First time out with the Burris Eliminator III out to 1000 yards

xphunter

New video on the last page with the improved Burris E-3 with touch-pad.
It also is designed to be used with rimfire, straight-wall cases and subsonic ammunition.
I like it!

Update on my 6.5x47L
I wasn't able to sight in my scope yet as I have a 30mm pic rail/base.
The Burris Eliminator III is not designed with a lot of internal MOA adjustment since the purpose of the scope is to use the technology for distance.
I put in their shim/lift kit which came in on Friday and bore sighted it easily.
Today I went the range and zeroed it at 100 yards as per the instructions.
I had already programmed it for my drop and BC.
It was easy to be exact on my 100 yard zero with the 1/8 MOA clicks on the turrets which you can zero like one would a target turret.
A friend from church who was with me helped me set up a steel target at 750 yards.
Actually we set it up at 749 but it was close enough for what I wanted.
Shooting of off a Harris bi-pod and my small Holland field bag.
Lasered the target and it came up as 749 yards which is the same distance my Leica 1600 LRF gave me.
Wind was coming from the right and I guesstimated the speed as I checked the correction for a 10 mph FV (upper right part of the scope) and held slightly right and sent it.
First shot at distance (749 yards) with Eliminator was perfect for drop, but slightly under doped the wind and hit at three O'Clock.
Best word I can come up with is giddy.
My friend from church who was watching through my spotting scope could hardly believe his eyes.
We went and took some pics then took a break as we were shooting to other rifles as well: 7mm STW & a 30-378 Weatherby.
About an hour later, Tracy shot from 400-1000 yards with first shot connections each time with my 6.5-47L.
Bright sunshine and mirage was now in play.
He said it was so easy it made him feel like he was cheating.
Since once you laser the target, everything you need to make the shot is in the optic, but you still have to determine what the wind is doing, but the correction value is right there for you.
When they say "Range it & Eliminate it!" they weren't kidding.
Tracy said when he first heard about it, he though it may be more of a gimmick and not practical for field use.
He doesn't feel that way anymore. I think the scope on his Tikka 300 WSM may be for sale in the future.
Pics of the target:
DSC01107.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

DSC01106.jpg

For those who don't shoot distance much I had Tracy take two pics looking back to the bench, one with no zoom and then the second one with as much zoom this little digital camera has. On the pic that is zoomed the shooting bench is just above the head of the target.
DSC01110.jpg

DSC01111.jpg

I let him shoot the rest of my ammo that I had on hand. He was having a blast, literally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xphunteronce you laser the target, everything you need to make the shot is in the optic, but you still have to determine what the wind is doing

This would be true of most scopes, no???
grin.gif

Cool stuff Ernie. Thanks for sharing......

I don't know of many rifle scopes that give you the range internally, show the drop automatically, and the wind correction for a 10 mph FV wind, automatically corrects for shooting angles, and although the reticle is in the SFP, you can change power and the technology corrects it as if you are using a FFP reticle.
I don't think it wakes you up in the morning or brushes your teeth for you though
lol.gif

I am pretty impressed with it so far.
Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: xphunteronce you laser the target, everything you need to make the shot is in the optic, but you still have to determine what the wind is doing

This would be true of most scopes, no???
grin.gif

Cool stuff Ernie. Thanks for sharing......

No.
You may be able to get a 100 yard with a 20 MOA rail or Burris will get a shim.
Future Elim 3's may come with the shim in the box-Need to check and find out for sure, but Burris does have them in stock.

That would have been a dead lope for sure at 749 yards.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Looks like the 'lopes are in trouble. Good deal!

It is noticeably better than the My other Eliminator.
The glass is good enough for me. Had no problems shooting at a grand with it.
Haven't had it in low light yet.
The big Trijicon variable when turned down to 16x seemed to be some brighter than it, but that was only in one condition (cloud covered with some moisture in the air looking beyond 1000 yards).
A Sightron Big Sky S-II at 16 power seemed similar.
I had both scopes close and did a quick non-bench comparison for first impressions after I saw your post.
As you know a scope is more than its clarity, but it is the total package of what you are getting.
I don't think the Elim III will be as bright as other upper scopes simply because of what is required to put all of the technology (lights) in the reticle.
That being said, is plenty to clear to date for me and my uses.

Originally Posted By: xphunterThat would have been a dead lope for sure at 749 yards.
thumbup1.gif

Heck, that would have been a dead PDog! Nice shooting!

I guess it is better to be lucky than good
w00t.gif

Going doggin tomorrow.
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: xphunterThat would have been a dead lope for sure at 749 yards.
thumbup1.gif

Heck, that would have been a dead PDog! Nice shooting!

I wonder whe our military snipers will start using these. Sounds like someday non-range finding scopes will be obsolete.

Originally Posted By: DazeI wonder whe our military snipers will start using these. Sounds like someday non-range finding scopes will be obsolete.

They already have range finding scopes and spotting scopes. That's what Mil-Dots are for.

I like the scope, for sure. But I don't see an application of these kind of electronics in war fighting.

Awsome shooting..

If you had a light at night would this scope still range find and work?

Also at night can you see the range digits? Are they colored?

Thanks..

I think it is possible that technology combined with ruggedness could improve to the degree that it could happen.
Usually snipers work in pairs and the spotter is typically responsible for ranging and calling dope (many times they will both be working a solution).
This leaves the shooter to make sure he has a good foundation built and is focusing on a good trigger pull.
There are some really good laser rangefinders for the civilian market, so you can be assured our military has some LRF's that can do some really cool things
thumbup.gif

FYI - The Eliminator 3 windage reticle is simply a MIL reticle.
So if technology fails, one could reticle range with the MIL reticle and shoot if you had a hard copy drop chart determined in MILs.
Originally Posted By: DazeI wonder whe our military snipers will start using these. Sounds like someday non-range finding scopes will be obsolete.

Back