New Frontier Armory Lower - First Impression

shankbone

If you are looking for a detailed review of a New Frontier Armory complete lower ( as shipped from NFA), stop reading now. This lower is one of two lowers I received and tried out today with my new RRA Predator Pursuit. I purchased the NFA polymer lower because I was purchasing another lower at the same time and I thought I would see what all the fuss was about.

I sighted in my new upper with an Aero Precision lower (can't wait to get a new trigger) and then transferred the upper to the NFA lower and put 90 rounds down range while breaking in the new barrel.

The New Frontier is one of two lowers I purchased for my first AR, so I dont have a lot of experience with ARs and all their fancy lingo.

Trigger: mushy, but I shot better groups with the NFA lower and trigger than I did with the Aero.

Magwell: both GI mags and PMags dropped free when unloaded

Mold lines: whatever the little seams are called on polymer parts, this lower has 'em in spades

Lock-up: the lower fit tighter to the upper than the Aero.

Theone thing I noticed that will have to be corrected is the takedown pins, which are polymer, like the hammer and much of the trigger group that I could see upon quick inspection. Again, I'm unfamiliar with ARs, so if you have a specific question about the lower, let me know and I will take a look.

I am planning on continuing to test the lower and will keep you updated. Send ammo...

Originally Posted By: shankbone
Theone thing I noticed that will have to be corrected is the takedown pins, which are polymer,

I've had no problems with the poly pins.

The Generation II take down pins are available from JoeBob's and NFA direct.

A traditional LPK works just fine as well with their polymer lowers. LW15.com has the torture tests.

Originally Posted By: HereticThe Generation II take down pins are available from JoeBob's and NFA direct.

A traditional LPK works just fine as well with their polymer lowers. LW15.com has the torture tests.

Just FYI, the GenII takedown pins are installed in ALL the New Frontier Complete lowers purchased over the last 6mo or so (serial numbers $2000+), so there is no need for the upgrade kit unless it's one of the original 2000.

Originally Posted By: HereticThe Generation II take down pins are available from JoeBob's and NFA direct.

Sounds like he just recently got this lower. It should already have the gen II pins in it.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: HereticThe Generation II take down pins are available from JoeBob's and NFA direct.

Sounds like he just recently got this lower. It should already have the gen II pins in it.

The lower is brand new, so I guess it does have the Generation II pins, whatever those may be. I just didn't like the looks of the polymer pins, but I will leave them as is.

from New Frontier Armory on facebook...

620733_4588456594907_84390555_o.jpg

CHECK OUT THIS PIC AND LETTER WE JUST GOT FROM A CUSTOMER TODAY ON THE DURABILITY OF OUR LW-15 LOWER. PICTURES ARE WORTH A MILLION WORDS!!

This is the result of running over one of my AR-15s with my 50hp tractor and a 6 ft Bush Hog. How it occurred is a long sad story, but of no importance to you.

The lower is one of you polymer lowers. What happened here speaks volumes about the ability of the
polymer lower to take punishment and keep on functioning.

The polymer stock was ripped out of the threads of the lower. The keeper key was bent and the buffer with spring went flying. The bolt carrier was sticking about 1/3 of its length out of the back of the upper. You will note that the rear takedown pin appears to be missing, not so. The upper sheared the rear pin off at both ends and the polymer pin’s center was still in the upper. The half full magazine was ripped out of the lower. After cleaning, the magazine went right back into the lower and locked up, with the release functioning as prior to modification. The trigger, sear and hammer functioned perfectly after the sand was removed and the lower was flushed.

After cleaning with mineral spirits and flushing then hammering the key flat, the stock treaded right back onto the lower, locked up, and was ready to go with the replacement of the rear pin, plunger and spring, plus the buffer plunger and its spring.

The aluminum upper receiver did not fare so well, it was cracked where the barrel extension attached to the upper receiver. Oh, I had to cut the barrel, forearm and gas tube off 6 inches in front of the receiver with a saws-all to get the upper apart. The barrel was bent in 3 directions and the gas tube, still attached to the gas block, was wrapped around the barrel.

If someone wants to know how tough your lower is and if your lower will take punishment, show them this picture.

-Ed H.

Originally Posted By: Hibsfrom New Frontier Armory on facebook...

620733_4588456594907_84390555_o.jpg

CHECK OUT THIS PIC AND LETTER WE JUST GOT FROM A CUSTOMER TODAY ON THE DURABILITY OF OUR LW-15 LOWER. PICTURES ARE WORTH A MILLION WORDS!!

This is the result of running over one of my AR-15s with my 50hp tractor and a 6 ft Bush Hog. How it occurred is a long sad story, but of no importance to you.

-Ed H.

Okay, sounds like I won't be reporting any issues for awhile. I mean, I don't own a tractor let alone a brush hog, so no worries there.

If that was run over I would expect to see damage to the pistol grip as well as the scope. Scope looks untouched.

Originally Posted By: reb8600If that was run over I would expect to see damage to the pistol grip as well as the scope. Scope looks untouched.

Uh oh. We have a non believer among us.
scared.gif

I agree with ya. I've seen *stuff* after being mixed, churned, cut, slashed, battered, whacked, tossed and turned by the blades of a brush hog. That rifle/scope don't look like it has done battle with a brush hog.

But alas, the internet and facebook have made legends out of much less worthy items.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: HereticThe Generation II take down pins are available from JoeBob's and NFA direct.

Just FYI, the GenII takedown pins are installed in ALL the New Frontier Complete lowers purchased over the last 6mo or so (serial numbers $2000+), so there is no need for the upgrade kit unless it's one of the original 2000.

Right, I mentioned it because he brought up the take down pins. Didn't know if it was one of the early ones.

Originally Posted By: reb8600If that was run over I would expect to see damage to the pistol grip as well as the scope. Scope looks untouched.

Agreed.

No offense, but I haven't run many firearms over with a bushhog (or any lawn and garden tool) and I doubt you have either. My GUESS, is that either the stock or barrel was sticking up slightly higher than the middle section (which would be around the axis of the blade, IE, no rotating sharp objects) causing the ENTIRE middle section (scope and lower) to be less "chopped" than the outer sections.

If the barrel got caught up mainly in the blades it would drive the middle and stock down into the ground away from the other side of the blade system. It couldn't chop up both ends of a rifle at the same time if the rifle is parallel with the blades, and the center wouldn't get chopped up as much either, IMO. It looks like the barrel got caught up, forced the rear of the rifle down, mangled up the barrel, and then spit it out. That's me thinking outside the mower box though.

New Frontier forwarded us on the email from the customer directly, so we have the customers email (he didn't buy the lower from us), so that does confirm his identity. There's no way that damage was caused by someone beating it with a hammer or going at it with a sawzall. Not sure if you were trying to imply a site sponsor was lying about their customer's claim or......?

Last edited:
Didnt say anyone was lying. I stated that I would have expected to see damage to the scope. Especially with that much damage to the barrel. Looking at the posts, I am not the only one that thinks so.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Didnt say anyone was lying. I stated that I would have expected to see damage to the scope. Especially with that much damage to the barrel. Looking at the posts, I am not the only one that thinks so.

Understood, but you're a moderator... Are you suspect that they are lying? If not, I don't understand the comment.

It wasn't worded: "Wow, I'm surprised that scope didn't get damaged in that bushhog"

It was worded:

Which to me, implies they are lying?

It was a simple comment, dont put any more into it, there are no lines that you need to read between. Two other people also commented but because I am a moderator you put more into my comment than I said.

What does me being a moderator have to do with any of it? Does that title mean that I cannot make a post or a comment here? What are you implying with that comment? So it wasnt worded the way you want it. If you would like, I will go back and edit it for you. You are the one that is bringing up lying and accusing people (sponsors) not me or anyone else.

Back