44 mag vs 357 mag

YoteAddiction

I'm getting my girlfriend her first gun (shes done quite a bit of shooting but never had her own). Ive already decided on a rifle chambered in either 357 mag or 44 mag. My first thought was the 44 just because, well, I've always wanted one, but alas it isn't for me. So my question is, assuming identical rifles and average for caliber loads, how do the two rounds compare in areas like felt recoil, noise, and trajectory/ballistics ? Just for point of reference the gun will be used mostly for paper punching and pumpkin popping.

If this rifle is mostly for plinking ... without a doubt 357mag would be the way to go! It will still get the job done when used for hunting, but not as well as the 44. I have recently added a Marlin 1894C chambered in 357mag to the stable & it really is a fun shooter! Great lightweight, quick handling rifle.

thumbup.gif

.357 would be the way that I go. Shoot .38 Special for easy and quiet fun and the .357 for more splat factor.

Pumpkins are fairly easy to kill and they do not spook easy. If charged by one you should have time to place a kill shot with no trouble.

Keep in mind that some folks will think that you are out of your gourd for hunting them, but after you get the hang of it, shooting them gets as easy as pie. Pumpkin pie that is.

If it's just for paper or plinking go with the .357.
I guess it will be a little bit cheapaer to shoot.
Why choose between just these two calibers for a first gun?
Lever, bolt, other action?
Just wondering.
Thanks.

PC

Last edited:
I'd go with the 44 she can shoot mags in the rifle for hunting. Then shoot 44 spl in the pistol for targets. 44spl aren't as cheap as 38s in the 357 but not too expensive.

44 specials are great fun in a rifle.

Here's my though. All too often, plinkers and rec shooter girlfriends and wives end up wanting to eventually go hunting. The pumpkins only last so long. And when the choose to go hunting, eyre prone to take a firearm they're accustomed to and comfortable with. So...buy theirs the hunting aspect as a first thought with plinking and pumpkins as a secondary thought. This is my experience, my wife is gearing up to hunt this next season.

44 is more versatile. If its for only plinking I'd buy a 22 instead. But if hunting is an option, 44. The cost between 357 and 44 probably isn't that great. Out of a rifle recoil from either will be low.

Out of a pistol it may be greater, but I HATE the blast pitch of the 357. Goes right to the middle of my brain and throws up all over the drapes even through ears.

Seems every time someone says they want a hunting rifle for paper punching, they eventually end up wanting to use it for which it was designed--killing critters.

For plinking, a rimfire is hard to beat. Maybe even a 22 mag.

For hunting anything larger than a coyote, the 357 is a pea shooter IMO. The 44 is much better for deer and larger IMO.

That said, I'd rather a 45 Colt than either one. Standard loads are quite light/manageable. Hot loads will kill as good or better than the 44 mag......

I never make recommendations as I rarely make the right decisions for myself; however, I had M92's in 357, 44M and 45C. Kept the 44M and sold the other two.

DSC_2052.jpg

If I had to give up all of my center fire rifles with the exception of one, I would keep my old Marlin .44 mag...Not saying that I wouldn't cry a little over losing some of the others, but in most cases the .44 mag will see me through a variety of situations...

.357 outta of a rifle (or handgun for that matter) is no slouch on game. Out to 100 yards it's right up there with a .30-30 using loads from the likes of Buffalo Bore.

My pick for first gun is always a .22lr but if shes wanting/needing something with some extra pop for larger game the .357 would be my second pick. Cheaper to feed and gets the job done. America's fascination with cartridges starting with 4 baffles me sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Chris_Brice.357 outta of a rifle (or handgun for that matter) is no slouch on game. Out to 100 yards it's right up there with a .30-30 using loads from the likes of Buffalo Bore.

My pick for first gun is always a .22lr but if shes wanting/needing something with some extra pop for larger game the .357 would be my second pick. Cheaper to feed and gets the job done. America's fascination with cartridges starting with 4 baffles me sometimes.

Yep, I've shot several deer with a .357 pistol & it aint no slouch. Out of a rifle it becomes a GREAT deer cartridge for the amount of recoil, works perfect every time. Not saying the .357 is better than a 44RemMag in killing power, just that the .357 is way more than adequate. However, if I was punching paper or shooting dangerous vegetables... I'd sure lot rather have a .223Rem than ANY pistol cartridge
wink.gif
Cheaper to shoot, MUCH better range, less recoil, more splat factor on punkins!

.44 Magnum in Marlin levergun like claimbuster shows us. Bullet proof rifle, you can easily top mount a scope and .44 Special Cowboy Action loads good enough for some of us SASS cowboys and .44 Magnum with 240 gr JHP will handle most other chores.

Might think twice on matching it with a handgun, most folks don't enjoy plinking with full power .44 Magnum loads after the novelty wears off..usually about half of the first box of ammunition.

Enjoy shooting with your lady friend.

Back