Varmint calibers comparison

dzrtram

I don't understand why the .223 and .22-250 are the most popular calibers for varminting. At least that's what the mags say.
The .243 will outperform those calibers in just about every way, then do things those calibers can't--or shouldn't legally.
I do understand the plethora of .223 ammo and brass available. But, what about the .22-250? Couldn't the brass be just as available because the .242 is also popular for other shooting?
I know the .223 is abundantly available and "cheap", so please, other than that, tell me why I shouldn't use a .243 for the same varminting you all use the .223 and .22-250 for.
This is not a challenging question, and not meant to start an arguement or flaming. I really want to know because I don't have a long distance varmint rifle and I was leaning toward the .243 when Savage puts the ACCUTRIGGER on it. I could also use it for white tail
Thanks for your help

Several reasons...
1. the .223 is quieter
2. the .223 is much more fur friendly (I keep the furs)
3. .223 ammo is cheaper

The AR15 comes in .223, great gun for follow up shots.

The MAIN reason I like the .223 though is because I don't like fur damage. I shot a bobcat at 13 steps with no damage. I would have hated to have shot him with a 243 at that range.

I don't disagree with what dogcatcher223 says, but will say this for the .243; it just smacks 'em harder. I have taken more predators with it than any caliber.

It is NOT fur friendly. With a good bullet (I use the Sierra 75 HP, but there are lots of good ones) it will kill with more authority than a smaller caliber can muster.

That is why many contest hunters opt for the .243 or .25-06; they want the animal dead on the spot, and are not interested in the fur.

PS: I have used several other calibers on predators, including 12-gauge, .22-250 and .223. The .22-250 and .220 Swift come close to the .243's knockdown ability, but do not match it.

4. Recoil friendly
5. Barrel friendly
6. Barrel heats at a slower rate, example would be use on a PD town, or shooting a string of five shot groups at the range.
7.You can see the animal get hit in the scope because of reduced recoil.

Why the 223 Phenomina --------

For me its related to the over all balance that that cartridge offers. NOT the availability of inexpensive brass and loadings.

The 223 (and all its relatives for that matter, 222, 222mag., 223, the new 223AI's) is generally powerfull enough without being over powerfull and some what wasteful. It will do everything you can ask of it and a great deal more. Out to 300 yards a coyote is in a world of hurt with a 223 and lets face it, how many coyotes are actually taken past the 300 yard mark.

Reloading ------------
Bullet selection - There is a fantastic variety of bullets out there for the 22 class of cartridges. If you want to shoot it, there generally is a bullet made for it.

Powder - I can easily get 250 rounds out of a 1 lb can of powder.

Rifles ----------------
Everybody makes a dandy rifle for the 223. And they will last a very long time. Barrel life in excess of 6,000 rounds is not unusual for a 223.

The 22-250 has been around a lot longer than the 223 but it has a long and respected history. Sure you can get hotter faster 22 centerfires (the 220 Swift for example) but at the cost of MUCH reduced barrel life. I guess the 22-250 has almost all the positives that a 223 has but is faster and will handle heavier bullets better. Barrel life is not nearly as good as the 223 but you also get alot of bang for the buck.

22 caliber bullets----------

These are the true value of the shooting world, they cone in a huge array of weights an styles but I believe the most important thing about these bullets is the fact that most varmint bullets will kill with authorit and destroy themselves on contact with any solid. This greatly reduces the possibility that you will hit something that you absolutely don't want to hit, like a cow, a horse, a tractor, irrigation equipement ............

The 243 or 6mm
These are wonderful calibers, but there is a deffinate cost to owning one of them. Bullets are considerably more expensive, you will use much more powder and your barrel will not last as long as either the 22-250 or the 223.

Like I said its a question of balance for me. THe 223 and 22-250 will do almost anything that you could want with a minimum of fuss.

I use a 22-250 and from what I have seen it has less recoil than a 243. My friend shoots groundhogs with a 243 and he loves it...I think it would just be personal preference.

I probably would have gotten a 243 if you were allowed to hunt deer with high powered rifles in Ohio...But since you can only hunt deer with a shotgun in Ohio, I got my 22-250 and I love it for groundhogs.

Try shooting your .243 say 300 times a day, for three days straight at prairie dogs, your sholder will feel like you've been in a GOOD dove field. You can also shoot a .223 all day and unless your rate of fire goes under thirty seconds a shot it won't heat up on you. Under 300 yards a .223 will make a coyote just as dead as the .243.

MJM and 9Horses have some valid points! Some real ones other than cost to operate are 300 rds a day is nothing if you are on good P=Dog towns. .243 will hinder shooting time as the barrel will get hot alot quicker and I could shoot a .243 barrel out and my shoulder in one day where we hunt. .243 does make a great callin rifle. None of the above apply to this type of hunting.

While I like the .243 on predators, it is not the best primary gun for PD shooting.

I have 3 heavy guns for PDs:
1.) .223AI, my favorite by far. About 3700 fps with 40grBTs in a very mild load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
2.) .22-250 Rem 700 BDL Varmint. An oldie, but a goodie. Barrel heats up quickly in heavy combat.
3.) .243 (Yeah, here we go.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) in Rem 700 VLS, with the Answer Products system (brake and pad). I don't mind the recoil without the system, but couldn't see my hits (and misses). With the system, it is a pussycat to shoot. Still heats up really fast, though. This is my "Wind" gun, and is used very little except when the wind is howling. Really great then!

and I could shoot a .243 barrel out and my shoulder in one day where we hunt.
Steve- How many shots can one expect to get out of say a NEF in .243? Can you really shoot out a barrel in one day?

Shooting out a barrel in one day was kinda a figure of speech but it can be ruined in an hour on a good P-Dog town if not cooled or taken care of. It is very possible. Heating up the barrel real bad is a killer of barrels!! I have been on towns where you could shoot 500 rds a day!

On our match rifles we would see about 1000-1500 rds. in the .243's but these are fast twist (1 in 8's) for shooting the 107 match bullets. However, they get some tough shooting done with them but not like P-Dogs. Last year I saw a guy get a Kimber so hot the action was difficult to open and close! Was waiting to see a cook-off any second!!

Barrel life is like accuracy, it depends on alot of variables. As a callin rifle, you should not shoot as many rounds as we are talking about in a lifetime unless you are Randy Watson or such. Shooting P-Dogs is a different story! On good towns, I would think this is the most harsh condition shooting around. Main key is to keep it cool. I usually have at least 3 rifles for P-Dog shootin and rotate them around.

1500 rounds would be a life-time for me on predators and deer. I am wanting to get the .223 barrel for the NEF though. I have never been p-dog hunting since they don't have them around here. I know a guy who goes to New Mexico to shoot them, and they have a special truck fixed up and everything. He takes several rifles like you say. I believe he said they use the .223 out to 200-300 yards and then go to the .22 BR or 6mmBR I forget which. He also had a wildcat round that he calls a .22 Jaybird. Wicked looking little cartridge. Are you familiar with it?

WOW!!! I feel like I just got my Phd in varminting. Thanks for all the great input, guys? Looks like I'll have to buy more than one rifle, darn it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyone use the NEF Handi-Rifles. I was on the NEF BBS, and those guys seem to do everything with their 'cheap' rifles that others do with there $$$$rifles. Whattayathink? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Why do i like the 22-250?? Cause it the only thing i could find in a XP-100R at the time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

048136.JPG

I have killed a few chucks with it this year including my longest kill with a handgun yet, 388 paces!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I do like me XP!!

EDIT: It does shoot too!

048204.JPG

At some point it WILL become a 6br but until that time i will have to be content with wackin chucks with me 22-250. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back