on a lighter note, pics

Originally Posted By: UphillDocroode-Thanks.

Double/yfz-That is an 8 week old Bullstag lurcher. I call Tracker. I used his sire and dam on coyotes mostly. I expect he will be 80-90lbs when grown, and I hope he is as good as either sire/dam. We should know by this time next year if he makes the team or not.

btech-Mine are closer to fugly than pretty...but I will send em to ya anyways.

Take care.

Well if he does not work out point him east and hit him in the a$$ with a livestock prod.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKDoc do you use these dogs on calling stands. Coursing coyotes horseback has always been something that intrigued me. Gotta be a blast.

Double-I have used them on calling stand. I course 95% of the time now. They dont "decoy" but they work fine to keep coyote focused on them, instead of me. They will trail up/run down cripples, and sometimes they make the catch without ever firing a shot. The first pic I posted of the female laying down, has a double next to her. She caught one, and I shot one...was an awesome stand!
The coursing coyotes horseback can get Western, but for sheer fun...it would be tough to beat.

Take care.

Originally Posted By: UphillDocOriginally Posted By: DoubleCKDoc do you use these dogs on calling stands. Coursing coyotes horseback has always been something that intrigued me. Gotta be a blast.

Double-I have used them on calling stand. I course 95% of the time now. They dont "decoy" but they work fine to keep coyote focused on them, instead of me. They will trail up/run down cripples, and sometimes they make the catch without ever firing a shot. The first pic I posted of the female laying down, has a double next to her. She caught one, and I shot one...was an awesome stand!
The coursing coyotes horseback can get Western, but for sheer fun...it would be tough to beat.

Take care.

A double with one Lurcher and one bullet? That would be about as good a stand as a stand can get.
tt1.gif

Coursing horseback seems it would be a supreme test of men and beasts!
w00t.gif

Doc or Craig, I've never seen or heard to much about coursing coyotes. I understand the basics I believe but can either one of you tell me how it goes? Do you call at all? Do you free cast or work off tracks?

i love that Annie pic!! And kinda miss seeing bullett. I know you are busy and dont have alot of time to hunt your own dogs. its just that we got to seeing Bullett getting real good then....... just cut us off.lol. Good Pics everyone!!

Ryan, it was either that or tied down to the roof. I get enuff funny looks as it is, especially when that BOY is with me..lol, not sure that would have helped not to mention that he probly would have bit me when I got him down....lol.

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450Doc or Craig, I've never seen or heard to much about coursing coyotes. I understand the basics I believe but can either one of you tell me how it goes? Do you call at all? Do you free cast or work off tracks?

yfz-Most often the dogs are carried around in a truck. They are in a "jump box" (similar to hound box) where they can see out the sides, but the doors can be opened from inside the cab to release dogs when a coyote is spotted. Imagine driving down road and you spot a coyote, hit the brakes, release the dogs, and the chase is on. Some they catch, some they dont. You can also hunt them on foot or horseback, and they will wind a coyote, or see one get up, and then they will try to run it down. They will run a hot track, but not everyone likes them to. Alot depends on the terrain you hunt in, for what you like in a runnin dog...ie flat, open country=more speed, hilly/rough ground=more nose and durability, as a general rule.
If you have them on a calling stand, you can have them mill around to keep coyotes focus on them, but you better have a good handle on them, cause once they spot the coyote they will want to go...no matter how far. They can see way better than most dogs. I would down my dog when I spotted a coyote, or thought they had one spotted. If the coyote spots the dog first, and then the dog lays down, the coyotes seem to come in even faster. If the coyote was in a good spot to run, then I let the dogs have a go, if not I pulled the trigger.

Take care.

Last edited:
Love the pics,.

Hey Doc I remember seeing that pic of a badger and Jagd before. It was not on this forum. Glad you posted it up.

Tim

TT-Those are some nice pics. Gunner is a looker for sure...Im a sucker for a red dog! Is the dog in the ground denning coyotes? That lurcher is put together nice.

superwhite-That redtick looks like he is singin it to em!

Take care.

Thank you sir. That's Gunner coming out of a den. That den was in a crevice in a caliche pit and went down about 9-10 feet, before it turned. The lurcher is "Bullet", 50% Collie, 25% Greyhound, 25% Bulldog. The black pups I showed in one of my episodes are out of him and a greyhound/bulldog cross. I currently have him covering the leggy catahoula/bmc female, Annie, the "Coyote Freak". She's the bloody faced female in the same pics.

If you ever want to talk lurchers or longdogs, just give me a holler sometime. Would love to swap old stories. (575) 390-0048

Thanks...Tony

Reno at 12 weeks old - Deer killer in training
IMG_1295.jpg

Reno at 1 1/2 years turning into one heck of a deer killer

Labor_day_2012.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BoeydafunkReno looks pretty good... What kind of dog is he? You use him to bloodtrail the deer?

He is a 52 pound male McNab. I use him to jump deer on push drives, locate and bay up crippled deer, and trail and mark dead deer. We hunt in some very steep and thick terrain, so a dog is a huge help.

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450Doc or Craig, I've never seen or heard to much about coursing coyotes. I understand the basics I believe but can either one of you tell me how it goes? Do you call at all? Do you free cast or work off tracks?

Jeremy. I have only participated out of the jump box trucks that UphillDoc referred to. Can't remember a time when it wasn't a part of life. As a teenager going through my dirt bike phase (another whole story) the old timers would occasionally let us take our bikes along to flush coyotes out of rough country to the divides where the dog wagons could get on them.

I had a pretty bad wreck with a High School Literature teacher over his refusal to sign a grade report that had to come home one Friday to clear me for one of those Dirt Bike/Dog Wagon weekends. My grade was back up but he felt my behavior was sub par. From my point of view all I needed was the grade info. Made a bit of a fool of myself. There may have even been some personal attacks and insults involved. You know the type I am always worried about around here on Predator Masters?
blushing.gif

Our legends could see, line out, catch and some even kill a coyote by themselves consistently. But those outstanding dogs were rare over the years. Most often you were breeding, trading, buying, borrowing matching up dogs to get all those skills from a side of three to four dogs to haul and dump together. Then that pack would normally get it done consistently.

But there are also those legendary coyotes out there that could out run all. There is one that lives on the north divide of the Frenchman river right now. I haven't seen him run, but they tell me is unbelievable. Different rigs swing by his territory and give him a try regularly. One good friend had one of his best dogs of 30 plus years blow out a hind leg trying. It will be a sad day when some one does flush him with a full stomach or when he get's some years on him and get's him stretched.

Back