Del-Ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnslim

I've been checking out the Del-Ton rifle site and wondered if anyone on here had any experience with these rifles. I'm interested in the DT Sport. I don't need to hang any lights and such, pretty much just a basic rifle and these are at a good price. Any thoughts?

If you put "Del-Ton" in the PM search engine at the top of the page, you will find a bunch of threads on them...

I'm not sure, but I think the company is based in NC, but I remember them having some sort of relationship with DPMS at one time...it may have just been as a co-sponsor at the DPMS three gun matches...But the shooting range behind DPMS was also named Del-Ton

Usually pretty good quality at reasonable prices...I know they seem to sell out of several models pretty quickly...

Built a few from their kits.
Standard fodder, just like anyone else.
Typically the barrels are Wilson or Mossberg.

No complaints

Mossberg makes AR barrels? Wow,I learn something everyday. I wanted to buy a Del-Ton upper but it was out of stock and has been for a few months. Suppose to be waiting on barrels. I went a different direction due to availability issues.

Cant go wrong with Del-Ton in my opinion...i love mine, 1"-1 1/4" groups out of the box at 100 yards...no bull barrel or free float tube.

I would stay far away from anything produced by Del Ton. Stick to manufacturers that have proven to conform to or exceed the technical data packages required to meet military contracts and have an exceptional quality control process.

Colt, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Larue, and Spikes Tactical produce quality AR rifles.

Rifles are tools. Del Ton is the Chinese made socket wrench on sale at Harbor freight. The manufacturers listed above are the Snap On or Craftsman of AR's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Wow, MJ, two post in and both are bashing people's purchases...Nice to meet you too!

Not bashing at all. Im giving the OP information so he might make a more informed choice when spending good money on a rifle.

Last edited:
I have produced many sub-MOA rifle from components that you talk down. And plenty of others have done the same. To say one MUST go with main-stream big names are foolish. And to compare DPMS to china tools os asinine. We're making hunting rifles, here. Not combat weapons. There is a huge differance. Then you use Craftsman and Snap-On as your analogy, but yet they are starting to outsource to China. Trust me, we just got all new Snap-On tool boxes and an increasing number of them lack the made in USA stamp.

Originally Posted By: mj36639I would stay far away from anything produced by Del Ton. Stick to manufacturers that have proven to conform to or exceed the technical data packages required to meet military contracts and have an exceptional quality control process.

Colt, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Larue, and Spikes Tactical produce quality AR rifles.

Rifles are tools. Del Ton is the Chinese made socket wrench on sale at Harbor freight. The manufacturers listed above are the Snap On or Craftsman of AR's.

Total hogwash....

I have many Del ton uppers and they shoot just fine. I just recomended a del ton upper to my brother who wanted to put together a AR quickly at an economical price.

Not a custom gun by all means but a working weapon for sure.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKEROriginally Posted By: mj36639I would stay far away from anything produced by Del Ton. Stick to manufacturers that have proven to conform to or exceed the technical data packages required to meet military contracts and have an exceptional quality control process.

Total hogwash....

I have many Del ton uppers and they shoot just fine. I just recomended a del ton upper to my brother who wanted to put together a AR quickly at an economical price.

Not a custom gun by all means but a working weapon for sure.

I use my AR's pretty hard firing several thousand of rounds per year. Del Ton might be fine for a range gun, safe gun, and occassional hunting use. Just don't kid yourself into believing it's a first rate carbine.

I just don't understand why you would want to pay good money for a substandard AR when a Colt, BCM, or Spikes is just $100-$200 more. Those Bushmaster, Del Ton, Olympic rifles are cheaper for a reason. Commercial spec parts, manufacturing short cuts and lack of QC.

Here are a couple links helpful to becoming an informed consumer when purchasing AR rifles.

Desirable features of Commercial M-4 pattern carbines.

Comparison chart of major AR brands

Last edited:
Most guys here will never shoot thousands of rounds in a lifetime. This is a hunting forum. The vast majority are here for hunting purposes only. And to say that one must spend more money to get a serviceable rifle is silly, at best. Just because "you don't understand" doesn't make your opinion rule. I will take my "sub-standard" ARs and hunt. Thanks for your concern...

Wow...I wish i would have known all this before i had dtech build me a rifle several years ago using a substandard Olympic Arms SUM barrel that shoots simply outstanding.

An to think i could have put a colt barrel in it......haa haa haa

I'm not one to spend big money just to get a big name gun. I did the search on Del-Ton and saw a lot of favorable reviews. I like the fact they are USA made, (NC) and the price is right. I'm trying to find one locally to get it in my hands before buying online. Also, I handload and want to save my brass so I would probably want a brass catcher of some sort too.

We sell Del-Ton rifles, uppers and lowers...alot of them, and never had anyone have an issue.

As usual, ask a Colt owner what is the best, and the response is Colt, everything else is junk....closed minded answer.

I would stay far away from anything produced by Del Ton. Stick to manufacturers that have proven to conform to or exceed the technical data packages required to meet military contracts and have an exceptional quality control process.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I know Tony personally, been in his shop many times, and have several of his guns. He produces many of the products he sales on state of the art cnc machines including turning his own barrels. Everything they do there is under stringent Quality Control. If you want to pay for a name go ahead but if you want a QUALITY rifle at a resonable price you can not go wrong with DelTon.

Last edited:
While I dont post in the AR section that often, and know nothing about del-ton, I have a few thoughts.

Does Delton HPT and MPI test their barrels and bolts? Do they properly stake gas keys and Castle nuts? Do they parkerize under the front sight or gas block? I dont know, Im just asking... Please let me know.

One of the largest problem with the AR community, is that guys will buy one and think "its just for hunting, I dont need mil-spec" and that is fine. No issue with that. The problem is that a lot of these same guys also think "well if anything happens I have an AR I can use to protect myself" The mil-spec is the minimum acceptable standard for defensive guns for the military. No soldiers life is worth more than mine and if he gets a set standard then I want one that meets or exceeds that that standard.

We all make our bed and have to sleep in it. I'm not here to tell anyone what to buy. Just truly evaluate your needs. If you are going to or think you may use your firearm in a violent and life changing confrontation the Big Three chosen by professional gunfighters right now are Colt, Daniel Defense, and BCM. Other companies like Knights Armament, LWRC, Noveski, Larue, etc are also good, but more expensive and more "Gucci" than those three listed. If you want a hunting or sporting gun, buy what you want and I'm sure that you will be more than satisfied. Just know what you are getting and what the standard for your weapon is.

A typical example is that tons of guys go out and buy rifle XYZ for self defense. Said rifle doesnt meet the specs listed by mj36639 and is over gassed. The rifle functions great with all ammo, but what people dont know is that to get the gun to run with that wide range of ammo, the gun must be over gassed. This means that unknown to them, the gun is beating itself up with every round. Later, their rifle gets whats known as bolt bounce... their AR later detonates because they had a round fire as the bolt came back out of battery. The person is then pissed and blames "bad ammo" or something for a condition created by the manufacturer of the rifle.

I'm not knocking Del-Ton or any other brand, I'm just curious where they fit in the market. Have I owned "cheap but great ARs? Yes... now that I know better will I? Nope... but its your rifle and its your choice.

Bolts are hp/mp tested. The extreme duty rifle has a hammer forged hp/mp tested barrel all other barrels are mil spec 4150 chrom moly vanadium except sport model rifle which is 4140 steel. Only a few manufactures are using 4150 steel and one of them is not Colt. Oh Yeah Chrome lined Gas keys are properly staked and sealed with grade 8 screws and everything is parkerized. Hope this answered your questions.

Last edited:
All you boys with Dtechs, Specializeddynamics, Rock Rivers, DPMS, blah, blah, blah are gonna put an eye out with those things. God forbid you may use one of them new fangled plastic, errr, polymer lowers. One of them damm things outta be good for puttin both eyes out!

This crap is getting kinda ridiculous. Good grief.

Then again, I ain't a profession gunfighter. I likely don't know schitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back