Ground squirrels in Washington...

Ray S.

I'm looking for info on ground squirrel hunting on public lands in Eastern WA, any help or info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Ray just how far east are ya talking? The ground squirrels I have found are around Naches, Rimrock lake and Mud Lake areas. Most of them stick close to the roads with water nearby.

I am not sure you will find much out in the farm fields or sage. They love the rocks and seem to be plentiful. Try the Oak Creek big game feeding area near SR 410 on SR 12. I was over there yesterday and saw a few sittin' on rocks checking out the cars passing by.

Thanks FALFire! That is about the area I was interested in, though even farther East would be fine. I will have to get over there and check it out, should be plenty of fun with my .22-250! It seems reasonable to assume that you are also a WA resident, which side of the Cascades are you on? I'm here on the West side. TTYL

You are darned-near next door FALFire, actually I'm just east of Kent. Good to know there are those of similar thinking nearby!

Gentlemen, I am in Vancouver, new to the varmint and .17 hmr shooting sports. If you have any more tips or hints about targets within 2-3 hours drive of here, I would appreciate hearing (email or post) from you.

Haven't the squirrels/sage rats gone down for the year already?

Anyone got time to show a new comer to varminting the ropes? I decided after years of big game huntign and being bored during the summer months with nothing to hunt to take up varminting. I bougth a Kimber 84M Varmint in 22-250 and have put a VXIII 6.5-20 on it as i was led to believe this was a good solid choice for what i wanted to do. Now i just need help figuring out some good loads to use and a place to go. If anyone would be so kind as to allow me to tag along for a hunt or two i would be indebted. I understand PD colonies and such are kinda rare and would never go back to another guys spot. i am open to about anythign as i work the medical field and only am at work 11 days/month.

VarmintKiller77,

I'm in Plyulliuoop Too, Let's hook up and try to kill a coyote or two. Or bust a few Grey Diggers on the east side.

It seems we are all having some trouble finding enough of the little digging varmint critters to satisfy our lust. At least in Washington. Well to help satisfy this, I went out and spread out a few clay pigeons in an old marble quarry. Walked out, pulled out the range finder, they were 330 yards to 347-348 yards. So I sat my but in the dust, put in 12 clicks, shot, didn't see it hit so I aimed again, fired at the next one. Seen it explode. Then looked up, sure as hell, there were two missing. Hit one on my first shot, just didn't see it. 12 clicks was right on. Shot a few more, then let my misses shoot. She hit one on her first shot too! (But then couldn't hit another one! Don't tell on me!) Had one that was the farthest to the right. Put it in the crosshairs, tried to hold as steady as I could, and squeezed er off. Looking through the scope I notice a small black piece missing out of the center of the pigeon. Figure I can hit it again, so I squeeze off another one. As I look through the scope I notice an even bigger hole in the center. I figure, "Dang, still didn't break," so I chamber another round thinking I'll get it this time, I raise the scope, get it centered, and think-"Hey, what the heck am I doing? I just put two through the center of that sucker, I"M GONNA SAVE THAT THING!" Get the ol' range finder out, range it to 345 yards, then walk out and get it. Heard of others doing it, just not anyone I know. Had to take it to work to show the guys!

814847241417.jpg

Here it is!

FALfire

Thanks for the invite, im sure i will take you up on it. Like i sadi i am just getting into this so i have no idea where to go. I got some handload ideas froma neighbor who has a few 22-250's but isnt in to varminting much, only when a coyote shows up while he is scouting deer or hiking. My gun just came in yesterday, so i will be picking it up Saturday i hope and sighting in on Sunday. Let me know when you want to go and well see if we can work something out before deer and duck seasons start, or i could be convinced to go shoot yotes even during the season i suppose! LOL

I've had good luck shooting ground squirrels out of vineyards, the owner's usually offer to pay for 22lr ammo. I shoot 223, but a few of my friends are shooting the 22-250, talk about a red mist. The little guys are pretty much underground now, but the rock chucks are still out in pretty good numbers. Sory, I don't have too many spots for the chucks, so I'm not going to give anything away. Anyway, drive around, when you find a good place, get ahold of the owner and get permission, they are usually more than happy to let you shoot on their land. Good luck.

The cycle I see in my area is the groundhogs start going under in Aug. They are already less active now than a month ago. They don't seem to care for the mid-summer heat.

The greydiggers are all over the place right now and will stay active through fall. They seem to not be bothered by the heat as much.

Thanks FALFire, its kinda hard finding farmers that will let a guy shoot a few squirrels. Had permission at one place, then at the last minute he pulled out. So, I guess its back to the 'ol gravel pits.

Back