CVA Hunter?

Chupathingy

Does anyone have one of these? As far as I can tell it's the Scout rifle without the fluted barrel. With my discount at work, I can get one in .243 for less than $150. If it shoots halfway decent I think it would make a good truck gun, it's compact, light weight, points well and has a pretty nice trigger.

Let's hear it.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: WigenheadWOW! Made my longest blackpowder kill with a CVA Wolf 50 cal, 220 yds. Guess it was a crap shot.

What did you kill?

220 yards is a helluva poke for any 50cal black powder rifle. Give any credit to lady luck making that shot?

CVA did have some problems but they also have been the focus of a slur campaign by a few people on the internet.

There is no doubt that CVA did have an issue back several years ago, but since BPI purchased them, they have made some real improvements.

I had bought the whole "CVA is Crap" thing to, until a friend of mine bought one of their "Wolf ML's" I have been very impressed with the accuracy and quality of it.

So much so that just last week I bought a Scout in 44mag for deer season this year. I spent some time with it this afternoon and am fairly happy with what I'm seeing so far. Right now I'm getting 5 shot groups of around 2", with 300gr. XTP's at 100 yds.

As far as the OP's original question,sorry can't give you an answer.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8 There is no doubt that CVA did have an issue back several years ago, but since BPI purchased them, they have made some real improvements.

An issue? Yeah, I'd say so.

Several years ago? Yep, and before that, and after that.

CVA has consistently turned out junk for a very long time. You can call all the "negative press" a "slur campaign" if you want, but all these lawsuits/pictures are very real. And check out the dates......

http://cvaguncases.com/Case___Information_Page.html

Some nice CVA pics too. I particularly like the x-ray of the guy with the breech plug lodged in his skull. Breech plugs/chambers with next to no threads on them. That is some FINE QC right there.

It's hard to pick a favorite, given there are SO MANY to choose from, but here are a couple of mine:

JH_3.jpg

Hamblin_Optima_post_7.jpg

Optima_1.jpg

Kohn_Kodiak.jpg

Notice that these rifles are all different models? I know it's kind of hard to tell, given there isn't much left of them. I'd say that's pretty consistent with the term "crap".

This guy would too:
CVAface.jpg

I find it VERY strange that anyone would purchase a rifle from a company with such a horrific track record and tons of personal injury lawsuits filed against them. But I guess I'm weird that way.......
crazy.gif

I don't usualy agree with 2muchgun very often but I've got his back on this one.Why take a chance with your life just to save a few dollars and still end up with a junk gun even if it doesn't tear your head off.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMan if the last pic of the guy that looks like he PO'ed Mike Tyson won't change your mind, go ahead on.

It does paint a pretty good picture don't it? I think I'm back to my original thought which is a 336. Been trying to find an older one for the right price on GB for a while.

Chupa

I can't say that these pics don't tell a gruesome story, but also makes me wonder if there is more to the stories than meets the eye (or forehead)? Guns just don't expload for no apparent reason. Even CVA junk?????

Muzzle laoders have so many variables. Double loaded..air space between powder and bullet, unmeasured powder charge just to name a few. I have a CVA Kodiak that shoots awesome and love it. Im very careful with any muzzle loader seating the bullet and checking it every day to make sure it has stayed seated before I head out again!!

The so-called "expert" who testified against Remington was asked point blank, under oath, if he was ever able to get a 700 to discharge "accidentally", and his answer was "no", he could never replicate a witnessed misfire from a 700.

Some people should not try to adjust their own triggers. Others should not have their fingers on it while loading/unloading the rifle, or disengaging the safety.....

My thing is that I know how to tune a 700 trigger, and fully understand how they work. I have never, ever, heard anyone that I know for a fact knows a lot about guns/ triggers, whose opinion I respect, say a single bad word about them. Ever. In fact, like myself, they'll gladly take yours off your hands.

If Remington did anything wrong, they made a trigger that wasn't sufficiently idiot-proof IMO.

Not to sidetrack this thread. So back to CVA..........Yep. It's still junk
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: roode301That maybe but if they did nothing wrong why did they have to pay then.

Why do women shave their eyebrows off and then pencil them back on????

Back