was just heavy and akward anywhere but the bench. I do more than just bench shoot so I got rid of it.

The AR10T (T for target) was honestly the most accurate out of the box gun I've ever tried (shooting federal match 168's). It too was a little big and akward for running and gunning.

For me to keep a gun, it has to talk to me when I'm holding it(if that makes sense). Also being that I am a gunwhore, and having been in the retail gun biz nearly 20 years, I get to try lots of different things. I go through phases, as most gun nuts do and the big-semi's just phased out for me. Maybe I will go through that phase again, but I doubt it now that the AR15 platform has gone through such a renaissance as has never been seen before with any single firearm platform.

Seriously, the AR15 is like the mother loving Transformer of all firearms, you can convert/change it to nearly anything you want, and that includes calibers that can do nearly what the 308 will do. The AR15 is perfect for coyotes, prairie dogs, plinking,self defense and even close range big-game.

I do shoot a lot of big calibers, but mostly for big-game hunting. The AR 10/DPMS platform doesn't fit the bill for hunting big game in the west, where I hunt. It would do fine in a Texas box stand. So I choose bolt guns for most of my big game hunting.

So in a nutshell, while there's nothing wrong with it, the larger platform of the AR-10 just wasn't practical for me.

Originally Posted By: i.huntJoe Bob what is the estimated wait time on a complete NFA lower order now....

5-10 days currently from the date of ordering. We're slowly but surely getting more caught up. IF things go according to plan, it looks like we should be caught up completely by the end of next week unless we get a huge surge in orders between now and then.

We're only negative ~50 or so at this point. We received a few hundred this week, and have a few hundred hitting us Mon & Tuesday of next week, so orders going forward should ship within 24-48hrs of ordering (Assuming FFL paperwork is in order)

For all the folks saying they would never buy a polymer lower, these sure seem to be selling well.
I got mine, and will be buying another. PS: Did put a CTR one the first one - works great!

Last edited:
Back