Ruger SR556 Pistol Grip Removal Question

GooseGrease

I want to replace my pistol grip on a Ruger SR556. I cannot tell by looking down in the hollow opening on the underside of the grip what type of screw / bolt is holding it in place. It looks like a star shaped nut on the outer edges with a round hole in the center. Am I not seeing something or what type of tool does it take to disassemble the handle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It is a standard machine screw. It should either be a hex or slot head screw. The star is a lock washer. It will screw out like a standard screw. On a side note, the grip holds in the spring and detent for the selector switch. The grip is easy to replace, just watch that you don't loose the spring and detent.

Originally Posted By: tactical assaultI hear ya. There is nothing like have to order a 30 cent spring and pay $10 shipping. Because when you loose that sucker, it is gone!!

Those are the sort of parts that it pays to keep a few on hand, also. I've been working on M16s and AR-15s for 39 years, and I recently lost that very spring while doing a camo paint job on one of my rifles. Boy, was I pissed at myself!

Spending $10-20 on spare springs, detents, and pins can save a lot of grief later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Terry N.Originally Posted By: tactical assaultI hear ya. There is nothing like have to order a 30 cent spring and pay $10 shipping. Because when you loose that sucker, it is gone!!

Those are the sort of parts that it pays to keep a few on hand, also. I've been working on M16s and AR-15s for 39 years, and I recently lost that very spring while doing a camo paint job on one of my rifles. Boy, was I pissed at myself!

Spending $10-20 on spare springs, detents, and pins can save a lot of grief later.

This is wisdom!!

Back