Quickload question for 300WSM

DynamicAVP

Can someone help me out. I have been reloading for a couple years and I make no claims to be any where near an expert.

I reloaded for my 300WSM, a Winchester M70, Hornady 180grain SST, Federal Brass, 66 grains of RE-17, CCI200 primer, COAL of 2.262 which should be about .003" of the lands.

The end result was a .303" group at 3086fps average. Is this a safe load? I am more about accuracy than speed.

Yes I did start at a lower charge and worked up. I dont think I see any obvious signs of over-pressure.

I am interested in what people "who know", or have the ability to tell me if this load is safe to use.

Thanks for all the help.

No experience with that particular load. I use a similar charge of IMR 4350 for 150 gr bullets. Your velocity matches some factory load data. If you aren't seeing pressure signs and such, should be ok.

According to Alliant, that is the MAX load, and you are 20-ish FPS faster than listed max load.

So you are there.

Thanks for the responses. I was in a hurry to get a load so after I got that great load, which happened to be my last test load, I went home and made 10 more for my hunt this weekend. I am a little skeptical of the load, so i will work backwards in .2 grains until I get a good group and not so much at MAX. I tested those loads in about 85 degree weather, its not unusual to hunt in 90+ heat here in Idaho so I'ld lake to have a little more head room.

On a side note I e-mailed Allaint and they stated the load should be OK but I still plan on backing it off a little if I can keep that great accuracy.

Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted By: DynamicAVP
I reloaded for my 300WSM, a Winchester M70, Hornady 180grain SST, Federal Brass, 66 grains of RE-17, CCI200 primer, COAL of 2.262 which should be about .003" of the lands.

I think you've provided a comparator length on that OAL figure. If you'll post a valid OAL I can run QL for you.

If you can provide the water capacity of your cases, that would be helpful too. Determine that by weighing a fired case, and then filling it full of water and weighing it again. The difference will be your water capacity in grains.

Originally Posted By: DynamicAVPCan someone help me out. I have been reloading for a couple years and I make no claims to be any where near an expert.

The end result was a .303" group at 3086fps average. Is this a safe load? I am more about accuracy than speed.

Yes I did start at a lower charge and worked up. I dont think I see any obvious signs of over-pressure.

I am interested in what people "who know", or have the ability to tell me if this load is safe to use.

Thanks for all the help.

When I put your data into QL, you are about 10,000psi over max. Your COAL is wrong, but even when I correct it to what Hornady lists for the 180gr SST [2.840] you are still over pressure.

If your gun likes it then keep on keeping on, but be advised, you are THERE.

Riverrider;

You are right, that O.A.L. is from a comparator. I will verify length tonight and let you know what it is.

Smokeless;

I am not questioning your number or expertise, but I was wondering what PSI you came up with. I had another reply from a different forum (longrangehinting.com)respond and he stated I was at 71,000psi, 6,000 psi over not 10,000psi over.

Another question I was wondering was when would my load be safe? Meaning at 65grains my group was .9+ish", if I dropped back in .2grain increments to say 65.4 or 65.6 and my groups opened to .5", which would be satisfactory but no .303", would I be back into SAMMI spec or still too high? I hope that question made sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DynamicAVPRiverrider;

You are right, that O.A.L. is from a comparator. I will verify length tonight and let you know what it is.

Smokeless;

I am not questioning your number or expertise, but I was wondering what PSI you came up with. I had another reply from a different forum (longrangehinting.com)respond and he stated I was at 71,000psi, 6,000 psi over not 10,000psi over.

Another question I was wondering was when would my load be safe? Meaning at 65grains my group was .9+ish", if I dropped back in .2grain increments to say 65.4 or 65.6 and my groups opened to .5", which would be satisfactory but no .303", would I be back into SAMMI spec or still too high? I hope that question made sense.

Not quite 10,000 psi, but more like 8883psi over.

63817psi is max, my numbers show your load generically at 72700psi.

You need very precise measurements and quantities to in put to QL. Over the internet is difficult at best for this. That is why very few with QL will run anything for you. I will sometimes run a "generic" run, but it really means nothing to the end user if all the parameters are not absolutely as correct as possible.

Bottom line is read the sign from your gun. It will tell you what is max and what is not. Programs like QL give a shooter a good starting point for a load, but not much else.

If your gun shoots your load well then keep on, but that does not mean that load will work well in my rifle, nor does it mean that it is "within" the book. You are all custom to your rifle at this point. Pay attention to the sign your rifle gives you, and be safe out there.

Riverrider;

My overall length from base to tip w/o the comparator ir 2.887".

I really do appreciate all the replies and help everyone has given me. Thank you all and if I can figure it out I will post the picture from the deer I will kill this weekend.

Back