Need new calling rifle glass

Johnnyote

I have went back a couple weeks on the optics thread and haven't really found the answer I was looking for.

I have a Howa ranchland compact that I like to carry hunting but I don't care for the nikkostearling scope that came on it from the factory. I am looking for something in a 9 power or less. Want a quality scope with the most light transmission. Want to keep it under $500. I have a couple of higher power Monarchs and a vari x II leupold. I have never shot thru anything else. All input and suggestions are welcome. Let me know if I am missing anything.

I know this post seems about like every other post on the optics forum, so thanks to everyone for humoring me.

Bushnell Elite or Zeiss Conquest

Good Luck!
smile.gif

vortex and save yourself some money. diamondback in 3x9 or 3.5x10 or a viper in 3x9. viper will be under $400 and diamondback less than that.

I recently picked up a 6.5x20x44 viper and its top notch!

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorvortex and save yourself some money. diamondback in 3x9 or 3.5x10 or a viper in 3x9. viper will be under $400 and diamondback less than that.

I recently picked up a 6.5x20x44 viper and its top notch!

They're hard to beat! Also, look around for a us Buckmaster. I picked up a 3-9x40 for $135 shipped. It looks LNIB!

Natchez has the Leupold VX3 2.5 X 8 X 36 for $399.99 free shipping and a choice of 2 Leupold extras.That is a great calling scope,11.9 oz. and very sharp & bright.

Last edited:
Do you loose light collection abilities with the smaller objective or just field of view. I was looking at something with a larger objective but if there is no real advantage.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyoteDo you loose light collection abilities with the smaller objective

Yes, but the pupil of your eye has to have the ability to dilate enough to take advantage of it.

At higher magnification it's a bigger factor, since the exit image is objective diameter / magnification.

Quote:Glass coatings do more for light transmission than objective size.

Not always, but less loss always helps.

Going with a fixed power that has fewer lenses will also help.

Last edited:
I have an SS 6x42 (www.swfa.com) mounted on the AR. Great glass ~$300 with a 30mm tube. Very stout. I'm just getting started so haven't used it on a stand yet, but I can say it is the brightest scope I've found in that price range. Might be worth looking into.

Pete

Originally Posted By: JohnnyoteI have went back a couple weeks on the optics thread and haven't really found the answer I was looking for.

I have a Howa ranchland compact that I like to carry hunting but I don't care for the nikkostearling scope that came on it from the factory. I am looking for something in a 9 power or less. Want a quality scope with the most light transmission. Want to keep it under $500. I have a couple of higher power Monarchs and a vari x II leupold. I have never shot thru anything else. All input and suggestions are welcome. Let me know if I am missing anything.

I know this post seems about like every other post on the optics forum, so thanks to everyone for humoring me.

Don't be a sucker for advertising garbage.

Light transmission is hype.

If you hold them next to each other, you cannot tell the difference between 99% and 94% light transmission.

It all looks the same.

Where light transmission makes a difference is in glare and shadow detail... and there is no way of measuring whether the 5% loss is in the tint of the glass or internal surface reflections - so don't waste your time memorizing light transmission numbers. You don't get enough information to make a smart decision.

Get a good solid scope that fits your needs and spend the rest on ammo and shoot it (a lot).

Originally Posted By: JohnnyoteDo you loose light collection abilities with the smaller objective or just field of view. I was looking at something with a larger objective but if there is no real advantage.

Neither...

Field of view is determined by the eyepiece diameter and the eye relief. The objective diameter has nothing to do with it.

Back