What scope for $200-$400

blindhog

Ok I am looking for 2 scopes for hunting and some paper work within the price ranges of 200 to 400 dollars. Most of my shooting will be from 100 to 300 yards and mostly deer and dogs. I have a 25wssm Ar15 and a 338 win mag. Which scopes would fit my intended uses and budget.

A good used scope can save you some money. Leupold and burris are nice because they will fix 2nd hand scopes.

I have bought some nice used scopes on ebay.

I am more inclined to buy new and I should say 200 to 400 each. I know you can get some good deals for used ones but I just like knowing how a piece has been treated all it's life and buying used doesn't lend it's self to that.

Nikon Buckmasters are pretty nice scopes in that price range. I actually got a couple a few years back for under $200 by watching the The Optic Zone's bargain bin, but I think those days might be over.

Look into Bushnell Elites. Not sure if you could get a new one in your price range, but I know you could pick one up in the classifieds. Also, check out the Burris Fullfield line of scopes. Good Luck!

I've got 3 of the Buckmasters 4x-12x-50SF scopes and one Prostaff 3x-9x-50mm. All Nikoplex reticles and all within that price range. They are on a 7mm08, a muzzleloader, my 17rem calling rifle, and a combo gun for calling. Great night hunting scopes as well. Seem to take the recoil and very clear for the price.

I've had good luck with Sightron scopes and they have a great warranty, even if you get a used one...The Redfields are reportedly made by Leupold and if their rifle scopes are anything like the spotting scope I bought, they would be a good investment as well...

I have Sightrons, Nikons, Burris, and recently a Redfield Revenge. All are pretty nice scopes. The Redfield was the cheapest and the quality seems really good. Out the door was under $300.

Thanks guys I am leaning toward either the Nikon or the redfield. My only concern is with eye relief with the 338win mag. It has a pretty good thump to it. Which scope of the ones mentioned has the most eye relief. I am thinking a verible power range of 4x12. And small is the eye box with these scopes another words how much move around room at the back of the scope will they have.

Most folks who get behind my Redfield 4-12x40 are impressed with the eye relief, but I have it on a 7mm-08, so no comments on recoil.

I will be purchasing a Savage Trophy Hunter XP in .270 or stouter for an upcoming elk hunt. The XP package comes with the Nikon Pro Staff I believe, so I will let you know.

You could find a nikon monarch in that range. Also, right now bushnell elites have a $75 rebate on all their scopes. I have both and would recommend either. Like these guys are saying, even cheaper are the redfield scopes and they do have pretty good eye relief and seem to be fine quality

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI've had good luck with Sightron scopes and they have a great warranty, even if you get a used one...The Redfields are reportedly made by Leupold and if their rifle scopes are anything like the spotting scope I bought, they would be a good investment as well...

Leupold purchased the Redfield brand in 2008. Redfield scopes made since that time are in fact assembled in Leupold's factory in Oregon. They are a great deal for the consumer and are at the same price point as the Leupold Rifleman. I would not be suprised if Leupold either drops the Redfield line or moves production of the Redfield overseas.

Back