Calling all coons

Paul-e

I bought a new video "Crumblin Coons" by Minaska Outdoors with Todd and Steve Borland. They set up near a den tree, start up the e-caller, and wait for the racoons to come out and investigate. Some of the coons are very aggressive and attack the call or the decoy. Cool video, just wondering if anyone else has seen this video, or has tried calling racoons? (Rick Paillet, The Verminator, makes an appearance with his bow)

Watched it many times along with other coon calling vid's, and have been using this method ffor two years now! Works great, but it will P.O. the coon trappers and dog hunters!

Steve

Purchased their coon calling cd at the national trapping convention 4-5 years ago. I haven't wore it out yet but did burn a copy just in case. I have wore out a couple of cheap boom boxes, well I should say the coons have done a number on them. Does it work? You betcha! Alot of places I call usually have several den trees feet from each other, so, I always call with a buddy. It's alot easier to keep an eye on all the den trees with the exta set of eyes. As for the weapon of choice, I use a shotgun shooting dueces or bbs. For me it's alot easier than trying to keep a fast moving coon in a scope.

I'll be trying it possibly before the day's out. Thanks for the tip on shotgun vs rifle. I look forward to P$$in' off the dog hunters(my nephew's). There's a lot of places they can't/won't run their dogs because of the E-way or small parcels with no permission on either side, that calling would be perfect.

It's replaced dogs and traps as my primary way of coon killin. Caller don't eat/crap in the off season and I don't have to go out in horrid weather like you do with traps. No more high water, no more freezing sets, no more theives, etc etc.

Best weapon is the ol' 12ga (I also use BB), 2nd best a fast shooting rimfire with lot's and lot's of quality ammo. Don't stop shooting till it's on the ground and dead.

How does shotgunning with BB affect fur prices? How many holes do you typically have in a hide? NAFA says more than 3 holes results in a downgrade to slight damaged.

Not being critical. If I could use BB without losing a lot of money I would, so I'm trying to get some info. I guess it is a question of lost coons vs downgraded fur, and the money loss for each, so I'd like to do a comparison of which is the most costly.

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceIt's replaced dogs and traps as my primary way of coon killin. Caller don't eat/crap in the off season and I don't have to go out in horrid weather like you do with traps. No more high water, no more freezing sets, no more theives, etc etc.

Best weapon is the ol' 12ga (I also use BB), 2nd best a fast shooting rimfire with lot's and lot's of quality ammo. Don't stop shooting till it's on the ground and dead.

These are the primary reasons I switched to hunting coons instead of trapping them. Trapping requires a check every day, no matter what. And it can snow 6 inches or get half an inch of ice on a creek overnight, and I'm not out fixing or pulling sets that have gone dead.

Weekends can be devoted to coon hunting, 2 days and 2 nights, rather than 1 day of setting, one check, and then pull.

No more passing up spots because it is impossible to get a truck in there after a rain so daily checks are iffy. When calling, just wait until it is dry and go get 'em.

And I get permission on a lot more land than I do trapping. Most farmers I've run into don't have the same concerns about calling coons as they do trapping.

Originally Posted By: IversHow does shotgunning with BB affect fur prices? How many holes do you typically have in a hide? NAFA says more than 3 holes results in a downgrade to slight damaged.

Not being critical. If I could use BB without losing a lot of money I would, so I'm trying to get some info. I guess it is a question of lost coons vs downgraded fur, and the money loss for each, so I'd like to do a comparison of which is the most costly.

ive shot them with 4buck,not much damage as 1 would think.
i usally try to 2 3/4 loads,but have used 3in.

I like juvenile coons in distress sounds during the day, especially in the early season. Coon fight sounds at night. I probably don't have as much experience with it as some of these guys, but that's what seems to work for me.

Night calling is altogether different. I like to set up near places where they are feeding...creeks, corn fields, etc. Stand back from the caller with a red light and let 'er rip. After shooting any coons that are coming in, I shine the trees. Sometimes they go up the trees when the shooting starts, and sometimes they go up the trees instead of coming in, like they are trying to get a good vantage point to watch the fight.

Early in the season I use the kit distress sounds with more success. Later into the season brawling coons works really well. Wish we could use lights here in Ks, but it's a no go. So all my coon callin is done during the daylight hours. Remember to make sure you pull the trigger on them AFTER they get clear of the den. Ya don't want them crawling back into the den and dying where you can't get to them. As far as the fur, I don't put them up, just sell to my fur buyer on the carcass.

Originally Posted By: 2milehighguyThis is interesting, what do the calls sound like? Are they coon specific or will another 'regular' predator sound work?.

I checked Colorado's regulations and they look interesting. It is legal to hunt raccoons at night with a light on private land. Also legal on public land if you get a special permit.

The interesting thing is that it APPEARS TO ME that you can spotlight coons from a vehicle at night on private land so long as there isn't a magazine in the firearm or a shell in the chamber. Would be very easy to spotlight the treelines on private ground and load the firearm when you spot one and step out.

It also says that you can't fire a shotgun shooting a single slug within 50 feet of a road, but it is pretty specific about the shotgun firing a single slug. Looks to me like you can fire a shotgun next to a road, so long as you aren't shooting over the road.

I'd check all this out to make sure, but it looks like Colorado could be coon calling Heaven as far as the regulations go.

I love the regs here in Michigan. Racoon and coyote both have extended seasons "on private lands when doing or about to do damage". I'm still waiting for the opportunity to tell the warden, "well, he just had that look in his eyes, I knew he was up to somethin'!"

lol.. good un Paul.
wink.gif
.. Let me put it to you this way... It's just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.. Last year was my first season (calling 'coons - not the "clothes" thing).. 'Course I've been married 41 years and most days the 'coons are more responsive than my wife is...
wink.gif
.. Have fun!
laugh.gif

I wasn't impressed with the Crumblin Coons video. I was really excited to get it and I was a little let down. The website I ordered it from has a couple other videos I might look into. I'm so pumped for the season this year.

rugerider.. I have to agree. I just got my hands on one also. These guys definitly know what they are doing.. but.. I'm assuming this is pretty old footage. The quality was pretty poor by today's standards.. Could have stood a good "editing". Still fun to watch.

I'd trade someone for the Sells/Hootman tape. Haven't seen him for years but but used to know Mike personally. Any takers? PM me.

thnx

Yep coon calling is right up there in my top 3 favorite kinds of hunting. Get a good den tree once with coons going every which way and you'll be hooked for sure.

Back