New AR on the block...

Rocky1

Well, I broke down and joined the black rifle club today.

Recently won a Maverick Hunter 12 ga. Over/Under synthetic, on a game of chance at the local tavern. Wasn't real impressed with the looks of it, and with the synthetic stock I didn't find it to be balanced well, at all. Already own 6 shotguns, and 4 of them sit in the gun safe all the time. Brand new gun though, only time it was ever taken out of the box was to see if it fit me and felt good enough to keep. That took all of about 2 minutes total, and I put it back in the bags, back in the box, and closed her back up.

Had to go visit the local gunshop today, so I loaded up the ugly shotgun, that didn't feel right, and took it along. Salesman got pretty close to what I wanted out of it, without even dickering too much. Picked a DPMS Low Pro Classic he had on the shelf to trade on, (only AR in the shop at the moment). Flat top - 5.56/223 - 16 inch Bull Barrell - with 1 - 9 twist. http://www.dpmsinc.com/LO-PRO-CLASSIC_ep_137-1.html

Topped it with a Tasco World Class 3 - 9 x 40. Ballisti-plex w/mil-dot reticle. Yeah, I know guys, I probably shoulda put better glass on it, BUT.... This is gonna be a truck gun, rattling around on the floorboard between the seats on the jeep, under the seat of the pickup, drug through the fields shootin old ugly coyotes, and whatever, so I really wasn't interested in putting any of the 6 - 7 hundred dollar Leupolds I looked at on it. I can abuse the [beeep] out of a $65 scope without remorse, but it would pain me seriously to treat one that cost me $600+ like that.

I was pleasantly surprised with it however... Threw everything in a box, tossed it all in the jeep, and took off. Salesman was trying to get to the cafe for the cheeseburger he'd ordered 45 minutes earlier, and I didn't want to hold him up any longer, by begging him to mount the scope and bore sight it. Went out to our little makeshift range, mounted the riser on the rail, put on my rings, mounted my scope, adjusted it to fit me, looked to be a little tall for the case, so I tried it in the factory hard case, and the SOB wouldn't fit with the knobs on the riser to the left; had to take it all apart, and do it all over again.

Went to 10 yards, laid it over the hood of the Jeep, squeezed the trigger and it was dang near dead center left to right, but about 7 inches low. Cranked it up close, as in really close at 10, in 4 rounds. Moved the jeep and backed out to 25 yards where the picnic table was set up, drug my tackle box out for a rest, I was 5 inches high! I shoulda just started at 25, I could have cranked it up a dozen notches and gone home after 2 rounds!! But what are the odds???
huh.gif

Backed her down in the center ring again, in 2 more rounds, went 3 clicks right, and 2 up, and it was scary. Hit an inch by inch bull, dead center. Couldn't have measured it and been closer. I then proceeded to print two 3 shot groups you could have covered easily with a quarter, shooting off my tackle box, sitting at a broke picnic table, in a 25 mph wind, with gusts to 30 - 35!! And, with exception of one stray, I jerked the trigger on, you coulda covered them with a nickel.

Not to mention I'm not moving or bending real good after exiting a ladder at work prematurely and landing flat of my back, on top of a pallet on a concrete floor, from about 5 feet in the air, last Thursday. Which just ain't cool at 54 years old, and 265 lbs. And, that's with a factory trigger that has just a little bit of creep, and takes about as much to pull, as my jeep in a mudhole!

To say the least I was impressed!! I think I'm reeeeeally gonna like this gun!!
grin.gif

Got 3 questions however...

1.) What do you guys in the know, recommend for a better (maybe adjustable) affordable trigger?

2.) What would you recommend for a sling on this thing? And...

3.) What is available for front sling mount for this model? There's nothing there to mount too, short of tying it around the barrel.

Quote:1.) What do you guys in the know, recommend for a better (maybe adjustable) affordable trigger?
2.) What would you recommend for a sling on this thing? And...
3.) What is available for front sling mount for this model? There's nothing there to mount too, short of tying it around the barrel....
1) For a good trigger, I'd go with a Timney or Chip McCormick..While not adjustable, they are easy drop ins, and reliable...Good triggers for the money..
2) There are several types of slings for an AR..Single Point and Two Point...I use a Two Point that, due to using the bipod at the front attachment, wraps around the forearm, just in front of the magazine well..Can't see it too well in the photo..My sling allows me to position the rifle in several ways, depending on the carry need and use..
DPMSAR.jpg

3) You can obtain a front sling attachment button
ShortARs-1.jpg
at Brownells and it just requires drilling a hole in the lower half of the stock forearm piece..

When I put the Nikon 4-14 on my Sendero I was on my way to the range I use at my dads place when I saw a coyote milling around in a meadow. I didn't stop and take hi out due to not thinking the scope would even be in the ball park. I got to the range and fired one shot and was dead center 1" low. I moved back to 100 yards and it was 1" high, 3/4" right of center before a single adjustment was made. That's about as lucky as I have gotten...

Thanks OT... did browse the AR forum here a little last night and found reference to the "15 Minute AR Trigger Fix" and a few references to drop ins. Did a little searching on the net, and at time of this post, Midway has the Timney on sale through end of the month, and affords a pretty good savings on that.

However... Post on another forum lead me to www.elitetacticalcomponents.com where the Timney, which they no longer carry, WAS on sale, and where they have a heck of a deal on a Chip McCormick Match trigger or two at present, suggesting they may be about to quit carrying that line too!

http://www.elitetacticalcomponents.com/91503
http://www.elitetacticalcomponents.com/cmc91501

Also found a sling like you have there, which may be the most affordable and simplest route to go.

Originally Posted By: MPFDWhen I put the Nikon 4-14 on my Sendero I was on my way to the range I use at my dads place when I saw a coyote milling around in a meadow. I didn't stop and take hi out due to not thinking the scope would even be in the ball park. I got to the range and fired one shot and was dead center 1" low. I moved back to 100 yards and it was 1" high, 3/4" right of center before a single adjustment was made. That's about as lucky as I have gotten...

Yeah, this one blew me away! I've had that shop bore sight guns for me, on more than one occasion, and not have them be anywhere near that close. Figured this one would be seriously off with the combination of riser on the flat top, and mounts, so this one really surprised me.

OT, I assume you're using the sling attachment button to mount your bipod? Has that given you any problems folding the bipod out with the spring pressure it excerts?

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Thanks OT... did browse the AR forum here a little last night and found reference to the "15 Minute AR Trigger Fix" and a few references to drop ins. Did a little searching on the net, and at time of this post, Midway has the Timney on sale through end of the month, and affords a pretty good savings on that.

The Timney's are a really good trigger, we sell quite a few of them.

Timney AR-15 Trigger:

$194.95- 5% discount with coupon code "PM" for a total of $185.20 with free shipping
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Well that puts you right in line with Midway's sale price!
grin.gif

I'll get over there and shop around on Joe Bob's before I start buying, don't worry!

Welcome to the sickness. You will like it here.

Some guys don't like them (mainly guys who like high end triggers), but I tell ya the RRA NM trigger is a nice 2 stage trigger for about half the Chip Mick.

Joe Bob's has them too:
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/RRA_Two_Stage_Match_Trigger_Kit_AR0093NMK_p/rra-ar0093nmk.htm

In my opinion that's quite enough for a truck rifle and it will get you sub MOA if the rest of your rig will. I have two and like them quite a bit.

I'd ditch that handguard and get a Hogue or some other simple free float tube.

Cheap sling studs can be mounted to the Hogue easily.

Good luck.

Sendit

Now that is getting down there in the real sweet range on price.

Any idea what trigger pull is on those sendit? All the others are running down to 3 - 3 1/2 lbs. The fifteen minute trigger job, if it reduces pull 25% on 7 lb trigger pull, which is about what DPMS specs says, would put you at 4 1/2 lbs. roughly.

Ad says RRA 2 stage trigger can be used with the JP Reduced Power Springs. And, that link is broke on the site, goes to - file not found - Joe Bob.

Have you tried the lighter springs on them, or would you recommend that?

Uhmmmm, yes... the hand guard and stock have both got to go! Would like the adjustable butt stock, IF there is any place that isn't sold out of the less expensive models. Everything I'm finding is $120 and up for a 6 position adjustable. All of the $54 models are out of stock. And, I need something with a tactical rail or two up front for flashlight.

Adjustable buttstock kit, $49.95 in stock. Spend another $1 get free shipping right now until Saturday...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-classic-premium-m4-stock-kit-black.html

You can also check with Brian at USA gold for the RRA two stage trigger. I usually buy stuff through JoeBob's, but Brian was able to get me the trigger for much cheaper then Joebob's current price (I bought the entire LPK with trigger)...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_125/99092...Parts_Kits.html

I did install mine with the reduced pull yellow JP trigger springs. Have yet had a chance to try it out.

Last edited:
Rocky1 thats a great little rifle that will suprise you with the groups it will do. I found on mine that the "15 minute" trigger job and a set of jp yellow springs made for the best hunting trigger pull.

The 2-3lb triggers were great on the bench but a bit light for hunting. good luck and enjoy that little bull barrel. blue

I've heard good things about it blue... Gentleman that was running the local gun shop told me he'd sold a few of these with the bull barrel and the guys were telling him they were unbelieveably accurate!

Appreciate the input on the trigger too... and that does make sense. If you lighten it 25% on the trigger job and lighten it another 15 - 20% on JP Springs you should be getting down there on high end of the $200 trigger range of 3.5 lbs.

I guess one could start there, and if it doesn't lighten it up enough, then work my way up. Worst case scenario, I'm out one cut and bent spring.

Also found a DPMS Adjustable Stock, New, Complete Kit for $60, so I can keep it OEM at an affordable price.

Likewise, found several QuadRail Systems at affordable prices on E-Bay.

Rocky1, Not knocking any other triggers, or related modifications, but having had a bunch of experience shooting in action competitions, I've seen some negative experiences with supposedly good modifications...

That's one of the reasons that I tend to go with drop in upgrades, rather than re-working my own...I still have one that is a RR two stage with the JP springs and haven't shot it enough lately to push me into making a change on it...

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: Rocky1Thanks OT... did browse the AR forum here a little last night and found reference to the "15 Minute AR Trigger Fix" and a few references to drop ins. Did a little searching on the net, and at time of this post, Midway has the Timney on sale through end of the month, and affords a pretty good savings on that.

Timney AR-15 Trigger:

$194.95- 5% discount with coupon code "PM" for a total of $185.20 with free shipping
thumbup1.gif

Can I get this extra 5% discount on a phone order?

Originally Posted By: JimmyVOriginally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: Rocky1Thanks OT... did browse the AR forum here a little last night and found reference to the "15 Minute AR Trigger Fix" and a few references to drop ins. Did a little searching on the net, and at time of this post, Midway has the Timney on sale through end of the month, and affords a pretty good savings on that.

Timney AR-15 Trigger:

thumbup1.gif

Can I get this extra 5% discount on a phone order?

We PREFER online orders (and it automatically discounts things) as it helps streamlines things but you can call Mon-Fri 9-6PM and you can get it if you mention the Predator Masters discount, yes.

Understood OT... Last time I played with an AR was back in '79, just before I got out of the Air Force, but what little GI Bill Carter left me, went toward a course on gunsmithing. I've had fair luck tweaking a trigger or two in my day. Can't say it's worked every time, had one or two go south, and gain a pound or two after polishing, but they usually come around after a little use, and get sweeter than they were before. But I've had one or two that just didn't get any better.

If it doesn't work, I'm out $5 for the JP Spring kit, and then I buy a drop in. If it works, well... it works.

E-Bayed a new quadrail to replace the handguard, two point sling, and a Tactical Tools Wonder Amorers Wrench.

Hit GunBroker and found a New Complete DPMS adjustable butt stock with buffer, spring, the whole nine yards, for $59.99 + $11 shipping from http://westsaharaguns.com.

It'll be coyote ugly directly!

I bought the JP spring kit for my S&W M&P-15. Waste of time. Went with a Timney 3lb and groups shrunk, alot.

I've seen Chip McCormick triggers for $165. I have never owned one, but just got a new to me 14.5" CMMG middy that needs either a Timney or CMC trigger in the future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stealth1959I bought the JP spring kit for my S&W M&P-15. Waste of time. Went with a Timney 3lb and groups shrunk, alot.

I've seen Chip McCormick triggers for $165. I have never owned one, but just got a new to me 14.5" CMMG middy that needs either a Timney or CMC trigger in the future.

The JP Springs reduce weight, but don't change pretravel, reset, or overall dimensions of the trigger. They HELP, but they aren't magical by any means. A Trigger Adjuster can help any factory trigger, however.

I REALLY like my Timney I just installed in my latest build (My first drop-in single stage trigger).

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Any idea what trigger pull is on those sendit? All the others are running down to 3 - 3 1/2 lbs.

It breaks at 3.75 lbs as measured by a RCBS trigger scale. I tested it 5 times and all were right there.

I use mine hunting all the time and believe it is not too light for hunting. It works for me anyway.

And I agree with OT and wouldn't spend my time on the DIY trigger job. But to each his own.

Sendit

Back