The actual Decoy dog training of a dog. + dog containment for home.

Not that hard on me, just the same thing over and over and over, a guy can use whatever info he finds anywhere ,anyway he see's fit, or not at all, his choice.
I maybe should have worded it diff.

Not sure the issue here, but here is an update.

Havoc is doing great and I appreciate the tips. Unfortunately, chaining a dog up in this city is a trip to the court. Not to mention I live about 1/2 mile on the same road from the city animal control "shelter" which leaves my containment methods open for public view of the people that enforce it. he did manage one more dramatic escape from the old kennel. After we fixed the chainlink wire, I re-enforced the chainlink with a weave of 1/4" galvanized wire rope that I use for antenna tie down cable. We weaved the whole door frame, and then went over the top with rebar ties on each link to the frame. He couldn't bust that, so instead, he bit into the chainlink and cable and pulled the door at the bottom until he bent the door latch. So now, one side of the door latch is about 90 degrees from the other side. I wouldn't have believed it but the door was open the next morning.

As Trapper 2 said, we chose to go with the welded wire kennel with wire on top and bottom of the pen. He stays in there at night and during the day he is with me and in the other dog run which my other dogs stay in. My oldest dog (zach)has let havoc know he is in charge and during the day havoc is not a problem and doesn't try to get out. If he starts testing the fence, zach lets him know to find something else to do with a quick bark. We have watched over several days and he has not challenged again.

With the new kennel, we have taken extra precautions and made a 3 point door lock with category 2 tractor pins at center, top and bottom. He has tried to get out, but can't. Houdini has been beat.. lol Sleep much better at night now and he is even more happy to see me in the morning. As time goes on, i will just let him stay in the other dog pen, but taking my time right now. Taking him in the house isn't an option.

I have started taking him out back and using the live traps for nuisance critters and also have done a good bit of scent trailing with both coyote and bobcat scents. I leave him in the pen where he can't see me and then. I will drag it around through the tall grass and leave the drag at the far end and after a few days he is going 9-10 times right down the path I took with the scent and finds the drag. He also "Finds" every rabbit hole in the field.

Thanks for all the help and info on the subject. I never claimed to know anything, but learned a lot. Even if some think they weren't helpful.

I have never had the pleasure of having "pets", "family dogs" or any hunting dogs in my life time until I was fortunate enough to get Doc from Btech. Doc was a very docile and well mannered dog. Never an issue trying to get out of the yard but Havoc is a good bit more challenging. Although, he is not any trouble now that we have a routine that keeps him (and me) tired. He also learns the obedience commands and motions better after good long exercise and once the exercise and training routine for the day are done, he gets fed and praised. He is responding much better that way.

be carefull how much you use drags, alot of times they will get to where they are just trailing you and not the scent they are supposed to be after.

+1^^^^^^. i would wait a few hours after making the drag to let him out on the trail. it will give a little time for your scent to dissipate.

We can't use them in WA with our liberal crap &(@*# anyways, I got some bird dogs with fantastic recall with just a tone on the ecollar,

I figure if they ever get into a yote while bird hunting I'll tone them back to me and defend them, might even carry some special shot shells for that

Back