300 Blackout. Legit hunting uses?

ID Dog Chaser

Looking at putting together a 300 BO but am unsure of the practical hunting uses. Also have considered a 6.8, but the versitility and ease of switch over makes me lean towards the 300. What is your guys' thoughts. Has anyone harvested anything of any size with thier 300? I have heard of a guy taking a bear here in Idaho with his 6.8. Any input would be great.

I never considered the 300 once I saw that ARPerformance dropped them due to accuracy problems.

A lot of guys use the 6.8 for hogs, and there are no accuracy issues.

Sendit

Here is mine. DTECH built it. It's a fireball, whisper WTFever. It's very accurate.

15f7898d.jpg

Originally Posted By: sendit223I never considered the 300 once I saw that ARPerformance dropped them due to accuracy problems.

A lot of guys use the 6.8 for hogs, and there are no accuracy issues.

Sendit

There are ALOT of manufacturers making 300BLK's. Many-times, it depends on the type of rifling, quality of barrel, etc that causes accuracy issues. The 300BLK isn't inherently INACCURATE, however, when you shoot a subsonic load it will inherently have more variation in accuracy due to the fact you are trying to burn up as much powder inside the barrel as possible, which can lead to some variation as the bullet leaves the barrel, IMO. With that said, if you're shooting supersonics it shouldn't be any more or less accurate than any other caliber. It wasn't designed to be a long range round, but it was designed around the AR platform to work well super or subsonic.

You might look at the Remington rifles being made in 300BLK, or Noveske, or AAC, or Daniel Defense, or CMMG, or.......

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It was mentioned that rifling, etc. makes a big difference. What if any set ups have been identified as optimum. I would like to throw a can on it in the future, but not initially. Also, from what I have read, the 300 bo is definitly a 200yrd or less round. Is that realistic in regards to energy delivered on target? Thanks again!

You can drive a 125 grain NBT fast enough to kill a deer. You can also shoot stuff with the subsonic rounds but why bother without a can. It is a pretty versatile round. Not the ultimate round, but fun.

I forgot, it works on coyotes too.
photo-3.jpg

Last edited:
The 300blk really shines shooting the 220gr subs in a suppressed SBR. I don't think I've shot my 5.56 or 308 AR since I got my 10.5" Noveske put together. For optics, I put an EoTech XPS 2-2. With the lower dot, I can hit minute of pie plate at 300 yards, even with the 220's. I shoot 110's for plinking and ground squirrels, 150's for the small whitetails we have up North and 220's for shooting VERY quitely. It'll be the first rifle out of the truck for coyote and wolf hunting this fall.

Obviously, this is a niche caliber and if it fits what you want to do with it, then it's a ton of fun to shoot.

Originally Posted By: orrbull48Mine ought to be done from dtech any day. Went with a 10.5" sbr shooting 220's sub. Dedicated close quarter hog gun

Try 8.6 grains of N110 with the 2.20s I get sub moa with my DTECH 10.5 with a Thunderbeast suppressor. About 1020 fps.

Or 8.0 grains N110 with 208 grain Amaxes. Both of these shoot to the poi in mine.

Originally Posted By: RetooferabOriginally Posted By: orrbull48Mine ought to be done from dtech any day. Went with a 10.5" sbr shooting 220's sub. Dedicated close quarter hog gun

Try 8.6 grains of N110 with the 2.20s I get sub moa with my DTECH 10.5 with a Thunderbeast suppressor. About 1020 fps.

Or 8.0 grains N110 with 208 grain Amaxes. Both of these shoot to the poi in mine.

which thunderbeast you get? I put in for a 30-ba, already have the AAC 762-sdn-6 but wanted a precision can, i hear great things about TB

Very nice! All of your comments have me leaning that way. I wouldn't be able to aford a can for a bit, but it would definitly be in the future. Not finding many field stories of kills, how would you all feel about shooting deer, wolf, or bear under 200 yrds? I have plenty of distance weapons, but wouldn't mind trying this in the timber. I would most likely be mounting a 1-4 poweer optic on it. Thanks for all the info. Please keep it coming.

Back