When is fur prime?

hunt1

I was on my way to Bismark, ND today and saw a dead coyote on the side of the interstate. Its fur looked really good. My question is when is fur prime in North Dakota or Northern Mn?

in north dakota they should be ready in the middle of oct,that is when i have always started for over fourty yrs.and here they start going down hill the first of jan.their hair quits growing in dec.so any damage stays,up north where there is deep snow they are good all of jan.because they don't run through brush

not yet.

one of the bet hides i ever got was first week of october. but then i hunt at higher elevations than most. for lower elevations seems like late oct or early november.

When its only divisors are 1 and itself? No, wait, wrong prime.

Fur is prime when the coyote is the leader of a band of robots from outer space. Dang it! That's not right either. Maybe it's when they got a really good rate on their bank loans? Or is it a coyote that you shoot while watching a terrible movie with Uma Thurman and Meryl Streep?

Sorry, couldn't help myself this morning.

In general, we start thickening a bit in sept, but most aren't in good shape until late October or early November. It varies a bit from year to year. With our climate and habitat, they can get pretty tasseled by late January so really we're looking our best November and December.

But that's not to say dogs aren't blowing out their summer coats and pushing up their undercoats yet, because they are, they just don't reach their best fur yet for a month or so.

Originally Posted By: UtahcallerNot in Utah they ain't. Another month or month in a half until they're Prime here.

Good Hunting Chad

Yes. It is usually the end of Oct before they start getting good.

3/4 the price if not quite prime is much better than nothing. If high altitude or far north it would be getting close to being prime. Here in N. IA it is usually nov 15th to the first of Dec. But then bobcats and badgers prime up even later, like January

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tactical .203/4 the price if not quite prime is much better than nothing. If high altitude or far north it would be getting close to being prime. Here in N. IA it is usually nov 15th to the first of Dec. But then bobcats and badgers prime up even later, like January

+1... kansas too

Back