2 Is Definitely Better Than 1

cathntr

Last night I treated my family to a Royals game and while there we got on the subject of bow season which opened up this morning here in Missouri. My dad and brother were trying to explain to me where they put their stands at and dad got side tracked telling me about a dead cow that was at the north end of the property just to the east of the treeline where my brother had put his ladder stand. Knowing that my brother had to work this morning and dad had other plans I decided I would get up this morning and head out there to give it a shot before they started bow hunting tomorrow.

I arrived at my parents house just after first light and began the long hike to the back side of the property. Once I got back there I located the dead cow and looked for a good place to set. Wind was pretty much non existant so I decided I would just set up at the base of a tree against the North treeline facing south. This gave me a good view of everything around me with timber at my back.

With it being this early in the year and there being a good food source with the dead cow I decided I would use nothing but coyote vocals. I had placed the Fury out in front of me about 50 yards before setting down. I fired up the remote and started out with some female howls for a minute or two followed by a period of silence. I then decided to try something I had never used before and went into growling coyotes to make it sound like they were getting ready to fight over the cow. I let this sound play for a minute or so followed by more silence. Shortly after I began playing hurt pup distress two. About 30 seconds in I catch movement off to my right side. I had three hard chargers coming in at full speed. Once the lead dog got straight south of me I tried to get him to stop but he wasnt having it so I took aim and gently squeezed the trigger making a poor shot that sent him into a frantic death spin.

As the other two coyotes were fleeing the scene I fired off a couple warning shots with no luck. All the while the Fury is still screaming away mixed in with barks and growls of the downed coyote. Suddenly the middle coyote decided to circle back around just to the south of his hurt comrad to see what was keeping him. Once I got him to stop I centered the cross hairs on his chest and coyote number two was down. I then quickly placed another shot in coyote one to end the misery. I let the call play for a few more minutes hoping the third would come back, but I couldn't stand it any longer and had to go check out my prizes. I had just called in and killed my first double and was excited beyond words.

Both coyotes were males with one being quite a bit larger than the other. In the death spin of the first coyote he managed to bite my call in two different places without me ever seeing it happen. Not to mention it is completely covered in blood but as long as it still functions properly it just adds character and makes it worth it. Hope you all enjoy reading and good hunting. Oh yeah, two coyotes is definitely better than one!

1103.jpg

1104.jpg

1105.jpg

1107.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully nothing happened to the internals of my call during the commotion. Don't think coyote attack is covered by warranty and I believe I would have to cry. Lot of green backs tied up in it.

Back