DPMS oracle

I bought this thing for a cheap gun to have around but I have some questions. New to ARs. Is this or can this be an accurate rifle? It is the 5.56 chamber 1-9 twist. Is the .223 chamber more accurate? How about the wylde? Reason I ask is I have not shot it and I could always switch it out. I am not looking for .5 MOA but an inch would be nice. Am I looking for too much out of the rifle?

Originally Posted By: tractormanI bought this thing for a cheap gun to have around but I have some questions. New to ARs. Is this or can this be an accurate rifle? It is the 5.56 chamber 1-9 twist. Is the .223 chamber more accurate? How about the wylde? Reason I ask is I have not shot it and I could always switch it out. I am not looking for .5 MOA but an inch would be nice. Am I looking for too much out of the rifle?

I would highly doubt you get .5MOA consistently out of a bargain bin AR with a lightweight barrel and factory loads. It doesn't have a match barrel, a good trigger, or is freefloated.

It COULD be possible, but more realistically you're going to be looking at ~1.5" accuracy (5 shot groups) with most standard ammo. That's assuming you have good ammo and do your part.

IMO, if you want to have that sort of accuracy out of a rifle in that ballpark of price you should look at Savage/Remington/CZ bolts actions.

If you want a more accurate setup out of the box, you might look at Rock River Arms?

Last edited:
Well that was what I wanted and have had my eye on for awhile now (Rock River) but I just thought I might try and save some money. But I guess you get what you pay for. Any difference in chambers accuracy wise?

I have an oracle and I usually get sub moa with just lake city green tip ammo. .5 maybe with match hand loads but more than likely around 1 inch. great rifle, I would say keep it and build off of it.

Mine will shoot 1/2" 3 round groups, but count the other 2 and it opens up to 1&1/4";(100yrds) this seems to be consistant. I have added a free float tube and RRA 2 stage trigger and mostly just use reloads.
I suggest get a couple of different brands of ammo and give it a try.
Like most everything you can buy, ya get what ya pay for.
I think the Oracle is a nice rifle for a cheaper entry level AR; I guess it would be asking quite a bit for a light weight 16" pencil barrel to shoot as accurately as the 20" Bull SS.
CIMG1513.jpg

Originally Posted By: tractorman Any difference in chambers accuracy wise?
from DPMS frequently asked questions #17
http://www.dpmsinc.com/Frequently-Asked_ep_55-1.html
I have read similar from other manufacturers web pages.
the wylde chamber is something in-between the 2, 5.56/.223
In my LIMITED experience (but experience w/all 3 chamberings); theres not much difference accuracy wise.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=229
A friend has the RRA Predator Pursuit and if you have the extra $$ it would be a nice upgrade from the Oracle.IMO

I have an Oracle upper that I built a PSA lower with ACE stock, RRA two stage national match trigger for an inexpensive, light carry gun for coyotes that I planned on camoing with a rattle can. I have a 2-7 Redfield on top.
DPMS.jpg

It won't win any shooting contests but will certainly kill coyotes if I do my part. Was able to get a shot at a woodchuck at 125 yrds last week and 1 shot kill.
Here is a group I shot this morning:
DMPSoracle7-22-12.jpg

The one flier was me, I always seem to get one of 5 slightly high and always to the left. I also get the same flier with my RRA coyote carbine, thats why I figure it is me.

RRA40grV-max100yrds.jpg

I am sooting hand loads if that helps, 40 gr vmax in front of IMR 8208 XBR

Originally Posted By: HookedOriginally Posted By: tractorman Any difference in chambers accuracy wise?
from DPMS frequently asked questions #17
http://www.dpmsinc.com/Frequently-Asked_ep_55-1.html
I have read similar from other manufacturers web pages.
the wylde chamber is something in-between the 2, 5.56/.223
In my LIMITED experience (but experience w/all 3 chamberings); theres not much difference accuracy wise.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=229
A friend has the RRA Predator Pursuit and if you have the extra $$ it would be a nice upgrade from the Oracle.IMO

Hooked I read that on the DPMS site today that is why I asked the question. I have been all over both of the sites today comparing weights and so forth. I knew that RR had a 3/4 guarantee. Looks like some good grouping with all the posts. I have to be honest guys I will buy a gun and say I am going to hunt with it and USE it. Then I am watching for scratches and knicks and bumps. I think I need to decide if I want to keep it and USE it or get a higher priced one and really WATCH it and keep it from getting beat up. I was only going to put a heads up site on it anyway. I guess I really should not be worried about tight groups.

A nice thing about these `black` rifles, is you wont have to be too careful with it as far as scratches or whatever..not like fine walnut anyway.
If this is your first, you might just want to keep it, see how it will shoot, see if you even like it..some don`t. Some try it, think it`s not for them..give up on them...then suddenly own a few again
lol.gif

Your next one might be the more expensive custom, or this one might just take a back seat to something your more used to.

I have an oracle on a rra lower. The 24" bull bbl is too heavy to lug around. This Oracle will shoot bug holes woth 55 grain sierra, 23.5 benchmark powder. Highly accurate with this type of set up.

Back