best 22lr ammo for pure killin?

The most accurate hollowpoint from your particular barrel. Rimfires are picky as heck about the loads they favor most so trying as many different loads as you can pays dividends. This often surprises folks with how much differently their gun will shoot various loads.

You also didn't state the purpose of the ammo. Stingers may be ok for non-edible pest but are too destructive for small game in my experience. Personally, I have never found Stingers all that accurate either. CCI Mini Mags, Winchester Power Points, CCI Small Game Bullets, Eley Subsonic and Winchester Subsonic have all been very consistent and reliable for me over the years. My favorite load that usually shot from very well to extremely well in nearly every gun I tried it in has been discontinued, the Eley High Velocity Hollowpoint. Next choice was the Eley Subsonic, but it was out of production for a good while and now that it is back in production the price has shot through the roof. Now I'm shooting bricks of the Winchester Subsonic and it is performing extremely well for me at an affordable price point. The work is yours to do…

I gave up stingers and went to W-W power points years ago never looked back they have done a great job for me and shoot very well out of all my .22's.

Originally Posted By: TjkillerWhats the best hunting ammo? cost not an issue. I was told cci stinger is the ammo that sets the standard

Stingers have a longer case length than 22 LR specs, so if you have a match chamber they may give you problems. I had good luck with them killing jackrabbits in my old Marlin, but my current rifle won't even chamber them.

I shoot CCI hollowpoints for hunting now, mostly because they shoot well out of my barrel and they hit plenty hard. You'll need to figure out what shoots best out of your barrel, there's no way for anyone to predict that.

TJ,.I have a half dozen .22lrs (from match type to field type) and I think each one has it's own preference for accuracy...If my intent is for hunting or target shooting, accuracy is king in my mind and I've accumulated over 25 different brands/types in an attempt to find what each one likes...Some brands are inexpensive, and some not so much..

When I introduce my grandkids to shooting, I start with larger targets and open sights, so shooting tiny groups is not really that important until they start becoming pretty concerned about smaller targets, so my 'not so accurate' rounds don't just collect dust...Plinking at tin cans can eat up a bunch..

As stated in some of the earlier posts, for hunting purposes, some of the .22lr rounds can be pretty destructive and if you are intent on saving meat, you may not want some of the 'super explosive' or Hyper Velocity rounds, as they can shred a Rabbit or Squirrel past the point of being desirable...(Most can't make head shots all the time..)

Originally Posted By: rickybNot trying to high jack the threading do y'all clean the.22 rimfire barrel like a centerfire rifle.

There's no copper fouling and I prefer to let rimfire barrels go between cleanings until the accuracy falls off. That can be a LONG time. You still need to keep the chamber clean.

So no, it's not much like a centerfire.

Quote:Not trying to high jack the threading do y'all clean the.22 rimfire barrel like a centerfire rifle....I don't mine...Most .22lr ammo is pre-lubed and other than running a patch through the barrel once in awhile, I haven't noticed any negative effects in accuracy...

If I'm intending to store it for a long period of time, or it starts functioning poorly, I'll do a thorough cleaning job that entails tearing the whole rifle apart...

I may have 5000 rounds down the barrel. Think I will run a patch of slip 2000 down it for kicks. Got an Otis cleaning system years ago and may break it out for this. Thanks rick

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357For knock down power I like the CCI Quick Shok segmented bullets. They work well for Me. Lots to try, good luck.

I've been meaning to try these. I've seen some nasty wounds produced by em. I usally use CCI Stingers for hunting, or Remington Sub-Sonics for round the garden.

I use CCI quick shocks on skunks around my place and they work well. FWIW, I took my .22 rifles to the range last year and shot all kinds of ammo thru them,the most accurate by far were the cheap Winchesters ( 333,555), worked great in my Ruger 77/22s.

I like Reminton yellow jackets but last weekend I shot some Winchester HE's. The ground hog I shot did not move just laid down. I am going to try them on fox when the season comes in.

I have a friend that shoots alot of dogs, and his experience has shown CCI Velocitors are a good killer and that Winchesters HE 3/1 Segmented bullet kills best. The CCI segmented bullet does a nice job on dipatching coytoe's in a trap as well.

Last edited:
Big fan of the CCI Velocitors
thumbup.gif

Federal bulk hollow points kill as well as anything else I have used. I know they are cheap junk but sometimes cheap junk is all you need.

If more performance is required to get the job done I'll switch to the .22 magnum.

Last edited:

Accuracy aside (already been thoroughly addressed), kinda depends on what ya wanting to whack. As shown, rounds like the Stingers and the segmented HP's would do a bang up job and offer dramatic kills on small stuff but will lack pentration when we get into the realm of big ground hogs and coon. Velocitor's are a much better choice when extra thump is needed/wanted IMO.

Quote:If more performance is required to get the job done I'll switch to the .22 magnum.
If more performance is need I'll switch to a centerfire thank you very much.

Back