Savage axis 30.06 with Bushnell scope?

rynokron

Gonna pick one up this weekend. Lightly used. It comes with a cheapie Bushnell 3x9x40. Have the same scope on my 10/22. Seems to work just fine. No, it's no Nightforce!

My question is will the cheap scope that comes with the gun hold zero with the big bore? Here in Wa big magnification isn't usually nessasary. For a big game only rifle that will only get shot a few times on a good year I don't see the need for a real expensive scope unless this one is unreliable. Just to clarify, it's the one that came factory with the rifle as a hunter package.

Buy the rifle bare, no scope. Put $150 onto a redfield and be $100 ahead of the game.

Package scopes belong on the clearance shelf at Wallyworld, not on a good shooting rifle.

My last 'cheap' scope. Better than it deserved even though it started on a 1 box a year 30-06.

DSCF3141.jpg

lol.gif
That is too funny! I have a pretty decent leupold rifleman 3x9x40 I could throw on it. Just have to take it off my AR and go back to a red dot. Then I guess my .243 would become my go to calling rifle. Right now it's 50/50. It's good to have options!

Last time I took a counter guys word, lasted almost 2 whole seasons on the 06 before it wouldn't hold zero. I started moving it to lighter calibers and it would last a few boxes. It finally completely failed 30 hours from home on a pig hunt. We were chasing squirrels during the afternoons when we weren't actually hunting. It just couldn't survive the massive recoil of my 10/22. I needed some way to check the irons....

Unless your LGS is vastly diff than mine, don't buy the Axis(of Evil)/Edge. Buy the Stevens for the same money.
There is more aftermarket support for the stevens, as it is a pre-accutrigger Savage. The Edge/Axis is a different animal.

Originally Posted By: DarkkerUnless your LGS is vastly diff than mine, don't buy the Axis(of Evil)/Edge. Buy the Stevens for the same money.
There is more aftermarket support for the stevens, as it is a pre-accutrigger Savage. The Edge/Axis is a different animal.

Originally Posted By: rynokron For a big game only rifle that will only get shot a few times on a good year

What would one need aftermarket support for a rifle that will only be shot a few times??

Don't try to instil logic here...
laugh.gif

Locally, bare edge 250, bare stevens 450. Prices from memory so may be outdated.

Edge will shoot really well, stevens will shoot just as well.

Edge and 10 cent spring... Pretty much the end of possible mods. Stevens and 100 trigger or a little time, puts them on level ground, and you can throw a couple hundred more at a stock. End of the day they'll both shoot the same.

For someone that doesnt want to restock or mod, advantage goes to the lesser expense.

It's a very gently used rifle so it is what it is. Price is right and it fits what I need. A big bore to bear and deer hunt with. So a really good year would be 4 hunting shots. Will definately sight it in first, but round count will be minimal. That's why I'm wondering if I can get away with using the cheapie Bushnell it comes with. No mods needed.

Will most likely put my leupold rifleman on it and if I decide I don't like the red dot on my AR I will get some better glass for that. Thanks for the replies.

At a wild game dinner my future son-in-law won a Marlin XL7 package with that same scope on it. The eye relief is way too short for something that kicks like a .30-06. I got scope eye cuts on my first two shots and changed it out to a Nikon.

If you can get the gun with scope for the price of the gun alone you are doing fine, but if you are paying anything for the scope you are going backwards. You will not want it on there long.

Number of trigger and stock, bolt parts, are what I was speaking to for aftermarket support.
The Stevens is a 2-screw Savage, so you already get adjustability from the factory without having to buy parts.

If you don't plan on doing anything but a wee bit O sighting in, then only a few hunting shots; I suppose that it is a nill point. I personally try and shoot my hunting rifles as much as possible, to become familiar with them. Don't like crappy triggers, or stocks that don't fit me, but that is personal.

Over here the Axis/Edge, Stevens, Marlin X7's are all right at $300 OTD.

Well I picked it up yesterday. Ended up giving $250 for it. Guy only shot 1 box of ammo through it and needed some money. Turned out good for both of us I guess. Scope will go into a box and mabey end up on my .22lr some day. For my purpose it will be a great rifle. Won't get used much, but it won't have to be treated like royalty when it does. Enough knock down power for anything I'm going to shoot at. After I switch scopes I'll take it to the range and report back hopefully with good news.

250 is pretty good. I got mine on gb for 200, ffl that received it was vwry curious how I got that price. Well below what they clould have gotten it for.

They're fairly light and easy to carry, you'll feel the light weight a little more on the shoulder though. Its. Oticeably brisker than my stevens with the same load.

Back