Night Vision scope owners

now I don't understand but there is a difference in mill dots amry/marine, I think Marine is true mill .243" which is the adjustments on the D760 nice as we both shoot a 243 dia bullet, but it coinsides with my vortex scope that I use in the daylight

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneI found that the first mill is the top of the line that starts the mill dots, not the first mill dot, the bottom of the cross hair is approx. 0.3 of a mill my POI at 300 yards I just give it a wag on .5 holds as in 500 yards with this load is 1.6 mills. The stadium line or thick ones on the outside to be approx .6 good for ranging
Now I have taken a coyote decoy and placed it at known ranges and ranged it to see what the mills were in reference to a 12” chest on a coyote and found it to be with this scope, tuff to range at night on the fly but find this gets me in the fur, my only problem is hogs come in so many sizes its hard to figure
1.mill =300 yards
.8 = 400 yards
.4 = 500 yards
.3 = 600 yards
crosshairsd760mod.jpg

On my trip with Tony T this worked well ranging at night ranging them the whole time they were on the way in so when they hung up I had a pretty good idea, but we did run into that pup that we all thought was 250 and full size coyote, as he was just over a mill thick, first shot missed high, took him on the run thinking I had just made a he11 of a running 250 yard shot only to pace it off at 150, and a pup not as thick as my 20 rd mag
puptrophy.png

That Thermal sure does show the WARM milk on that puppies mouth, did you happen to see it's mother? Or was it feeding the other babies?

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I just read up on mil dot a little and my head is spinning...
smile.gif

It would be nice if they would just build in a rangefinder in the scope!

what I would give for a night range finder that didnt cost over 2k and need a pvs14 to go with it. till them I'll try my best at ranging with the mill dots, but it sucks when your targets are diferent size ??? pup at 150 full size at 250?
one of the draw back of having good night vission and able to see at night

had he been on the tit I'd have got the biotch as well, LOL

dead down wind, I just looked at the Burris Eliminators. hmmm I will have to read the whole thing, thanks

impact, what 2k rangefinder are you referring to?

I don't rember the name as it was 2K and worked with a pvs14
sorry if I see it agin I"ll let you know but you may check on sniperhide a site sponser

Last edited:
It is very difficult to size and range with a thermal at night, especially if you are unfamiliar with the territory and have not explored it during the daytime, a new night time stand with a thermal is perplexing since you cannot accurately judge distances and sizes with your mil-dot reticules.

Tonight I had two dogs show up @ 275-300 yards in my backyard that I know the ranges real well and I took it easy because I figured they were two deer. Kept an eye on them for a minute and their characteristic movements keyed me in they were NOT deer. But by then they were up to 200 yards out by the time I figured this was going to be something different. Then they charged me and I shot the following dog at about 80-100 yards and knocked him down and opened up with four rounds at the lead dog as he high tailed it back where it came from missing all four times.

The worst with a thermal is being in a place that you have not seen during the day, it is very disorientating and hard to figure out. NV is much better in that kind of situation as the situational awareness factor is much much higher.

skypup,
you hit the nail on the head, I always try and range stands during the day before I call at night, even if I scan with FLIR i shoot under NV but I have a better feeling for range with NV but noting like in the daylight. landmarks such as fence post and trees, and at what landmark do I have to hold high, even 0.3 kind of gives me a killzone for PBR

all this talk has got me up for a midnight stand, wish me luck as I have called in 6 on the last three stands without a shot fired.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupIt is very difficult to size and range with a thermal at night, especially if you are unfamiliar with the territory and have not explored it during the daytime, a new night time stand with a thermal is perplexing since you cannot accurately judge distances and sizes with your mil-dot reticules.

Tonight I had two dogs show up @ 275-300 yards in my backyard that I know the ranges real well and I took it easy because I figured they were two deer. Kept an eye on them for a minute and their characteristic movements keyed me in they were NOT deer. But by then they were up to 200 yards out by the time I figured this was going to be something different. Then they charged me and I shot the following dog at about 80-100 yards and knocked him down and opened up with four rounds at the lead dog as he high tailed it back where it came from missing all four times.

The worst with a thermal is being in a place that you have not seen during the day, it is very disorientating and hard to figure out. NV is much better in that kind of situation as the situational awareness factor is much much higher.

Spot on here as well.

Folks also need to keep in mind that there is only so much resolution to be had even with the best Gen 3 NVD out there. It gets even more complex when you might be ranging with a PVS-27 or CNVDLR out front at 600m+. It's not as simple as a day scope with HORUS reticle looking down range in the day time. :)

Target size and environmental conditions also play huge roles in regards to night ranging. It takes work to get very consistent at it. Phil and Skypup have worked hard on this and it shows.

Vic

Back