Bolt action 6 groups, 5 shot challenge

dmpowder

Time to put up or shut up for the bolt action guys! All the sub MOA talking guys will have a chance to SHOW actual proof they are truly sub MOA rifles and shooters!!

This is for Bolt actions only! FREE TARGETS HERE Scroll down about half way and there is 3 different targets that work perfect!(LEE targets)

Rules are simple

1. Must be shot with a bolt action rifle. Does not matter what caliber it is. 17HMR all the way to 50BMG!

2. Must have 6 different targets with 5 shots on each target for a total of 30 shots all on one sheet paper or board. Must be able to clearly see 6 different aiming points. And shot at 100 yards all with the same ammo/load. (Bushy will be grandfathered in as his was posted before this became a problem as will anyone else that post today 9/23) Thanks Bushy!
lol.gif
j/k
wink.gif

3. No gun vises allowed! Bipods, monopods, front or rear bags are allowed. If your rest allows you to just simply pull the trigger without looking through the scope at the same time please save your ammo for your benchrest comps!!! If your not sure if your rest is allowed just ask.

4. Has to be shot in 24 hours time! If it takes you 10 mins to get all 30 shots that is fine, If it takes you 23 hrs and 59 mins that is fine also.

5. Post pics of your rifle, target, and a close up of your best group. Targets must have group size written down where it can easily be read on all groups. Pic of your best group must have caliber in it measuring the group. No rulers, tape measures, loose change in your pocket! Calibers only. So your post should have at least 3 pics.

6. Tells us how you shot your groups. Bench, standing, prone, jumping out of a air plane.... Also give some details about your rifle and ammo used. If you roll your own you can post your data if you like but at least mention the weight of the bullet and the brand.

7. Be honest with yourself and others! DO NOT disrespect others that post in this thread.

8. The most important rule of them all!! Have fun while shooting for this comp. No money to be gained or lost, no one will come and take your first born child so there is no reason not to have fun while doing this right??? And no matter how many times you ask no one will take your wife if you win or loose so please don't ask!
lol.gif

9. No cheaters allowed

10. Post your avg. group size. To find your avg group size add up all 6 groups size and then divide them by 6 = Avg group size. I.E. .359,.758,1.235,.073,.677,.524= 3.626/6=.604
So your Avg. would be .604

Also be consistent when measuring your groups! If you measure center to center don't switch outside to outside - bullet dim.

Even if you know your not a sub MOA shooter please try this and post your pics. You will earn more respect then the people that just talk the talk and don't walk the walk!

P.S. If I see anyone who post about them or their rifles being sub MOA and hasn't put a target up in this thread I will call you on your bluff! Let your targets do the talking instead of your dam mouth or fingers for once!!! Just saying.
sneaky2.gif

Please make sure your group sizes are easy to read! Also if you see a math error on my part please correct me or any error on the leader boards.

Best Average Top 10(The true test)
1. Coleridge, Rem 700, 6BR (Avg .414 pg4)
*Hammerjack, Savage 12, 6BR (Avg .466 pg6)*
2. SShooterZ, Rem model 7, .20Vartarg (Avg .503 pg7)
3. RJS, Stevens 200, .223 (Avg .645 pg7)
4. Nastynatesfish, Win mod 70, 22-250 (Avg .650 pg5)
5. Oldturtle, CZ 527, .204 (Avg .692 pg6)
6. Bushy, Tikka T3 varmint, 223 (Avg .711 pg2)
7. RJS, Stevens 200, 22-250 (Avg .736 pg3)
8. Smith1559, Rem 700vssf2, 220 Swift (Avg .837 pg6)
9. Nastynatesfish, Mauser, 308 (Avg .870 pg5)
10. Boone3380, Sav 12BVSS, 22-250 (Avg .911 pg5)

Best single group Top 10
1. Coleridge, Rem 700, 6BR (.209 pg3)
*Hammerjack, Savage 12, 6BR (.249 pg6)*
2. SShooterZ, Rem model 7, 20Vartarg (.301 pg7)
3. Nastynatesfish, Win mod 70, 22-250 (.316 pg5)
4. Oldturtle, CZ 527, .204 (.330 pg6)
5. Bushy, Tikka T3 varmint , 223 (.391 pg2)
6. RJS, Stevens 200, 223 (.436 pg7)
7. Smith1559, Rem 700vssf2, 220 Swift (.477 pg6)
8. RJS, Stevens 200, 22-250 (.480 pg3)
9. Nastynatesfish, Mauser, 308 (.640 pg5)
10. Boone3380, Sav 12BVSS, 22-250 (.709 pg5)

A true .5 MOA rifle (Every single group is under .5 MOA) This is where the all the talkers act like their name should be.

Coleridge, Rem 700, 6BR Congrats for truly being a true .5 MOA shooter!!
thumbup.gif

Under MOA shooters/rifles (All 6 groups shoot are under 1 MOA) This list will be on going as their is more then 10 I'm sure! This is to give credit where it is due.

Coleridge, Rem 700, 6BR (average .489 pg2)
Bushy, Tikka T3 varmint, 223, (average .711 pg2)
Oldturtle, CZ527, .204 (average .692 pg6)
SShooterZ, Rem 7, .20 vartarg (average .503 pg7)
*Hammerjack, Savage 12, 6BR (average .466 pg6)*

Past leaders! lost but never forgotten.

Best Average
Powerfish, Rem 700sps, 22-250 (Avg 1.095 pg3)
Oldturtle, Rem 700, 223 (Avg 1.304 pg6)
Best group
Powerfish, Rem 700 sps, 22-250 (.730 pg3)
Oldturtle, Rem 700, 223 (.984 pg6)

Last edited:
This should be interesting!!!! I like the part about
Originally Posted By: dmpowderIf I see anyone who post about them or their rifles being sub MOA and hasn't put a target up in this thread I will call you on your bluff! Let your targets do the talking instead of your dam mouth or fingers for once!!!

However, let's not just say bolt actions though. I'd like to see 6 consecutive groups from of all them GREAT shooting AR's (why not call their chit out too
tt2.gif
).

I'll try to get a rifle out this evening, but, just because I have this pic on photobucket already... (All are 5-shot groups)

Savageload.jpg

I've posted that before so I won't go into detail on it but; it was shot in load development all 80 gr Bergers except a 5-shot 75gr vamx group bottom right target (pic is turned 90 degrees rt for a bigger post). Groups shot off bi-pod & rear bag from a concrete bench. The bird crap on the left (top rt with pic rotated) is there only for size proportion, didn't have any spare change that day
lol.gif
I didn't measure any of the groups so delete in need be but all are obviously sub MOA
whistle.gif

I'd REALLY like to see this post get a lot of hits. Way too many unicorns on this site.

Where's your target? Sound like fun. Might be awhile for mine as it's hunting season.

I'll give 5 shot groups with the .22 but the center fires I'll go 3 shot groups or less targets. How about 5 targets 3 shot groups, 4 at 100yds and 1 at 300yds?

Hey check out this 4 shot group.

Picture005-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bfr4570100 yds? Can bolt action pistols play?

Ha, so you can make us look even worse? Looks like I need to start reloading for the 243. With the onset of deer season starting next week, my shooting spots have greatly diminished. The public range is going to be a nightmare, but I may have to do an early Sunday morning shoot and do this for the AR and the bolt gun. I'd love to do it with the 17rem, but I don't want to take all day to fire 30rnds
unsure.gif

Coleridge, there is another thread just for the AR's setup in the same format by dmpowder.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeThis should be interesting!!!! I like the part about
Originally Posted By: dmpowderIf I see anyone who post about them or their rifles being sub MOA and hasn't put a target up in this thread I will call you on your bluff! Let your targets do the talking instead of your dam mouth or fingers for once!!!

However, let's not just say bolt actions though. I'd like to see 6 consecutive groups from of all them GREAT shooting AR's (why not call their chit out too
tt2.gif
).

I've posted that before so I won't go into detail on it but; it was shot in load development all 80 gr Bergers except a 5-shot 75gr vamx group bottom right target (pic is turned 90 degrees rt for a bigger post). Groups shot off bi-pod & rear bag from a concrete bench. The bird crap on the left (top rt with pic rotated) is there only for size proportion, didn't have any spare change that day
lol.gif
I didn't measure any of the groups so delete in need be but all are obviously sub MOA
whistle.gif

I'd REALLY like to see this post get a lot of hits. Way too many unicorns on this site.

I knew you would should up to the party!
thumbup.gif

But to keep it fair your target above does not count in this comp. I'm sure you already figured that and I'm sure you will post a even better one.
wink.gif

The AR's have already been called out as it is posted in the AR section. Please go check it out if you have a AR and post your targets.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishThe point isn't to post one group and claim fame to it. I always shoot 5 shot strings. I'll see if I can keep it together for 6 groups

Yeah anybody can get lucky once... (even off bi-pods)

BRX_Shots.jpg

DM,

I went back & saw your post in the AR section. I see how things are now... THe SH thread is interesting, this should be really good if many people play. I've done it before & like you said, it sounds much eisier than it is for guns that are not tuned. I doubt there will be much interest/posting but I hope I'm wrong.

I'll do my best to get some shooting done the weekend. I think I even have some ammo loaded for my AR & try to post there to. I will say, it doesn't shoot like my "good" bolt guns, of course I've never seen many AR's shoot little groups like the groups you posted. Guess that's why your name is at the top of the list... (both small group & average You should have bought a lottery ticket that day you got the DPMS
scared.gif

I shoot 4 in load devlopment and 3 to confirm. 5 shots for a hunting rifle is just to much & expensive. No animal in the world is sticking around for that many, well maybe a 3 toed sloth.

Lets judge them as hunting rifles and not bench rest rifles.

Hey check out this 3 shot group.

7mm mag off bipod I get lucky alot with this one.

Picture013.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chucknbachWhere's your target? Sound like fun. Might be awhile for mine as it's hunting season.

I'll give 5 shot groups with the .22 but the center fires I'll go 3 shot groups or less targets. How about 5 targets 3 shot groups, 4 at 100yds and 1 at 300yds?

Picture005-1.jpg

That is the point of this style of comp! Everyone has that ONE great target and since they shot that ONE single great target they think their rifle can do it all day long! (Well if they do their part!) This is to show who can walk the talk and not just talk the talk.

In my eyes 3 shots prove the load and 5 prove the shooter. BUT a sub MOA rifle don't mean jack $hit if the shooter is not capable of shooting a sub MOA groups! The rifle is only as good as the person driving it!! The rules are pretty simple 6 different 5 shot groups totaling 30 shots no more no less on one sheet of paper or board shot with one rifle at 100 yards!

If you do it once consider it luck! Do it more then once consider it skill!
wink.gif

As far as my target goes it will be up sometime next week as I'm out of bullets for my .243. I will also post one with my 6.5 Creedmoor. I have faith in my .243 and feel I will do pretty good with it but the Creedmoor I'm not so sure.

Plus I have been keeping busy doing the same comp with my AR. If you haven't seen that thread go check it out and you will see I'm more then happy to walk the walk! PM contest, Snipershide contest which started it all!

3 shots on 5 targets would prove it to me and keep the price down and I won't have to be shooting at paper all day.

Those with 30-378 weatherby's won't have to spend $180 to prove it.
wink.gif

Hey check this target out. 7mm off bipod
Picture004-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: bfr4570100 yds? Can bolt action pistols play?

Yes Bolt action pistols can play also! But if you win we will have to kick you out k?
lol.gif
lol.gif
J/k

Originally Posted By: chucknbachI shoot 4 in load devlopment and 3 to confirm. 5 shots for a hunting rifle is just to much & expensive. No animal in the world is sticking around for that many, well maybe a 3 toed sloth.

Lets judge them as hunting rifles and not bench rest rifles.

Hey check out this 3 shot group.

7mm mag off bipod I get lucky alot with this one.

That's not even a half a box of bullets to do this with? We are judging them as rifles and shooters not as benchrest hence the reason no gun vises are allowed! And if you want to judge them by hunting rifles well then it should be just the first shot with POA since that is the only shot that counts right? Now how would we be able to tell who the winner is of that one???
confused.gif

See you yourself is claiming it as luck! Which is the point to show people what luck is and what skill is.

If you think it is too much money to post up your target well that is fine and dandy don't do the comp then. I don't want anyone having to sell off their stuff just to shoot a online comp. But also know the more you post pics of 3 or 4 shot groups and claiming your rifle does it ever time. I will be there to call your bluff every time!
lol.gif
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: dmpowderOriginally Posted By: chucknbachWhere's your target? Sound like fun. Might be awhile for mine as it's hunting season.

Picture005-1.jpg

That is the point of this style of comp! Everyone has that ONE great target and since they shot that ONE single great target they think their rifle can do it all day long! (Well if they do their part!) This is to show who can walk the talk and not just talk the talk.

In my eyes 3 shots prove the load and 5 prove the shooter. BUT a sub MOA rifle don't mean jack $hit if the shooter is not capable of shooting a sub MOA groups! The rifle is only as good as the person driving it!! The rules are pretty simple 6 different 5 shot groups totaling 30 shots no more no less on one sheet of paper or board shot with one rifle at 100 yards!

If you do it once consider it luck! Do it more then once consider it skill!
wink.gif

As far as my target goes it will be up sometime next week as I'm out of bullets for my .243. I will also post one with my 6.5 Creedmoor. I have faith in my .243 and feel I will do pretty good with it but the Creedmoor I'm not so sure.

Plus I have been keeping busy doing the same comp with my AR. If you haven't seen that thread go check it out and you will see I'm more then happy to walk the walk! PM contest, Snipershide contest which started it all!

OK if this is about the shooter. Why the time limit?

Notice he said the shooter & the rifle. A single 3 shot group (or even 5 for the matter) doesn't mean chit. Everyone remembers that one good group they shot (some even have it in their wallet or pics in their avatar). THat little group is what they think the rifle will do every time... Try putting several on a peice of paper & see what the true average is... THATS what this is testing. What will your rifle (& you) do EVERY time. Try it; it a real eye opener!

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorI can't show up to a football game with a basketball... Rules is rules...

Take your ball & go home then...

Just kidd'n. I'm pretty sure everybody on this sight has a hunting rifle... Weather it groups really good or not post it. Lets see the averages of those rigs. I'm pretty sure nobodys got anything out of "MOC" (minute of coyote) at 100 yards (at least that they hunt with). Post what you got, it doesn't take itty bitty groups to have a good rifle.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorI can't show up to a football game with a basketball... Rules is rules...

Take your ball & go home then...

Just kidd'n. I'm pretty sure everybody on this sight has a hunting rifle... Weather it groups really good or not post it. Lets see the averages of those rigs. I'm pretty sure nobodys got anything out of "MOC" (minute of coyote) at 100 yards (at least that they hunt with). Post what you got, it doesn't take itty bitty groups to have a good rifle.

Well said coleridge. I have had some of my favorite hunting rifles that would barely do 1.5 MOA at 100yds with the stars aligned just right much less six 5 shot groups in a row. When they are in my hands while hunting, I'll be skinning more times than not
wink.gif
. First round hits day in and day out make a hunting rifle, groups show consistency in the rifle and shooter. Sometimes you get lucky and get both in the same shooter/rifle.

This reminds me of the Snipers Hide dot drill. That is another humbling experience. One bullet per dot about 15 times on one sheet at 100yds. Sounds easy enough...

Ya, im one of those guys thats has the consistant good group with the occasional GREAT group. I never did the 5 shots per target/6 targets thing. This should be interesting. I will do my best and post my shotgun patterns when I get my next range day.

Back