44 mag vs 357 mag

Originally Posted By: Means5104Been keeping up with this thread. I have a question as far as between the two. Which would you recommend for game in size from fox, coyote, hog, deer? In the market for a new rifle, love levers. Hunting will be in very thick brush and woods, hardly any open ground more than 35-40 yards. Called in a few coyote and fox seen more than a few deer. Hog would just be a possibility as they are moving into my area little by little. I know there are better suited guns, but a lever is what I am wanting, and a 30-30 would turn a fox and coyote into pink mist. So I figured a pistol cal. would be better. Suggestions?

Pretty dang big range going from a 15lb fox up to a 200lb deer or hog. Personally, with the deer and hogs in the mix, I'd be looking at the .44mag. Sure, the .357mag will do the job, but as the rest of this thread has pointed out, you're looking at apples and oranges comparing the .357mag and .44mag. Way more stopping power in the big .44mag. A lighter load out of the .44mag would be reasonable on coyotes and tiny fox, maybe some .44spl's instead even. A 200grn lead hardcast trucking 1600fps or so out of the rifle would likely leave a 44cal entry and exit hole on a 15lb fox.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: Means5104Been keeping up with this thread. I have a question as far as between the two. Which would you recommend for game in size from fox, coyote, hog, deer? In the market for a new rifle, love levers. Hunting will be in very thick brush and woods, hardly any open ground more than 35-40 yards. Called in a few coyote and fox seen more than a few deer. Hog would just be a possibility as they are moving into my area little by little. I know there are better suited guns, but a lever is what I am wanting, and a 30-30 would turn a fox and coyote into pink mist. So I figured a pistol cal. would be better. Suggestions?

Pretty dang big range going from a 15lb fox up to a 200lb deer or hog. Personally, with the deer and hogs in the mix, I'd be looking at the .44mag. Sure, the .357mag will do the job, but as the rest of this thread has pointed out, you're looking at apples and oranges comparing the .357mag and .44mag. Way more stopping power in the big .44mag. A lighter load out of the .44mag would be reasonable on coyotes and tiny fox, maybe some .44spl's instead even. A 200grn lead hardcast trucking 1600fps or so out of the rifle would likely leave a 44cal entry and exit hole on a 15lb fox.

Have to agree. The "old standby" loads for .44 have kind of a reputation for penetration beyond what ballistics calculations would suggest. Without expansion minded bullets, the .44 absolutely drills for some reason (240gr has something to do with that.). So on a fox i doubt the bullet would have time to even mushroom. On a hog, it will unload all its energy and still slobber knock anything hog/deer or smaller.

Common anecdotal consensus seems to be "big heavy bullets go through the brush better than smaller bullets.". Makes sense to me, though ive never seen an accurate test of it.

I don't reload, but a fur friendly 30-30 round would be a possibility. Are there any factory loads for the 30-30 that would be recommended?

I bought two Ruger revolvers one in .357 and one in .44. I sold the .357 cause I just liked the power of the larger revolver. Plus, I reload so the cost issue for ammo was not a big consideration.

Hard to beat the .44 mag.
I have both, have used both. Have rifles, in both.
.357 mag is substantial.
.44 mag is final.

If it was in a rifle/carbine, I would not recommend a .357 mag if that is all you are working with. They are nice, fun, accurate and powerful. But they lack punch at distance.

Been looking at a .45 Long Colt Ruger Blackhawk, but can't justify the additional caliber when the .44 does what is required with authority.

I would like to pick up a .44 mag Bisley Blackhawk with 7 1/2" barrel though. And another .44 mag lever gun, probably a Marlin 1894 Cowboy...or maybe a carbine.

.44 mag would be my choice without a doubt.

re

Last edited:
Back