7MM08 for Coyote?

204Gunner

Do any of you use 7mm08 for coyote hunting and if so, what bullet? I really want a M70 featherweight but torn between 243 or 7mm08 right now. I also have a 204 Ruger CZ on the small side and 7mm Rem Mag M70 on the big side.

Originally Posted By: 204GunnerDo any of you use 7mm08 for coyote hunting and if so, what bullet? I really want a M70 featherweight but torn between 243 or 7mm08 right now. I also have a 204 Ruger CZ on the small side and 7mm Rem Mag M70 on the big side.

I have a couple 7mm-08s that I love,but to fill your needs I would recommend the 243. It is a great gun for coyotes and can also be deadly on deer. I have taken many whitetails with the Hornady 100gr interlocks out of my 243s. There are also many bullet choices out there for fox/coyote sized game.

I use a Speer 130 gr boatail , with 43grs of H4895 and a Remington 91/2 priimer. This is not fur friendly but gives you a 300 yd range. This bullet is also good for white tail deer as well. I probably would not use it on something heavier.I have tried 120gr hornaday spire points but could not get the accuracy I was looking for . I think the standard twist for a 7-08 is not fast enough to stabalize the 120 flat base bullets but a boat tail may be long enough . I have some 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tips to try . I have a 243 and 7-08 and my go-to is always the 7- 08 . I am in the process of ringing out my 25-06 right not and it is clearly superior for very long range shooting . This is good and fun to play with but most shots at yotes I have attempted we're 150 yards or less.

I shoot a 100 grain Hornady HP in my 7mm08AI. I think its running about 3450 fps. Pretty nasty!

My bad, I'm shooting Sierra HP's not Hornady!

Last edited:
My wife uses her 7mm-08 for coyotes. 100 gr sierra varmint hollow points with 44.5 grains of reloader-15 gets them flying at a little over 3200 fps and shooting 1" at 200 yards. I have yet to see a coyote even flinch after she hits one they are pretty devastating on coyotes!!!!

Whatever your load is in that rifle for big game. I cannot imagine any varmint round in the 7/08 being any more fur friendly than a big game round. The big game round (being more slower to expand) might actualy be more fur friendly.

Originally Posted By: RamjetI use a Speer 130 gr boatail , with 43grs of H4895 and a Remington 91/2 priimer. This is not fur friendly but gives you a 300 yd range. This bullet is also good for white tail deer as well. I probably would not use it on something heavier.I have tried 120gr hornaday spire points but could not get the accuracy I was looking for . I think the standard twist for a 7-08 is not fast enough to stabalize the 120 flat base bullets but a boat tail may be long enough . I have some 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tips to try . I have a 243 and 7-08 and my go-to is always the 7- 08 . I am in the process of ringing out my 25-06 right not and it is clearly superior for very long range shooting . This is good and fun to play with but most shots at yotes I have attempted we're 150 yards or less.

Ramjet, my load with the Speer 130g BTSP is 42.5g of IMR 4895 and the Rem 9 1/2 seals the deal on small groups. No one would imagine just how effective this load is on whitetails. We also have used this load to 325 yds, and it is a very effective killer. I have not killed a coyote with this load.

Ackleyman , great minds think alike . I think the 130 gr bullets in 7 mm are an overlooked weight by most 7-08 ,7x57, and 280 owners . Performance on game is exceptional and "dead before they hit the ground" is the rule ( on whitetails and yotes ) . I haven't tried any of the flat base 130's but I will at some point . For whatever reason Speer boatails shoot well in all the calibers I load for . The 100 gr , 25 cal bullet is an outstanding performer in my 25-06 and 165 gr , 30 cal. Bullets shoot well in the 300.

We shot a few coyotes and fox a couple years ago using 7mm-08 and 140gr federal fusions. On fox damage wasn't any worse than a .22-250 and the yotes had small holes in, 50 cent piece out.

If ricochets aren't a concern than I'd lean more towards game bullets and away from varmint bullets with either of your choices.

Back