Nikon Coyote Special

It's discussed here regularly.

The general consensus is either your gonna love the ret, or not. I did not learn to love mine. Good glass, though.

Last edited:
I dont own one, my father does and in all honesty I dont like it and he regrets buying it. Reticle is too open, almost impossible to shoot at paper and hit the same spot consistantly.

If the main circle had a dot in the center it would be an awesome scope.

I have one on a 22-250 and i love it. I think its a great scope for what you pay for it and what it was made for. The glass is awesome. I Do kind of agree with noobie about paper shooting. I have had good luck with the sight-in targets with crosshair and circle. some of the free targets from accurateshooter.com and 6mmbr.com work really well also.

I own two. I found them quick and easy to use on coyotes. My shooting eye centers the circle and the fur spot super nice and quick, which makes it easy to make a confident shot. The circle makes it easier to aim without trying too hard to get regular crosshairs just right on target. It's kind like aiming with a shotgun barrel... you just know that if hair is in the circle...blood will spill.

I haven't tried it on running shots yet...but I think it will really help with leading targets, because the circle will show up better while panning through all the brush and action.

My target groups are just as good with the circle as it is with regular crosshairs. It's easier to ring a target dot, than trying to hold regular crosshairs dead center in the dot.

Give them a chance... you can always sell it next year after some live target experiences.

I received the following response to an email I sent to Nikon. I like this scope a whole lot better now.

From Jon B. LaCorte
"Thanks for your email,

The Coyote Special reticle is designed for long range bullet drop compensation and for bracketing moving targets, hence the open circles.
The reticle is not designed to be used as a rangefinder, however, the subtensions of the reticle may allow you to use it for general rangefinding.

The center circle is 3 inches outer diameter at 100 yards, which means it would be 6 inches at 200 Yards. This would represent the vital zone of a coyote at that distance.
The second circle is 2 inches, which would be 6 inches at 300 yards, again the approximate size of the coyotes vital zone.

I hope this helps
Thanks
JL"

Based on a followup email, this is accomplished at highest magnification. Very cool feature.

Now to get some rings and bases. I must say that the 4.5x being the lowest magnification is concerning to me at close (in my lap) range. So maybe I will get a side mount thus leaving the iron sights usable. Or maybe I'll do as the AR guys do and put a red dot on top.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI own two. I found them quick and easy to use on coyotes. My shooting eye centers the circle and the fur spot super nice and quick, which makes it easy to make a confident shot. The circle makes it easier to aim without trying too hard to get regular crosshairs just right on target. It's kind like aiming with a shotgun barrel... you just know that if hair is in the circle...blood will spill.

I haven't tried it on running shots yet...but I think it will really help with leading targets, because the circle will show up better while panning through all the brush and action.

My target groups are just as good with the circle as it is with regular crosshairs. It's easier to ring a target dot, than trying to hold regular crosshairs dead center in the dot.

Give them a chance... you can always sell it next year after some live target experiences.

I also own two and I agree with what Dan says..... give it a try. The only downside is they are tougher for me when trying to hold off for windage at 400 and longer range.

Mine just shipped from opticsplanet (super fast) so I can not wait to try it out. I am working for almost a month in Louisiana so I have to wait blah!

I also like to apply reticles for rangefinding. That 3 MOA center circle would be great for that application really. I assume that most of the coyotes in my area of operation are 11" back to brisket hair on of course from measurements i made years ago. What you have to do then is get the 1st circle to measure 11" instead of 7.5 (measurement at an arbitrary point blank range of ~250 yds. on a 6" target). If you keep the magnification of the scope at 6x, the 1st circle then becomes a quick 11" rangefinder at 250 yds. If that 11" back to brisket coyote fills the circle or is larger than he's within point blank range, so just aim dead center and shoot (assuming you've sighted in your rig for a conservative point blank range of 250 yds. center circle for a 6" target size).

Wow. Finally my rings and bases arrived, and I'm about to try to install them on my rifle.

As I do this I re-examine the CS scope. The optics are clear as can be, not so sure about these circles however.

I don't want to mount the scope and place ring marks on it before returning it to the merchant. As it is, I can return it today and obtain a different reticle. I really like the scope itself and the clarity of the optics, especially at this price point.

I doubt that I will shoot the rifle terribly often, and if I do, it will likely be coyote hunting. Don't imagine I would shoot it at prairie dogs.

I may just place the scope in the lower cradles of the rings and see if I like the arrangement when I shoulder it.

EDIT:

Nuts. The screws that came with the bases are the wrong thread form.

Last edited:
Dang stubbiecatt that sucks. I look forward to a review of it if you decide to keep it. Mine should be at my house but I am out of state to try it out.

I wish they would make this scope in a lower variable power such as a 1.5-6 I think it would be a good fit on top of my 6X45 AR. but that reticle just doesn't intrest me in a higher power scope.

drscott

Back