American Eagle .223 50gr varmint tipped ammo

speraz

Anyone have any experience with this ammo ? Price is pretty reasonable 20 rds @ 11.99 for v-max style ammo. Just wondering if its accurate or any good on yotes and other critters.

Whether or not it is "accurate" is up to your gun.
I haven't bought ammo in a long time, but the very general rule is:
If it is cheap(relatively speaking) then the quality shot to shot typically isn't what others can be.

I'm thinking, American Eagle is made by Federal. My friends DPMS shoots the 308 ammo pretty good. Can't say on the 223.

Well I took a chance and bought a few boxes and took them to my backyard range not expecting much.....3 shots at 100yds
sub moa ! SO I tried again to make sure it wasnt just luck....same results. This ammo groups as good as the Hornady 55gr v-max stuff with the same POI, only its 8 bucks a box cheaper.The only issue I noticed was the brass was not polished well and some of the cases have very small dents. I can only assume this is reloaded brass. But for the price and accuracy I cant complain since I dont reload.Next test will be on a live target

I haven't tried them personally but have tried out my Google-Jitsu on them in the past. The consensus seems to be that they are accurate in a wide variety of weapons, but have inconsistant performance terminally. It seems that the jacket may be a little thicker than most varmint projectiles causing erratic fragmentation to no expansion at all.

Of course this is all hear say, keep that in mind. Let us know of your personal experience when you get to try it out on some flesh.

Chupa

If you're talking about the grey tipped AR stuff, my RRA Coyote likes it. I called federal about it, and they said it was just a grey tipped v-max.

I'm shooting the same stuff through my 16" LW Bushmaster barrel, and it groups quite well. I haven't had the opportunity to kill anything with it yet, but I keep trying...

Oh, and I got it for $10.97 a box at Mao Mart.

This ammo is great, I put 100 rds through my savage axis 223 without issue or change in accuracy from box to box. Cant wait to try it out on ol' wiley.

Back