44 mag vs 357 mag

Quote:Ive already decided on a rifle chambered in either 357 mag or 44 mag. ....If we can get back to the original statement (nothinig said about handguns, or any other caliber), I'd have to say that while never having shot a .357 mag rifle, but I do have a little experience with the rifle in the .44 mag caliber, there is not really any comparison between the rifle recoil and that of a handgun except that it does exist in both...I can shoot the rifle all day without a negative effect of the recoil compared to the handgun...(strange how these topics can get sidetracked)

I have a s&w 586 in 357m, and a Winchester 94 in 44,

I like both for pumpkin killing. Be hard to go wrong with either of the 2...I don't find the recoil of the 44 bad at all but everyone has different thresholds of what they will tolerate. I'd probably go 357 if I were you just to be safe.

In spite of the muscle flexing over who can shoot bigger, etc., any of the mentioned pistol cartridges in a modern lever action carbine, coupled with a good bullet choice, will get the job done nicely when it comes to killing a deer within reasonable ranges. But with any of the cartridges you have to know its limitations and yours too in terms of distance.

Specific shot placement and not "power" defined by bore diameter determines what drops in its tracks and what runs for awhile from a pistol cartridge. Any pistol cartridge in a rifle is still not a "DRT thumper" unless vital nerves are hit, and they all lack real "power", even in comparison to the old 30-30.

For a lady, a 357 would probably be the obvious choice. If she can handle slightly more recoil, a 44 Mag or 45 Colt would be excellent choices also. They are a little bit hard to find today, but a 41 Rem Mag in a Marlin 94 would be a good choice also. Recoil of the 41 Mag is about like a 45 Colt, which is my personal favorite in both a hand gun and in a modern lever action rifle. But me liking the 45 Colt, or whatever, doesn't make it the hands down favorite that every one else should buy, man or woman, simply because in my mind it might make me seem to be more macho and tough on an internet forum. Which in real face-to-face life is silly and totally irrelevant anyway.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle I do have a little experience with the rifle in the .44 mag caliber,...I can shoot the rifle all day without a negative effect of the recoil compared to the handgun

I agree. The 44 mag in a rifle is a pussycat. Easy choice over the 357 considering she already has quite a bit of shooting experience. I'd still take the 45Colt though, just because of the wide velocity/ power range available. Last time I looked it up, I found loaded ammo varying from like 800 -1600 fps. That is really hard to beat IMO......

Originally Posted By: YoteAddictionI would guess at least 70% of the deer we have shot (and unfortunately also the deer we only shot at) were inside of fifty yards. Ill tell you what too, hunting is a whole different thing when the deer is so close you can see its hair ripple over top its muscles and count the snot droplets flying through the air as a 20 gauge sabot slams into it, makes the whole thing a lot more personal.

This is completely off topic, but based on this statement your really need to get into archery. Archery is more personal than anything with any gun (I have shot multiple deer from 15-30 yards with a gun so it isn't just the distance). Also the seasons tend to be longer which means more time in the woods.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760A matched set of 44s or 45 colts has always been a dream of mine. I just think it would be cool.

I like a matched set of 38's, unless the she "rifle" is fairly tall.
blushing.gif
Then bigger might be better.

Matched sets of any of the mentioned cartridges in a single action wheel gun and a modern lever action carbine are well worth owning and are a lot of fun. In keeping with my personal likes for 38's that I mentioned above, I also own a matched set of those in a custom built single action revolver (38 Special only chambers) and 38 Specials in a 357 Model 92 replica. 38 Special is all I shoot in this one particular rifle. I call both of the the weapons Jennifer.

Still, to get back on topic, I think that any of the before mentioned pistol cartridges, with the exception of the 38 Special that I brought up, will work great in a rifle for what the OP asked about.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760A matched set of 44s or 45 colts has always been a dream of mine. I just think it would be cool.

Something like this pair of SS Ruger 44's and a Marlin 44

2012-07-16_18-48-20_834.jpg

Marlin 1894 .44 mag!!!

A 5min peek through a reloading manual with rifle loads for both will have you convinced. Of memory serves, the .44mag rifle has as much energy at 100 yards (or farther, but I don't want to lie to ya) as a .357 rifle has at the muzzle. Both will work, but the 44 will give youore punch at any range, and a lot more effective range overall.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorMarlin 1894 .44 mag!!!

A 5min peek through a reloading manual with rifle loads for both will have you convinced. Of memory serves, the .44mag rifle has as much energy at 100 yards (or farther, but I don't want to lie to ya) as a .357 rifle has at the muzzle. Both will work, but the 44 will give youore punch at any range, and a lot more effective range overall.

This was basically what I wanted said in this thread.

The power range you can have with .44 mag is amazing. The .357 peters out about 1/2 to 2/3 the way up the scale of .44 magnum. (not scientific numbers, but you get the idea.) You can make the .44 magnum (or more likely .44 special as most lever guns will shoot either casing) a [beeep] cat, even softer than a .45 acp load. Out of a rifle, I compare my Marlin '94 in .44 to a .22 LR when I'm using my lightest .44 mag or .44 special loads with lighter weight bullets.

But on the flip side, between hot .357 and .44 magnum there is no comparison.

Then again, if you don't reload, most of the above is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rich44Originally Posted By: pahntr760A matched set of 44s or 45 colts has always been a dream of mine. I just think it would be cool.

Something like this pair of SS Ruger 44's and a Marlin 44

2012-07-16_18-48-20_834.jpg

Exactly!

I keep a matched set of Ruger Vaquero .44mags along side a couple Marlin 1894''s in 44mag too, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk, a Super Redhawk, a Taurus Raging Bull, and a Super Redhawk Alaskan, all in .44mag.

If it's not apparent, I LOVE the .44mag!

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorI keep a matched set of Ruger Vaquero .44mags along side a couple Marlin 1894''s in 44mag too, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk, a Super Redhawk, a Taurus Raging Bull, and a Super Redhawk Alaskan, all in .44mag.

What, not a single Model 29? Why, that's blasphemy!

No .44 mag collection is complete without the gun that started it all off! Now get busy and find you one. Hurry up!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorI keep a matched set of Ruger Vaquero .44mags along side a couple Marlin 1894''s in 44mag too, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk, a Super Redhawk, a Taurus Raging Bull, and a Super Redhawk Alaskan, all in .44mag.

What, not a single Model 29? Why, that's blasphemy!

No .44 mag collection is complete without the gun that started it all off! Now get busy and find you one. Hurry up!
wink.gif

Admittedly, I DID have a 629 for a while, just wasn't in love with it. Have been kicking myself for some time now for selling it, but I got more out of it than I paid for it, so I can't complain much. I've had other "toys" on the list ahead of brining an S&W back into the fold, so it'll just have to wait for a little while longer!

And of course, if you can't already tell, I got a soft spot for Rugers!

I shot cowboy action for a few years.If you go to a match every weekend and practice during the week the .357 is quite a bit cheaper.I shot .45 colt because I liked to hear the steel ring not ding,but it just costs more.If you ain't going to shoot much cost won't be that much different.If you want to shoot quite a bit and have some time you can cast your own .38's and load your own and shoot a lot for not much money.Ideally,you could have the 38/357 for shooting and get a marlin 30/30 to deer hunt.Sometimes you can pick up a used marlin when the Christmas bills hit pretty cheap.Seems like a lot of people get the deer fever and get a 30/30 and are over it in Feb.She won't feel the rifle kick when she is looking at a deer.

Here is my pair of 44s.

P1020673.jpg

I also just got a Ruger SP 101 4.2" 357, and I loaded up a bunch of hot Hornady 125gr XTPs, it is kind of a fun shooter as well.....

I shoot a lot of guns some starting at 4 and some at 5
However when I just want to have FUN I grab my 357 levergun and go play. With the 140 gr leverevolution bullets I load I would not feel undergunned for deer or antelope.

Been keeping up with this thread. I have a question as far as between the two. Which would you recommend for game in size from fox, coyote, hog, deer? In the market for a new rifle, love levers. Hunting will be in very thick brush and woods, hardly any open ground more than 35-40 yards. Called in a few coyote and fox seen more than a few deer. Hog would just be a possibility as they are moving into my area little by little. I know there are better suited guns, but a lever is what I am wanting, and a 30-30 would turn a fox and coyote into pink mist. So I figured a pistol cal. would be better. Suggestions?

Back