DPMS help

SaffordHunter

I have a DPMS Panther Lite with a Sight Mark Sure Shot red dot. Where is it best to mount on the rail, forward or back. I have it all the way up close to the stock right now and I am having serious accuracy issues with it, even at very short ranges. I was thinking if I moved it all the way forward, it might improve. Any ideas? I know it will be a short range scope, but I use it for predator hunting in the NH north woods where you can barely see 50 yards...Thanks guys

I don't use red dots so can't say for sure where to mount it other then where ever best fits you. Most seem to be mounted midway or to the end of the upper.

As far as accuracy issues go.

How far are you sighting in?
What type of ammo are you using?
What group size are you getting?

If THIS is the one that you have (very similar to my Haako), your initial problem may be the 3 MoA dot, since for precisions shooting, it covers a bit of paper at 100 yards for grouping purposes...

A secondary problem may be in the optic itself...While, in theory, whatever the dot is on should be where your bullet impact will be...I've found when shooting with my Haako, as opposed to my EO-Tech, this is not always the case..

Haako:
HakkoHoloSight004.jpg

A third problem may be in the actual mounting of the optic and it's not secure when mounted, allowing a slight degree of movement...

As to your mounting question, I like mine a little forward, near the front of the mounting rail...You need to try several locations to see if it really makes a difference..The closer my eye is to the optic, the more my rounds seem to drift...Hopefully, you are training yourself to shoot with both eyes open...trying to shoot a red dot with one eye as you would a scope will throw you off as well...

Farther away the better....I also try not to focus on the red dot, it'll drift. Stare down the target with both eyes open.

Also, on,y turn the rheostat to the lowest visage setting. This reduces flare and dot walk. That's how we're trained with the AimPoont system on an M4.

Thanks for the replies guys...To answer a few questions, I am shooting at 50 yards and happy to stay on paper! It sucks. Ammo is 55 grain federal I beleive, barrel is 1:9 twist.

So I am starting to regret going this route. What would a low buck option be for a scope for yotes? I dont need long range precision, seeing 100 yards in the woods up here would be a small miracle!

I know people are going to say dont go cheap on the optic, but its that or stay with the junk I have right now! lol

For lower cost but decent product and great customer service check out Primary Arms.

I run aimpoints on my working ARs and I understand the need for a lower price point. I use the PA 1-4 with lighted reticle review on one of my hunting guns. It is a decent scope and PA is second to none in CS.

Good luck.

I think your issues may be related to the fact you are making poor choices in regards to your equipment. When using the cheapest lowest quality AR and optics available mediocre results are to be expected.

Quote:I think your issues may be related to the fact you are making poor choices in regards to your equipment. When using the cheapest lowest quality AR and optics available mediocre results are to be expected....Most members that are experiencing problems can only find solutions by asking questions...We all had to start somewhere, at some time and I'm pretty sure that we don't all have "perfect" equipment for each purpose....

How do you make "Good" choices if you don't ask questions???

Originally Posted By: mj36639I think your issues may be related to the fact you are making poor choices in regards to your equipment. When using the cheapest lowest quality AR and optics available mediocre results are to be expected.

Wow! Way to say hello to a new forum! You have four post at this time three are telling people how crappy their choices are or bashing a product, and the other is defending one of those posts. You can take that snide mall ninja BS back over to arfcom.

As to the OP, OT has you on the right track concerning the large reticle, you can also try using a 6 o'clock sight picture as well with the bigger dot. If you are looking for another option that won't break the bank take a look at the BSA red dots, they have a bigger reticle too though, you can catch them on sale at dicks every once in while for $30 for their cheapest model. I have one and it has held zero perfect. The Primary Arms also have a good reputation, I just can't ever find what I am looking for in stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bob Tobergte I'm starting to like mj36639. Seems to be a well informed individual.

Yeah, not bad for somebody with only four posts on the forums as of this morning...
grin.gif

Your DPMS rifle is fine. You are going hunting not to war. Find a load that it likes and it will kill coyotes with boring monotony for the rest of your grandkids lives. Find an optic and a mount that is solid and reliable that won't break your check book and have it at.

Hawke

Bushnell

Pentax

PA 1-4

These will all work fine for you. I don't really care for huge objective lens scopes on a 16" AR and where you're hunting you don't need big magnification.

As for red dots, I'll say it again, aimpoint - but they are pricey. PA has a some decent ones and Vortex has a couple too. Also the bushnell is good to go.

Trophy Dot

Plus you can put a 3x magnifier behind the RDS if you want.

Last edited:
OT I had a Bushnell that looks and operates just like eotect but I could never get the shot to hit the same place twice.I knew the rifle was not that bad so I figured I just could not shoot a dot.A couple years later I got a eotech in trade and thought I would try it.It shoots great.I can get good groups at 100 yards even.It is consistent and works like I always was told they should.Now,my question to anyone who knows is why would this be?The Bushnell seems to be good quality.I can't figure out why I can get one to work good and not the other.

Just bought a DPMS AR a couple weeks ago. Since it will be a truck gun, it likewise got topped with budget glass.

I picked up a 3 - 9 x 40 Tasco World Class. Don't know how it will stand up over the long haul, but the picture is excellent, no fuzz or haze whatsoever. The multi-plex mil-dot reticle is crisp and clean and remains focused well throughout pretty much the entire range of adjustment on the scope. Since I've never really seen need to shoot with the scope cranked all the way to it's absolute highest power, and since the crosshairs are crystal clear everywhere but there, I really don't see that as much of a problem.

You'll find it on Amazon for whole $52 plus shipping and handling. Pick up rings with it for $61.

Vortex SPARC is hard to beat for $200. Poor mans Aimpoint with less battery life. The 2 MOA dot is good for hunting smaller critters.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have some real good ideas now. I did find a Simmons 44 mag scope on the local craigslist for under $50, is that a good possibility???

Originally Posted By: mj36639I think your issues may be related to the fact you are making poor choices in regards to your equipment. When using the cheapest lowest quality AR and optics available mediocre results are to be expected.

rolleyes.gif

Back