Anyone Hunt with a ............HONDA TRAIL 90..........

dan brothers

Hey Guys... does anyone use these Honda Trail 90 for coyote hunting or any other kind of hunting...? If so... what kind of Pros and Cons do you have....thanks...Dan

AAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

Originally Posted By: dan brothersHey Guys... does anyone use these Honda Trail 90 for coyote hunting or any other kind of hunting...? If so... what kind of Pros and Cons do you have....thanks...Dan

AAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

0 cons. My dad used 1 of those for years and years for hunting
or just jacking around. Put it into the trail gears and they'll
try to climb a tree. Dad passed away years ago but I still have
that honda 90. I haven't tried to start it in years but I should.

I have used one for years. It allows me to get around on cattle trails quietly and gives mobility that otherwise would take a lot of walking. Have also packed out several deer and elk quarters.

100B1990.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up this buck last day of the season while calling coyotes, came into puppy distress. loaded him up adn off we went, got some funny looks on the road back 5 miles

deer0041024x768800x600.jpg

A buddy of mine had a Trail 90 many years ago. He did some hunting and fishing using it. It was a good little cycle.

Impact..that is a wicked but super useful looking machine you have there.

I just bought a 1979 honda trail 90 this evening and plan on using it on my coyote hunting trips...IF... I can make it church mouse quiet... anyone have any ideas on that....?

I've used a bicycle in alot of places...but this baby should get me into some interesting places.

Rimrock.. I'm going to put a scabbard on mine as well... but not sure if I should use my leather one like yours... or my Kolpin ATV type rifle case. I guess I'll have to play with it.

Last edited:
Mike Grainger has one and uses it for hunting. He is the first one that I ever saw using one for coyote hunting.

I have one at the out-laws garage. I just need to get it running. I too like that scabbard idea, can you provide us more info or mounting instructions?

Glad to hear you got it and I don't think you'll regret it.
You kind of irritated me as I'm feeling the urge to get mine
running again. I used to really enjoy riding them thru the
woods, etc...

When I was in my early teens we took a family vacation into
the mountains in Wyoming and Colorado. That bike was perfect
to get up to some streams where you would have otherwise had
to hike to.

As far as making it quieter. How loud is it ?
I can't recall any of ours being very loud.
May need a new muffler or baffle and if you're going to be out boon docking on it, I'd really suggest a good spark
arrestor on the exhaust.

dan, thanks it's my bug out bike, 705cc big bore kit 80mph on the hwy or 40mph on the railroad tracks, fully loaded 42mpg 2 extra 1 gallon tanks give me 8 gallons total a 336 mile range next hurricain and i'm hitting the railroad tracks to Dallas.

did a 450 miles on dirt roads 3 day trip once, and a 1200 mile 4 day that was 40% dirt road.

but one of them trail 90's would be nice a lot of the time for hunting.

I use a single point sling instead of a gun rack , keeps it handy for those shot you drive up on yet out of the way

Impact... I have thought hard and long about how to run and call railroad tracks, since they always run through some rich coyote country.... and they usually run along rivers as well.

My number one goal is to make this exhaust as quiet as a electric bike... so that I can ride and call without coyotes hearing me riding into position. I mean it will be pretty quiet when going 5-10 mph... but I want it silent.

If I can creep through country without being heard... then I should have an edge... only being seen will be the issue then.

I get frustrated when I look out across a good chunk of land and wish I was over there calling... but when I think about walking way over there... and then walking back... I mostly shake my head and drive on by...but now I hope I can have an edge.

Dan, I have seen silencers advetised on T.V. for 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. I don't know how well they work but you can Google silencers for ATV's and find some sources.

"I get frustrated when I look out across a good chunk of land and wish I was over there calling... but when I think about walking way over there... and then walking back... I mostly shake my head and drive on by."

Well I'm the guy that still walks out there. However I'm not getting any younger and you definitely have my wheels turning in my head with using one of those Trail 90's.

I don't know about where you guys are, but the railroad gestapo here get pretty pissy when you are on their right of way. In fact they can get more than pissy. They'll call the local law in a heartbeat. You can and likely will be charged with trespassing.

Just something you may want to check into BEFORE venturing forth on RR property.

everytime I get into trouble... I just tell them that Larry said it was okay.

But my wife keeps telling me that it's my fault...and not Larrys... women... go figure...

I'll be looking into those ATV mufflers... thanks... Dan

Last edited:
Back