Anyone having problems w Timney Triggers?

OKBrent

I purchaced a new Timney trigger for my Remington 700 22-250 AI, to replace a timney that wouldn't hold a reliable setting. The trigger "slam fired" on me, A SUPER SCAREY situation!! Than when I tested it with a scale, It would drop at 1.14 lbs/oz, 1.15 lbs/oz than .5 oz. Back to the new trigger. I installed the trigger in the gun and began adjusting it. The lowest setting I could get from the trigger was 3.4 lbs/oz. I finally took the set screw and spring out of the trigger and still could not get it below 3 lbs. I called Timney and talked w the "tec" who sets them up. All he had to say was "I was able to get it to 1.5 lbs" I guess he sets all the triggers? He had nothing else to say or help me out. He said I can send it back but they would not pay shipping so I sent it back to Sinclair for a exchange. Sinclair sent me a check for my shipping without me even asking. I have always had great luck with them!
2nd trigger. I installed it tonight. I was able to get the pull down to 2 lbs. I like my coyote triggers set just a few oz under 2 lbs. The problem was it would slam fire when I would drop the bolt hard! At around 2. 12 lbs/oz it would stop slam firing. I thought my gun might be the problem so I put it in a 243 AI and it operated the same. I am done with messing with it and going to call them on Tues. Any suggestions....Thanks Brent

Happy to hear a explaination of your thoughts? I tried the trigger in another gun and found the same results? I have removed and installed six of these triggers with no problems, If you have done it before you know its not rocket science. Brent

I only have one thing to say.....get a Jewel. I put one in my Rem 22-250 and it is a sweetheart. Mine is set for about 14 oz. and it has stayed there for over a year now. Not bashing Timney, cause they have been around a long time and I always thought they were as good as any, but this Jewel is sweet.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted By: PLOTTHOUNDHave you checked to see if your stock or metal is touching the trigger. I put one in a Remington 788 and had to remove some wood. I took it down to 26oz with no problems and it passed all my safety tests. I'm really happy with it.

Originally Posted By: who meOriginally Posted By: PLOTTHOUNDHave you checked to see if your stock or metal is touching the trigger. I put one in a Remington 788 and had to remove some wood. I took it down to 26oz with no problems and it passed all my safety tests. I'm really happy with it.

+1 Timney trigger are wider that Remington you will need to open the trigger guard up. Make sure the trigger is not touching the guard.

You may need to remove some from the stock. No matter what trigger you use it has to clear the stock and the guard.

I am testing the triggers with the stock off the guns. I think I'll go with 2muchgun and mess with it again today. I can get the pull weight close to where I want it but it is very close to the point I start having slam fires. Thanks for the input. Brent

Back