A small pair beats one coyote.

jcfd2201

JW and I headed out this past Sunday to see if we couldn't whack a couple yotes. We headed out to an area we night hunted but have not hunted during the day before. JW picked the first stand and we set up. I turned on the Mojo Critter and Double Trouble trying to create a tasty sounding menu for the critter of the day, the coyote. A short bit into the stand I pick a flash of movement about 200 yards out in front of me. I tell JW there's a coyote and he quickly spots it too. It appears to be a small pup but as it gets closer we both realize it's a fox. I manged to convince it that there was a tasty treat waiting ahead for it and it slinked its way in to about 40 yards. Apparently the tasty lead treat disagreed with the fox and he vomited, okay maybe spilled is a better word, his insides out.

I quickly started in with some other sounds trying to convince anything else in the area that didn't go into fur rocket mode that it was safe to still come check out the menu. A few minutes later I spotted some movement off about 250yds to my right side. I quickly deduced it was another fox. He managed to slink his way in to about 200 yards and then decided something just wasn't right and headed off in a direction that wasn't in my favor. I located him again about 350 yards away slinking through the brush and grass. He made one minor mistake in his escape plan. He crossed into an open area at about 375yds and paused in my crosshairs. I let the .243 Remmy Mtn. Rifle speak loudly and was rewarded by the sound we have all come to love, THWACK! JW was so surprised that I hit that small target at that distance he spoke in a regular voice and asked, "did you just tip that thing over?". I replied that I heard the thwack and it wasn't moving.

We tried to entice any remaining critters but couldn't find any takers. JW went out to retrieve the far off fox while I remained where I was so as to not lose sight of it. Once he located it I went and retrieved the first one. The daily double of two foxes was a great start to the day. I wish I could say the rest of the day went a good but we couldn't find any yotes that wanted to play. The temp climbed fairly fast and we called it an early day.

2012-09-16_09-14-19_750_zps030e698e.jpg

Originally Posted By: FursniperEnjoyed the write up and congrats on connecting with a very long shot at a fox.

Thanks FS. These were taken on one of the stands we hit back in March when you were here.

Those are awesome! Your profile says you are in Arizona. Did you get those here? I would love to get a red fox someday but have never seen one. I hear there are some up on the Navajo rez and a few just North of Flagstaff. I guess I need to take a trip.

Originally Posted By: AZspikeThose are awesome! Your profile says you are in Arizona. Did you get those here? I would love to get a red fox someday but have never seen one. I hear there are some up on the Navajo rez and a few just North of Flagstaff. I guess I need to take a trip.

I have seen a lot of fox and killed greys and even a swift here in AZ but I have only heard of and seen pics of reds in AZ. These were taken up north near my house east of Flag.

Back