Pro's and Con's of Curs???

Ursus21

I've been reading everything I can about coyote decoy dogs for a couple years. I've narrowed down my choices to either a Mountain View Cur or a Black Mouth Cur. I like the conformation on the Black Mouths (big chested, well muscled dogs). However I also like the slightly smaller size of the Mountain View Curs. It also appears the Mountain View Cur may be a little more family friendly although it sounds like the Black Mouth's make good family dogs as well.

For those of you with experience with either of these Cur breeds what are the pro's and con's to either breed? I just want a decoy dog, not necessarily a catch dog. If it can trail and find wounded coyotes/deer that would be a plus, but not the main focus.

from what i found are that they can do just about anything. but you got to realize they need to be hunted. if you are able to hunt them enough then im sure you can train a cur to do anything you want.

Do not think you can go wrong either way. Mine is a mt. Cur.
9385E307-A525-4314-ABA8-08B64A9B7026-14816-00000F24964605F0.jpg

jglynn, I think if you check my history (posts), I think you'll realize that getting the dog out and hunting enough won't be an issue.
smile.gif

i was just stating the needs for curs in general, not how much you actually hunt.

had a few curs we used for cattle and when they didnt get used every day they would tear everything up around the place just out of pure boredom i guess.

ive seen too many guys get curs and other hunting bred dogs and want to take them out once a week. then wonder why they are outa control for the first hour. i think they just had too much built up steam.

Needless to say, I like Curs. I wasn't overly impressed with the couple of mountain curs that I had, but that could of just been the dogs or the breeding. Everything I currently own, with the exception of my bulldog Mattie, is a cross breed dog, so I can't speak of purebred BMC's compared to Mt Curs.

Tony

Troy,

All I have experience with is the mountain curs. You know how I use them...for everything. Mine are on the lighter end(45 lbs) and I like that, they can flat move and can compete with the way a coyote moves, or a nasty cow for that matter. I have never played my dogs out even on the 40 mile rides I put on gathering cattle. And at that size the are travel friendly in a truck(for me). I may be having a breeding coming up this fall if it works out we will see. Give me a call sometime I will be in after dark.

jglynn, I hope you didn't think I meant any disrespect for your post. I was just tyring to point out that hunting "a lot" is not an issue for me.

Lucas good to hear from you. I'll give you a call some evening. We need to get caught up anydangway.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21jglynn, I hope you didn't think I meant any disrespect for your post.

Ursus

You shouldn't have to explain yourself ... you are a well-seasoned coyote hunter!
wink.gif

Any cur or cross is gonna be just fine if it is trained properly. There is way to much put on breed, and way to little put on the trainer if ya ask me.
As for grit, hunt drive, and nose, there are a bunch of dogs out their, way better than the handler, also a bunch of dogs that are family freindly.Has more to do with the handler, than the breeding.Just my thoughts.

Do BMC's like to bark on track? My brother has a 8 month old pure BMC, and it is showing signs of being very vocal. I was under the impression they were more of a silent tracker.

What makes ya say it is "vocal". Many curs will bark in the yard when playing,but trail silent.At 8 months old, is it baying on a track? If so is it for sale???

He is very vocal around the house and hunting camp. Barks at every leaf that moves. When he sees deer and hogs from a distance he just lights up barking even though he is a couple hundred yards away. He hasn't been on a hot track by himself yet, as my dog is usually out ahead of him baying or catching.

I was under the impression they were more of sight barkers not track barkers?

You may be right. I have never hunted with Curs that bark at sight. From my experience the Curs I have been around will only bark when bayed. Time will tell, but it is good to hear that Curs don't typically bark on track.

Some of my BMC crosses will bark when in hot pursuit and are close. Most are silent. I do have 3 BMC/Blue Lacy crosses pups that bark and growl at the first sight of a coyote coming in. Now....the two Mt Curs would bark on track, bark on chain, bark in kennel, bark CONTINUOUSLY!
smile.gif

Tony

I think it has more to do with the dog than the breed. I had a Vizsla that would bark at anything and everything unless we were hunting (go figure).

My new pup (KMC) doesn't bark that much unless I walk away and leave her in the kennel or the neighbors kid comes over to the fence to pet her then she barks and whines (need to tell her to leave my dog alone).

I do have a bark collar that I haven't bother to put on her yet (might do it if the neighbor kid won't leave her alone) but in general she's been pretty good so far.

Back