Public Land for Sage Rats in Oregon?

Human Thigh

Any Pacific Northwesterners out there know of any good public land for sage rats and the like?
Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HT, There are a lot of places east and south of Prineville. Plus you can find plenty of them down around Christmas Valley.

ok i give up guys, what the heck is a sage rat? is it a pack rat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif there is a guy on the taxidermy net trying to sale a cuple. just wondering. thanks and good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Coyotehunter, it's a downsized prairie dog. I don't know how close they're related but they sure look similar only about 75% the size of a prairie dog.

Sage rats, gophers, pasture pups, pine peckers. Called by any other name....it's still great shootin. Not positive, but thought I read where they are actually a ground squirrel. If you find the right alfalfa farmer, they'll pay you a buck a tail to shoot them. You do have to prove you killed one and that isn't always easy. They'd rather pay you to shoot them then deal with the environmentals about poisoning them.

grumpy replied that there are alfalfa growers that will pay buck a tail ..... like to find such a place....i am really interested in a place to shoot gophers,ground squirrels, or whatever they are called in that region

The one's I knew were in the Christmas Valley, Silver Lake area in south central Oregon. Knew of a couple in the Pilot Rock/Pendelton area, but never got a chance to get together with them.

Around here we call them Picket Pins or Sage Rats. They have been on the decline around Baker County. Used to be impossible to shoot all the Pins out of a field. I think the rise in preditor type birds has reduced the masses. Any where in central Oregon sage country you will find Rats. Usually next to a farmers field or any water. They are alot smaller than Praire Dogs. About 1 1/2 inches in Dia. And 5 inches tall when they stand up on their hind legs to look at you. They look like a surveyors stake out in a field when they are looking at you. Thus the name Picket Pins. Ter

I shoot 'em around the Burns area. Not to diffucult to burn up a full case of .22 ammo on a long weekend. On the decline.......not hardly.

Hello, I am brand new to the Forum, but have an answer for the question on "What is a Sage Rat?"

They are actually called a Belden Ground Squirrel and they are plentiful all over eastern Oregon, especially after April 1st.

You really won't have any trouble finding places to shoot them. One farmer out of Crane, OR had a sign out front which said," Sage Rat Hunters Welcome, FREE COFFEE!"

How often do you see that!

Rustydog

Hey all, Been lurking for a while and couldn't resist this thread! Sage Rats are the best! I discovered these last year and am an addict now! Can't wait to get to Christmas Valley again! .22 Magnum Rules!!

ebd10, what part of christmas valley are you hunting and do you know the names of any of the farmers out there? Also, have you been hunting any jackrabbits there? The best hunting was always east of town, around that little ridge just before you get to the mountains. Coyote hunting is good in that area also. If you hit it right, there will be times you can see 30-40 Bald Eagles lining the fence posts. Great sight to see, we always tried to leave some of the jacks where they could find them away from the road.

As I was a guest, I can't really divulge the location (i made a promise) but your description certainly sounds like the place! I managed to shoot the head clean off of a jack at about 50 yards with an M-1 carbine.

It is getting to be that time of year again. I'm getting so excited over the whole thing that on the 24th I went and bought a case of CCI .17 HMR ammo. And going to go and buy the gun today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Less than a month and the rats will start coming out.

Central Oregon around Prineville is infested with ground squirrels. I was fortunate enough to go with a group of guys last May. I shot more rounds in four days then my career in the Marines. Easily! As fast as you could load your rifle and aquire a target was your only limitation. It was unbelievable!!! I lay in bed at night and dream of going back.
The rifle that really shined down there was the 17HMR. This rifle allowed me to shoot constantly while the big guns cooled. My fingers were black and blue from loading magazines. Such thoughts give me great pleasure.
The squirrels are small. They will sharpen your shooting skills and humble you. Especially if your a long ranger. The wind is prone to blow in the afternoons and that limited allot of long shots for me. I hate to miss. If you get a chance. GO!

SEMPER-FI Keepem out of the Wire.

Back