2012-2013 fur price forecast

Wyocaddis

anyone heard what this winters fur price forecast is. Live in northren wy so good pelts. Intersted in coyote and bobcat.

Bobcats-

Western coast reddish skins-$100-$150
Arizona to West Texas to Kansas- Top quality between $300-$500
Canadian Lynx- $50-$60

Coyote-

Pale prairie coyotes- $50-$60 Extra pale- $75-$85
The best northeastern and silky westerns $35 to $45 semi-heavy skins $25-$35

That's from the September issue of Fur Fish and Game in their fur market section.

I'm going to be putting alot more fur up this year, than I have in prior years. Hard to swallow, throwing 4-5 coyotes away everyday, with $50 prices.

Tony

I'm unsure about unskinned. They say this will be the first year to return to the prices paid at their highest point in the 70s. I can't remember when it happened, but when the Asian market took a dive the prices on furs bottomed out. I guess that most of the furs tend to be sold eventually in Asia. I wish I hadn't sold all of my Fox traps years ago. I guess I'll probably be buying some again.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI'm going to be putting alot more fur up this year, than I have in prior years. Hard to swallow, throwing 4-5 coyotes away everyday, with $50 prices.

Tony

I am right there with ya TT!

I threw 40 Pale NE Colorado Coyotes out last year and this year i have a chest freezer in the basement, they are coming home with me.

I doubt if we are going to be anyplace close to prices from the late 70's except possibly for bobcats. In 78 or 79, my fox averaged $100 apiece and $140 for coyotes. Those were eastern Montana fur. Another thing to remember about F-F-G magazine prices is that they are talking about the top price for the top quality fur put up correctly. Averages will be considerably less than prices listed. I told my fur buyer last year what F-F-G prices were saying. He kind of laughed and asked if they were buying any fur.

Originally Posted By: drhart thing to remember about F-F-G magazine prices is that they are talking about the top price for the top quality fur put up correctly. Averages will be considerably less than prices listed. I told my fur buyer last year what F-F-G prices were saying. He kind of laughed and asked if they were buying any fur.

This is 100% correct , I have been harvesting and selling furs for 38 years now

How do you go about selling a whole, unskinned animal? Seems like it would start to rot as you were driving it somewhere. I had no idea people bought furs this way.

that only works " if " you have a buyer in your area , Always lay yotes on thier backs , thier bellies turn green real easy

Originally Posted By: CenturionI'm unsure about unskinned. They say this will be the first year to return to the prices paid at their highest point in the 70s. I can't remember when it happened, but when the Asian market took a dive the prices on furs bottomed out. I guess that most of the furs tend to be sold eventually in Asia. I wish I hadn't sold all of my Fox traps years ago. I guess I'll probably be buying some again.

dont wanna offend anyone,but seams we heat prices will be up every year.i believe it when i see it.

Last season i left many nice, pale Coyotes to waste!

If i can get $25-$35.00 for a nice pale coyote, i will be keeping them this season.

$25 Dollar make ya hollar!

Originally Posted By: jglynnwhat about an unskinned yote or bobcat??

about 5 or 6 yrs ago i was wonderin the same thing...so i got in contact w/ mike the fur manager for the az trappers assoc. and he told me there are no "green" buyers in az, in fact no fur buyers in az whatsoever...he told me about the annual fur auction (which i knew bout)in feb.. and how he sold his whole lot there and averaged about $2 a pelt.... sucks...bobcat was about $75-150, at the time and i doubt it has gone up since...no one that i know of is gonna take the time to skin/dry and put up for a year, for $2 a pelt....oh well...if i could get $15-20 a pelt id be a skinnin fool!!!

Yeah, I'm out of touch here, except for what I see in the Fur Fish and Game magazine. In the June issue they said the prices would be back to around what they were in the late 70s. That was based on the good prices they were getting at auction on furs left from last year, which pretty much sold out. The prices I quoted were from the September issue. I haven't trapped since the mid to late 80s, and the ones who used to buy furs here probably don't now. I think I'll try my hand with a few sets this year for predators only I think. Maybe some sets for mink, which are still plentiful. We even have fishers in our are now, where they used to be only further north in the Adirondacks. If I could locate where they are that would be a good catch, as their pelts are worth quite a bit.

fur prices will be all over the board. same as every year. for coyotes my buyer was paying an average of $25-$35 for the carcas. a real real nice one would fetch up to $40-$45 and a bad one as low as $5.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorfur prices will be all over the board. same as every year. for coyotes my buyer was paying an average of $25-$35 for the carcas. a real real nice one would fetch up to $40-$45 and a bad one as low as $5.

I'm sure i speak for all my AZ boys on this site....that would be a dream come true!!!!! $25 min. for a yote straight ou the back of the truck....no skinnin, no mess, just "were do you want em"....wow!

Get in touch with North American Fur Auctions ....they handle around 50% of all fur taken in North America each year. You can send put up fur to them . I am in Iowa and can sell green skins( or even unskinned , I don't do this,) to buyers that have routes they travel in trucks. Groenwald is one of the buyers I sell to . Jim

I am lucky to keep about 30% of what I kill, the other 70% have mange really bad. Anyone know what causes it to get this bad ? About 5 to 10 years ago they were all good pelts, now it is crap ! Kevin

Last edited:
Back