Will a coyote jump a fence?

Clayne_B

I have been doing some scouting and found a spot where for 3 nights in a row i have heard probably 15 coyotes and a few groups of coyotes howling yipping and barking about half an hour after sun down.

My question is, they are all on military property and i do not have access to it. it is fenced off with that 4 inch square "chicken" wire fence that is about 4 feet tall. Will they jump the fence to come to my call?

I've seen them jump a fence a few times. I have one on film that I'll be releasing in an upcoming episode of the show. I've seen more jump fences, after the gun fire, than coming to the call, though.
smile.gif

Tony

In urban areas in Socal we see them jumping 6 ft cinderblock walls all the time. Back yard pets are not safe.

Last edited:
Can't say if they will jump the fence but they will find a
way under it. They're pretty good at finding weak spots in
fences.

Originally Posted By: HogstirIn urban areas in Socal we see them jumping 6 ft cinderblock walls all the time. Back yard pets are not safe.

First thing I thought of:

I've seen them jump hogwire, but I've also seen them go the long way, because they knew where a hole in the fence was.
They know where every hole in the fence is....

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: HogstirIn urban areas in Socal we see them jumping 6 ft cinderblock walls all the time. Back yard pets are not safe.

First thing I thought of:

I've seen them jump hogwire, but I've also seen them go the long way, because they knew where a hole in the fence was.
They know where every hole in the fence is....

That pretty much answers that question. Cool video if'n your not a cat.

Chupa

I would be surprised if they would jump the fence coming to a call. They can and will jump very high fences, but not while on the hunt. Most generally they will go under the fence coming to the call. There is a hole or two under that fence, I am sure. Call and they will come.

Cool video.

Im going to try calling them to the "safe" side of the fence Saturday morning.

As far as shooting threw the fence or onto there property, NO WAY, I was out there the other night and a helicopter buzzed us. I did not know helicopters could be so quiet. I swear it was in stealth mode. There is no problem hunting around the property but it is clearly posted every 100 yards on the fence.

I am going to walk the fence and find a hole under it that they use and call near there.

I have seen coyotes climb a 6' plus chainlink fence just like I would put its legs in the holes and climbed. I work on a military base and saw 7 coyotes yesterday which is about the norm. I am not going to chance my job by hunting coyotes even if I am on the other side of the fence.

I would be very careful hunting around a military installation. I don't think they will take kindly to shots being fired on either side of the fence. I bet if you fire shots within a couple hundred yards of the fence they will be over there seeing whats going on.

Clayne -

They will jump fences no problem but if they are going to go across it will be the route of least resistance.

As for hunting near the "camp" I would go closer towards the Pheasant/clay pigeon farm. I have "heard" stories of people getting stopped and asked while hunting close to the "camp" or being "buzzed" by choppers (heck when I was young if you went spotlighting for rabbits out there you would have a chopper flying over and I don't know why except maybe they were bored).

They are pretty cautious with hunting by the "camp" seeing as over the years many deer (some monsters) have been "taken" off the camp during this time of year.

If you do call. Be ready for foxes also. They have quiet a few running around out there.

Good luck!

They can easily clear a 4 foot fence if they want to. I have heard other hunter say they can't get a coyote to cross a road or a fence to come to the call. And I've heard speculation that they sometimes use man-made boundaries as their territorial boundaries. If that is the case, their jumping ability is irrelevant. You might spend some time walking the fence to see if there are any holes or crossing points and them setup close by. A good decoy might help.

If you are referring to the Chemical Depot. I would have to agree with the above. If you shoot within a half mile of there be prepared for visitors... If you know what I mean.

I did have a Bait pile in my back yard that was surrounded by 4' chainlink. The Domestic dogs stayed out ,but the Coyotes went right over the fence coming and going both.

Originally Posted By: jarheadhunterI have seen coyotes climb a 6' plus chainlink fence just like I would put its legs in the holes and climbed. I work on a military base and saw 7 coyotes yesterday which is about the norm. I am not going to chance my job by hunting coyotes even if I am on the other side of the fence.

I would be very careful hunting around a military installation. I don't think they will take kindly to shots being fired on either side of the fence. I bet if you fire shots within a couple hundred yards of the fence they will be over there seeing whats going on.

Good advice. I would not be firing shots near a military installation without letting someone know before hand what I was doing and where I was doing it. Coyotes on a military base is a common sight.

Yote Yoda USMC

My experience tells me that lots of hunting is allowed on military bases, i.e. Fort Knox. They always make you sign in and out so they know where you are hunting. If military drills/training are happening in an adjoining section, they normally don't allow hunting in the surrounding sections. Usually it is well planned and you can find out in advance when certain sections are designated for permits. We used to do some dandy deer hunting with archery at both Fort Knox and Bluegrass Army Depot in Richmond, Ky. If you have permission to hunt adjoining farms, the info about where training is scheduled is valuable information.

Back