Tips to get different bullets to shoot in the same place.

I would like to make a couple of suggestions. I know a guy that does some close quarters deer hunting with the 87gr Vmax. He tells me that they will pretty much drop a deer in it's tracks out to about 200yds. He keeps them behind the shoulder and he says its like a grenade going off in the deer.
Might be somehting to consider- especially seeing the outstanding BC the 87gr bullet has.

If it were me and I was shooting in the same conditions you were, I would opt for an 85gr Sierra Gameking HPBT. No doubt a deer slayer at the distances you are wanting to shoot them at.

You say a coyote kill is not that common in your area and if you shot one, you would want to do somehting with it. When you get into the 243s, 25-06s, and bigger calibers, they are not very fur friendly animals when using the varmint style bullets. Alot of folks have found (including myself with a 7mm-08)that when using a more controlled expanding bullet in bigger calibers, it can actually be more fur friendly with song dogs. I would think the 85gr Sierra HPBT would fit the bill for this too. Especailly with the 500yd cap that you put on the distance- the boat tail bullet will get it done well.

Originally Posted By: bobeanoive counted the clicks when adjusting scope for differant bullets.
but u gotta wright them down so you know or you will forget them.
that gets u back into ballpark,but should still shoot it before hunting.
now i just have 2 differant scopes,1 for long rang,and 1 for calling,i leave rings on a change at the base.but really still should shot it when changing,before hunting.
I also ducument scope settings between different loads..

Originally Posted By: ackleymanThe best solution is to buy two different rifles, one for each bullet weight...that is what I do.
now thats even better idea

Never tried it with rifles but I've had success getting different weights to hit same POA using handguns. Generally heavier bullets will hit higher if you are loading equal levels with both loads. So the key is to slow down the heavier bullet to bring it's POI down to meet POA.

Can you load down the 95gr BT's to meet the POA of the 65's and still be effective on deer? Not entirely sure but I'm betting you can. Sometimes it doesn't take much of a change in powder to make big changes in POI.

Or you could do what I do and say to heck with 2 different weights and just loads some 85gr Sierra Gameking HP's and call it good.

I ran my 243 the same way i kept the 65 gr vmax with a varget load dialed in inch high and my 96 grain SSt load with varget shot about 3/4 inch up and 1/2 inch right. Close enough for deer. If i want to move my point of impact to zero my 95 grainers if i were to use them for coyote or antelope i kept a copy of my taget taped to the box of ammo showign POI difference.

There used to be a guy locally that made bullets for me. They were extremely accurate and very very deadly. He had a deer bullet and a varmint bullet that shot the same poi BUT they were bother identical in shape, weight, and length. The difference was in the core. Unfortunately for me he no longer makes them.

My point is they shot the same because they were essential the same bullet. I have never had any bullets of different weights shoot the same poi.

Good luck

Back