.223 load for 50 gr V-max + Varget

jake556

I recently came into a bunch of 50 gr V-max and I have a ton of Varget on hand.

I have loaded a bunch of 55gr V-max with Varget and have had phenomenal results.

My Hornady manual doesn't give and data for this combination.

My Lyman manual doesn't give and data for this combination.

My Sierra manual gives 25.2 to 26.8 max for the BlitKing under their "Bolt Action" section of .223.

Does anyone have any info in their manuals for this combination or experience with it?

Or is it just better to not use 50gr V-max + Varget? I appreciate the info.

Last edited:
My most favorite loads for my three .223 rifles has been 26 grains of Varget with either the Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Vmax 50 grain bullet. I like the CCI BR primer but it is not all that necessary as it seems any small rifle cap works pretty well.

I have taken many hundred ground squirrel and praire dog with this combo. I have shot many 5 shot ragged hole 100 yard groups too. The very first time that I shot my AR-15 with this load all 5 shots could be covered with a dime. Then I let a friend try it and he did the same thing.

Some might tell you that Varget is too slow for the 50 grain bullet but I say bullhocky. It works so well for me that I never even load anything else anymore. I'm sold big time.

Originally Posted By: RustydustMy most favorite loads for my three .223 rifles has been 26 grains of Varget with either the Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Vmax 50 grain bullet. I like the CCI BR primer but it is not all that necessary as it seems any small rifle cap works pretty well.

I have taken many hundred ground squirrel and praire dog with this combo. I have shot many 5 shot ragged hole 100 yard groups too. The very first time that I shot my AR-15 with this load all 5 shots could be covered with a dime. Then I let a friend try it and he did the same thing.

Some might tell you that Varget is too slow for the 50 grain bullet but I say bullhocky. It works so well for me that I never even load anything else anymore. I'm sold big time.

Exactly what I wanted to hear hahaha. Even the 55gr V-max loads catch [beeep]. But I haven't found a powder as accurate as Varget. I am very open minded and am willing to try something new I just haven't had a reason to yet.

Last edited:
Also shot some great groups with 26 grs of Varget and a 50 gr bullet. I switched to Benchmark for more velocity, but Varget was VERY accurate.

25 gr Varget and the 50 gr VMax works for me. Yotes and P Dogs can't tell the difference between Varget or another brand. They just pass away.

Tom

I shoot 40 grain Nosler BT with varget also. The case is full to the top, cram the bullet on top and make them hum.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RustydustMy most favorite loads for my three .223 rifles has been 26 grains of Varget with either the Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Vmax 50 grain bullet. I like the CCI BR primer but it is not all that necessary as it seems any small rifle cap works pretty well.

There is some good advice there.

Looked like my local sportsman's warehouse had a run on varget and IMR 4895 today... gotta get some of that varget....never tried it..but that's all I hear... must be good stuff.

Have dun very well with 26 grs. varget & 50 gr Sierra BKs.
Would expect good results with v-max too.
Have good loads for .243, .308, 7/08 & even 30/30 with varget as well. Trying to use same powder for all my shooting & Varget is getting it dun..........

Last edited:

I just loaded up 5 rounds with mentioned load except I used wsr primers and from 100yds my spikes 1/7 got a 1.150" group with 4 of the rounds and had 1 oddball that was off about 1/2". This is a safe load from lyman 48th and is not a max load, my oal was 2.240. I made a note of this inside my manual for if I ever drop down from the 55's. Thanks Rusty

Accurate 2460 and and 50g V-Max work good for me w/Benchmark close behind.
I burned through 2 lbs of Varget using it in .223 Rem and .243 Win. with a variety of bullet weights and just wasn`t all that impressed with any of the results. Then I tried Varget in .308 Win and decided it worked pretty well for me there..and it IS versatile..so I bought a 8 Lb jug.
I will have to give it a try in the .223 Rem again.

Back